Caches Along A Route Instrucitons

I was saving the routes on the map with all the waypoints, when I saved only a route, and followed instructions, it worked.

It still is saving as a MPEG media file, even though I select .mps, if I could upload the screen like in the above samples I'd show you.

But it's working as is, so I'm happy.

Just last night I copied some files to my laptop. I had the same problem. :ph34r: I didn't even know I had Real Audio on that computer. :lol:

I changed the association in Properties and after that the extension on those files changed to the correct one: .mps.

Interesting. I was going to suggest checking the file association earlier, but I couldn't figure out why an MPS file would be associated with Real Player. :(

For those who may not know, to check the file association:

1) Open "My Computer"

2) Click on the "Tools" menu, then "Folder Options"

3) Click on the "File Types" tab.

4) Scroll down to "MPS" under the "Extensions" column.

5) Make sure it says "MapSource Document" under "File Types" column

If it doesn't (or the MPS extension isn't listed), click on MPS, then click the "Change" button, then choose "MapSource Application" from the programs list. If this doesn't work for some reason, the easiest way to fix this is to uninstall and reinstall your MapSource program (it should make the association automatically when it's installed).

Just one comment before I start digesting all the information you have shared so far. I updated my mapsource before my last trip and found that after 6.5, you can't plug your gps into your laptop and use it as a tracking devise. The GPS and tracking was taken out of the newer mapsources. I have since reloaded 6.5 and it worked fine on our last trip. Now if I can just follow directions and get the routing done it will be a great package.

The Arc Filter Method (2nd Method in the Original Post) that seems to spark the most interest here come up as a topic in our local thread where I posted the complete instructions, so I decided to repeat the instructions for the 2nd method here with all of the steps included:

1. Draw your route in Mapsource (this is easy if you let Mapsource autoroute).

2. Save the Mapsource file in the old .mps format using Save As (this is necessary because GSAK can't read the newer file format):

6771ba78-97dd-4575-be78-78c1830d944d.jpg

Note 1: Make sure you only have a route in Mapsource when you save the .mps file (don’t include any waypoints).

Note 2: For Magellan users with Mapsend, save your route as a .wpt file which I believe will work in the Arc Filter also.

3. Download multiple Pocket Queries spaced along the route.

4. Put them all into one folder and open them all into GSAK at once using these settings (change the path/folder name to the folder where you put your PQs):

35175cc7-8753-42bf-bb37-541a9489a607.jpg

5. Open up the GSAK filter dialog and go to the Arc/Poly tab. Click on Load from File and select the .mps file that you saved in step 2 (This will input a bunch of waypoints in to the Arc/Poly dialog box, representing your route - the waypoints are already loaded in the dialog in the image below):

e4a4a551-47de-4ea8-86cc-1fdc9d0771ea.jpg

6. Now just select the distance from your route that you want the filter to use and click GO. The filter will eliminate any caches that are more than 1 mile from your route (at least it will approximate that. You can now export the remaining caches to any of you applications that you want.)

Here is Trailgators 395 route with a 1 mile distance selected:

cd9d99ed-aff6-43a8-9679-6207377289cb.jpg

As a an interesting side note, robertlipe, the brains behind GSPBabel which drives the Arc Filter in GSAK has a method (from a link he posted previously) for using a Google Maps route in the Arc Filter to do caches along a route. If it is doable and Clyde is good to us, maybe this functionality will be incorporated into a future version of GSAK. This would eliminate the need to have a retail mapping application

As a an interesting side note, robertlipe, the brains behind GSPBabel which drives the Arc Filter in GSAK has a method (from a link he posted previously) for using a Google Maps route in the Arc Filter to do caches along a route. If it is doable and Clyde is good to us, maybe this functionality will be incorporated into a future version of GSAK. This would eliminate the need to have a retail mapping application

Yep, I had a play with this method and the results were promising. I have worked out a way to amtomate this so all you need to do is copy then past the google link (of your route) into GSAK and it will do the rest. I might also investigate being able to just drag the link to GSAK like you to to your favourites in IE.

I expect the feature to pop up in the next significant release of GSAK :)

Thanx for spelling this out as this remains a FAQ.

2. Save the Mapsource file in the old .mps format using Save As (this is necessary because GSAK can't read the newer file format):[/b]

Is this still true in the latest versions? I'd expect GPX and GDB to both work now.

As a an interesting side note, robertlipe, the brains behind GSPBabel which drives the Arc Filter in GSAK has a method

To give credit where it is due, Alan Curry put those instructions together. The core technique was a combination effort of Alan and Ron Parker. I may have added some value to the process, but I'm perftectly happy saying it was all them. :-)

2. Save the Mapsource file in the old .mps format using Save As (this is necessary because GSAK can't read the newer file format):[/b]

Is this still true in the latest versions? I'd expect GPX and GDB to both work now.

I just ran a quick test, saving the Mapsource file in the GDB format and when I tried opening the file into the GSAK Arc Filter, I got nothing. RM

BTW: I am using the latest build of GSAK

I am able to take routes (with EXITS as STOPS) saved as Streets & Trips maps, and import them as route filters. This works so well.

Getting the waypoints for the highway exits improves the filter function to a significant factor.

Yes I know that Streets & Trips costs a little, but this works even with the older cheap versions.

I just ran a quick test, saving the Mapsource file in the GDB format and when I tried opening the file into the GSAK Arc Filter, I got nothing. RM

BTW: I am using the latest build of GSAK

Yep, sorry I forgot GPSBabel now supports routes in GDB format. This one is on the list for the next release.

I just need to test if the file extension is .gdb then issue the correct syntax to GPSBabel for the conversion.

Yep, sorry I forgot GPSBabel now supports routes in GDB format. This one is on the list for the next release.

I just need to test if the file extension is .gdb then issue the correct syntax to GPSBabel for the conversion.

Clyde,

You posted the answer before I could ask the question. :D

Thanks!

The Arc Filter Method (2nd Method in the Original Post) that seems to spark the most interest here come up as a topic in our local thread where I posted the complete instructions, so I decided to repeat the instructions for the 2nd method here with all of the steps included

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to do this. I've been meaning to play with this capability of GSAK for months, but haven't gotten around to it. When I saw your writeup I had to try it. Worked like a charm, but you did deprive me of some of the fun of experimenting. :D

Anyway, I'm all set now for the next time I want to search along a route. Many thanks!

I was saving the routes on the map with all the waypoints, when I saved only a route, and followed instructions, it worked.

It still is saving as a MPEG media file, even though I select .mps, if I could upload the screen like in the above samples I'd show you.

But it's working as is, so I'm happy.

Just last night I copied some files to my laptop. I had the same problem. :D I didn't even know I had Real Audio on that computer. :D

I changed the association in Properties and after that the extension on those files changed to the correct one: .mps.

When I change the settings so that *.mps is Mapsource, my Real Player keeps stealing those, and changing *.mps back to Real Player.

When I have my Mapsource Files in a Directory window, and change *.mps to Mapsource, the ICONS change to mapsource, and if I just sit and stare at my monitor for a few seconds, I can see Real Player switching them back to Real Player ICONS.

No matter what I do, with ANY settings anywhere, I lose my *.mps settings.

I reinstalled the newest Real Player, and I told it not to include any files other than *.ra files, and NOT to include *.MPS files, but the dang Real Player keeps messing with me, so IM thinking of getting rid of it. The only problem is Real Player is mandatory for some website audio downloads.

At least it opens up in Mapsource, when I click on a file on my Desktop.

Edited by GOT GPS?
I am new to this and have Mapsend Direct route V 2.0. Do I make a route using the "Street Routes" function or the "Build Route" Function? Also, how do I save it as a .mps file so GSAK can read it? Thanks

If you look below the picture on Step 2, you will see this note:

Note 2: For Magellan users with Mapsend, save your route as a .wpt file which I believe will work in the Arc Filter also.

I would think that you can build your route any way you want. I don't have Mapsend myself since I am a Garmin fan, so I am making some assumptions based on what I have read. Give it a try and let me know if it works (or maybe another Mapsend user can chime in here). RM

When I change the settings so that *.mps is Mapsource, my Real Player keeps stealing those, and changing *.mps back to Real Player.

This is a bit off-topic, but several people seem to be having this problem, so bear with me. RealPlayer is known as a "poorly behaved" program because by default it does things like steal file associations. However, you can tame it.

In the version I have (Real Player 10), you go to: Tools>Preferences>Content>Media Types and UNcheck everything except "Real Audio and Real Video". Click on OK and it should stop stealing back the file associations, but will still play RealAudio and RealVideo files (since you left those checked).

If this fails, or you want to use Real Player for some audio/video files but not MPS files, go to: Tools>Preferences>Content>Media Types and click on the "Advanced" button. Scroll to and UNcheck "MPEG and AVI Video (mps, m2v, m1v, mpe)" (it's the fifth category down in the advanced list on my installation - you may have to scroll upwards to find it). Click OK.

Beware that if you update RealPlayer, it's liable to steal the settings back (I never update RealPlayer unless I absolutely have to). Good luck!

Edit: Hopefully this problem will go away with the next release of GSAK, when Clyde incorporates the new MapSource GDB file type, thus eliminating the need to use the MPS files that RealPlayer likes to grab.

Edited by Kai Team

For those that have MS S&T, MS Access, and GSAK This will give you the caches along your route, within the distance you want. I have included a link to a file I created to process one file into a usable file. It's a bit long, but it is precise. If anyone can compile a Micro Focus Cobol program I can get rid of the need for MS Access

1st -- create GPX files to cover your route. I have created GPX files to cover the states around me.

2nd -- open all files in GSAK

3rd -- export all caches into MS S&T - be sure waypoint name is set to "%code"

4th -- import caches into MS S&T - be sure the name is showing the waypoint name

5th -- create your route and click on get directions

6th -- click on find nearby places - at the bottom click next to the Around: to make it show "Entire route" - make the miles show how far off your route you would like to go. You can uncheck everything in "Show or Hide Places" if you like.

7th -- On the list you will see the file name that you imported, right click on that & click on add as stops - it will say that your route has changed, click on that to refresh directions.

8th -- right click on the directions - click on copy directions.

9th -- paste those directions into a file called directions.txt - this will need to be in a directory called "geocache" on your C: drive. "C:\geocache\directions.txt"

10th -- use this MS Access program I created to process the directions into a file called "gsakimport.txt"

11th -- click on the Filter button - goto the Arc/Poly tab - click on the Load from file - set the Filter Type to Points - set Distance to .1 - Click GO

You now have a list of Caches on your route. You can export this custom list to whatever file type you need, including a custom GPX file that I use on my PPC

The file is not secured so you can view how it works.

My MS Access file for processing waypoints

So far the problem I'm having is with the pocket queries. I run a bunch and the ONLY .zip file that gets sent is the first one. I can run a pq and get the file and then run another pq and nothing is sent. I don't get it.

Are you running a "bunch" of PQs or are you running the same one over and over? If you make a "new" PQ by editing an existing one, it's still the same PQ as far as Groundspeak is concerned and it can be run only once in 24 hours. If you want a bunch you have to make a new PQ for each. Keep in mind also, that you're limited to running five PQs in a day.

I ran a pq with a specific name and based on a zip code. The I changed the name and the zip code and ran it again. I got different results online but no file was sent. Do I have to back clear out and then go in again in order for it to work?

[Edit]

Yep. I guess that's exactly what you were saying because when I do it that way it works. Thanks. :laughing:

Edited by thrak
How do you get the geocache page URL to transfer over to Mapsource from GSAK? It seems to have been stripped during the "along a route" process...is there a tag I need to include ??? ;)

The gc.com URL isn't exported to MapSource by default (in fact, I'm not even sure it can be exported to Mapsource as a hyperlink). Can you be more specific about how you're trying to do this?

Edited by Kai Team
How do you get the geocache page URL to transfer over to Mapsource from GSAK? It seems to have been stripped during the "along a route" process...is there a tag I need to include ??? ;)

My answer from another thread:

Once you have used the GSAK filters to display just the caches that you are interested in, export the caches to a GPX file instead of exporting them directly to Mapsource (you can still use all of the smart naming stuff when you export to the GPX file - e.g. %typ1%con1%drop2 (%Dif/%Ter) for the cache name). Now just open Mapsource and us the File-Open command to open the GPX file that you just created. All of the URL links should be with the waypoints in Mapsource (It works fine for me anyway).

I have had the same issue when sending waypoints directly from GSAK to Mapsource. I have always assumed that it is because GSAK only supports the old .mps format which does not include the link info with the waypoints.

RM

My answer from another thread:

Once you have used the GSAK filters to display just the caches that you are interested in, export the caches to a GPX file instead of exporting them directly to Mapsource (you can still use all of the smart naming stuff when you export to the GPX file - e.g. %typ1%con1%drop2 (%Dif/%Ter) for the cache name). Now just open Mapsource and us the File-Open command to open the GPX file that you just created. All of the URL links should be with the waypoints in Mapsource (It works fine for me anyway).

I have had the same issue when sending waypoints directly from GSAK to Mapsource. I have always assumed that it is because GSAK only supports the old .mps format which does not include the link info with the waypoints.

RM

However, you shouldn't have to do this if you choose the GDB format when exporting to MapSource.

As per my previous post in this thread, the current version of GSAK does not support GDB format for the import of routes in the arc filter (an oversight to be corrected in the next release), but it does support GDB format when exporting MapSource.

MPS format does not support URL links, but GDB does.

Bummer, I already selected all the caches along my routes and have them saved in Mapsource w/o the URL links....anyway they could be recovered without starting all over again ?  ;)

If you still have your original GPX files (or you can rerun the PQ's), use method 1 at the beginning of this thread as follows:

-Start at step 2

-Skip Steps 3 & 4

-In Step 5, you will be converting your mapsource file into the GPX format (hopefully you kept the standard GC#### waypoint names or it won't work).

-Folow the rest of the steps, exporting to Mapsource with the GDB format at the end.

RM

Edited by Rocket Man
Although marking the exits as waypoints can be tedious, it saves either manually deleting waypoints from the map, or finding out that a "nearby" cache is actually 15 miles away (unless you want to park on the shoulder of the interstate and hop the guard rail - not recommended!). :wub:

I save off often traveled highway route exits and then can load them again. I've often thought that there should be a database of exits on major highways stored somewhere for use for this method of filtering along a route.

--Marky

California has lat/lon coordinates for the rest areas here. I wonder if since they are numbering the main highways they might have coordinates in the future for each exit in a database somewhere too.