Now This Is An Extreme Cache...

And what's with the guy on the coning tower with a rifle in photo 8.c?...

It's not a conning tower. It's called the sail or the fairwater, and I note that something seems to be missing--her number. Subs used to have their number painted on the sail. Is that no longer the practice, or is this fellow being especially stealthy?

Edited by reveritt

It's not a conning tower. It's called the sail or the fairwater, and I note that something seems to be missing--her number. Subs used to have their number painted on the sail. Is that no longer the practice, or is this fellow being especially stealthy?

Duh! The sail. Thanks. I was never a submariner and the closest I got was touring a Boomer in exchange for showing some submariners what a cruiser looked like.

Thanks for correcting the surface ship guy.

:blink:

:P

Is that a golf club on the ice, below and behind the GPSr in the 1st pic?

I wonder what par is for that hole?

Finally a use for all the used golf balls found in caches?

That certainly looks like a nice 9 iron...

I don't know how they could have a very good follow-through with all the layers they're wearing though...

Ok so what's the difference between a conning tower and a "sail" or "fairwater"?

And yeah, this cache gotta be a 5/5 :angry:

...Ok so what's the difference between a conning tower and a "sail" or "fairwater"?...

This is really a question for a "bubblehead", but I believe that because the sail no longer contains the steering station, it is not properly called the conning tower. It is therefore not possible to conn the boat from the sail, except when on the surface.

The sail contains the bridge access trunk, which is a vertical, cylindrical extension of the pressure hull, that you climb up to get to the bridge. The sail also contains the hydraulic ram that operates the dive planes, and a whole bunch of other mechanical and electronic stuff. Except for the bridge access trunk, the sail is open to the sea (i.e., it fills with water when submerged0. The steering station is in the control room below the sail.