Critique My Recovery Note

mapjunkie

I've had a complicated recovery for LG1362. I don't think the original description indicated the corect wingwall, so I submitted this one:

IN LINCOLN, AT THE INTERSECTION OF SALT CREEK AND A HIKER-BIKER TRAIL (FORMERLY CHARLESTON STREET) BRIDGE ON THE NORTH SIDE OF THE HAYMARKET PARK BASEBALL FACILITY, IN TOP OF AND 0.1 M (0.3 FT) NORTHEAST OF THE SOUTHWEST END OF THE SOUTH WINGWALL AT THE SOUTHEAST END OF THE BRIDGE SPANNING THE CREEK, AND 4.5 M (14.8 FT) SOUTHWEST OF THE STREET CENTER.

I've now started to second-guess myself, and I'm inviting criticism of my description. I've posted a diagram of the bridge.

The hiker trail is new, as is the ballpark. A section of Charleston Street to the north of the ballpark has been closed.

Does this note convey what's on the ground, or should I send a correction?

-Matt

mapjunkie -

Your description looks good.

If it were me, I'd simplify the directions just a bit to:

..... IN TOP OF AND 0.1 M (0.3 FT) NORTH OF THE SOUTH END OF THE HORIZONTAL SURFACE OF THE SOUTH WINGWALL AT THE SOUTHEAST END OF THE BRIDGE SPANNING THE CREEK .....

According to NGS photo standards, the direction the camera is looking should be noted. In the case of your picture, it would be "looking Northwest".

I would just arrange thIngs a a little differnt but yours works too!

yours

IN LINCOLN, AT THE INTERSECTION OF SALT CREEK AND A HIKER-BIKER TRAIL (FORMERLY CHARLESTON STREET) BRIDGE ON THE NORTH SIDE OF THE HAYMARKET PARK BASEBALL FACILITY, IN TOP OF AND 0.1 M (0.3 FT) NORTHEAST OF THE SOUTHWEST END OF THE SOUTH WINGWALL AT THE SOUTHEAST END OF THE BRIDGE SPANNING THE CREEK, AND 4.5 M (14.8 FT) SOUTHWEST OF THE STREET CENTER.

mine

IN LINCOLN, AT THE INTERSECTION OF SALT CREEK AND A HIKER-BIKER TRAIL (FORERMLY CHARLESTON STREET), ON THE NORTH SIDE OF THE HAYMARKET BASEBALL FACILITY. SET IN THE TOP OF SOUTHEAST END OF THE SOUTH WINGWALL OF BRIDGE SPANNING THE CREEK, 14.8 FT SOUTHWEST OF THE STREET CENTERLINE AND 0.3 FT NORTHEAST OF THE SOUTHWEST END.

TIP

When giving distances, start from the most distance object and work closer. Makes it easier for the next person to locate it.

Edited by Z15

BDT and Z15, Thanks for the input. I didn't consider rephrasing any of the other call-outs, it was just the "SOUTHWEST END OF THE SOUTHWEST WINGWALL" part that really bothered me. I've never seen left or right bridge ends (relative to flow) noted in any recoveries - that would seem to be easier to deal with. It's something we always used when I was surveying for my state's Natural Resource Comission. Must have been a local convention.

Thanks again - it's good to know I didn't confuse myself. :P

-Matt

Hydraulic engineers always want everything normal to to the stream flow. We did many hydraulic surveys for new bridge design surveys, had to map terrain from 500 ft down to 1500 ft up and up to the elevation of normal high water.

Edited by Z15