Markings In The Landscape

Hi all,

I'm planning to hide a multi-cache using markings as clues in the landscape (a park). I've got the following questions:

a) What kind of markings can I use, taking into account the geocaching etiquette?

B) Which other possibilities for placing clues are there?

This is a list with what I've come up with so far.

Please give your opinion using the following letter system:

A : I can use this type of marking

B : I'd better seek permission to use this type of marking

C : I'd better not use this type of marking

Artificial objects are things like benches, fences, bridges, signposts, playground objects, lamp posts, etc.

Natural objects are mostly trees, tree stumps and stones.

A1 Artificial objects - Stone: Applying paint;

A2 Artificial objects - Wood: Writing with a water resistant marker pen;

A3 Artificial objects - Wood: Applying nails/screws;

A4 Artificial objects - Wood: Hiding a plastic card in a hole in the object;

A5 Artificial objects - Wood: Applying a small marker plaque with nails;

A6 Artificial objects - Wood: Carving;

A7 Artificial objects - Metal: Writing with a water resistant marker pen;

A8 Artificial objects - Metal: Using a small sticker;

A9 Artificial objects - Metal: Hiding a plastic card in a hole in the object;

A10 Artificial objects - Plastic: Writing with a water resistant marker pen;

N1 Natural objects - Stone: Applying paint;

N2 Natural objects- Wood: Writing with a water resistant marker pen;

N3 Natural objects - Wood: Applying nails/screws;

N4 Natural objects - Wood: Hiding a plastic card in a hole in the object;

N5 Natural objects - Wood: Applying a small marker plaque with nails;

N6 Natural objects - Wood: Carving;

Thanks in advance!

Edited by BigFurryMonster

Never nail/screw/paint or otherwise mar any natural or un-natural object. Landowners will frown on this.

Placing a waterproof card or a micro would be best. Also you could get a flat piece of aluminum/ stainless steel or other rustproof metal and stamp on them what you need. You can get the metal and stamps at most home improvement stores. Then wire it or use a wire tie to place it. This works real well wired to a chain link fence or something similar. Also you could get some magnetic paper and print what you need on it then laminate it.

Just some suggestions.

For A1 to A10 I would definitely seek permission unless it is your artificial object. If you bought it or made it, then it's a different story. The only exception in my mind is hiding a card in a hole assuming you do not have to alter the item in any way.

As for the natural items, only hiding the plastic card in a hole would be acceptable, assuming its a naturally occuring hole and not one you have to drill.

EDIT: clarification

Edited by Runaround

My opinion (and its just an opinion) is that it would be best to use the natural features of the object itself (whether it be a tree, a lamp post, a stump or a bench). I'm not quite sure what you are placing. Is it only a marker or are you actually putting clues or coordinates on the card/sticker/etc. ?

If you are not placing any text or images on the actual marker, I would use the existing objext (or a physical feature on the existing object) as the actual marker.

As far as text clues or coordinates, I have seen people use clear label tape from the office labelers and conceal them very well. They also coat it with something to make it more weatherproof.

Can you provide more detail of exactly how the markers will be used?

:ph34r:

There is a multi cache in Massachusetts that the cache hider used PVC pipe cut in 1 inch pieces, then sliced them open to be put on small trees. After prying them open to go around the limb they did not hurt the tree at all. A sharpie was used to write the coordinates on the white plastic. They were discretely placed so you did not see them from a distance. There are also magnets used if metal is available with coordinates written on them. The cache is called the Middlesex Canal Cache and is a series of multi with caches that lead to a final, all along a Historical defunct Canal, there are memorial markers along the old canal. It can be done in a day, but not by all! It was quite a challenge and very exhilerating to finish in a day, took us from dawn to dusk. :ph34r:

Is it only a marker or are you actually putting clues or coordinates on the card/sticker/etc. ?

Can you provide more detail of exactly how the markers will be used?

I want to put letters and/or numbers as markers in the landscape. These can then be combined to form coordinates.

Unfortunately, there are no letters or numbers already present that I can use.

There is a multi cache in Massachusetts that the cache hider used PVC pipe cut in 1 inch pieces, then sliced them open to be put on small trees. After prying them open to go around the limb they did not hurt the tree at all. A sharpie was used to write the coordinates on the white plastic. They were discretely placed so you did not see them from a distance. There are also magnets used if metal is available with coordinates written on them. The cache is called the Middlesex Canal Cache and is a series of multi with caches that lead to a final, all along a Historical defunct Canal, there are memorial markers along the old canal. It can be done in a day, but not by all! It was quite a challenge and very exhilerating to finish in a day, took us from dawn to dusk. :ph34r:

Ah - this cache it is.

Do you know what the width of those rings is? I guess it all depends on the tree, of course. Doesn't it hurt the tree when it grows bigger (wider) ?

Do you mean the pipe was opened along its length, effectively forming a 'C' shape (looked at from one end) with the ends of the C close together ?

What is a 'sharpie' ? A sharp object, like a knife ?

Don't magnets get removed fairly quickly if spotted by Muggles? Are they regular magnets, or nay special type?

Thanks!

Round doweling cut to a couple of inches and marked with a black indelible marker. this can be drilled to take some nyon string for a loop to be hung in a tree limb or just stuck in a hole. I've seen this done on 3 local multis - it probably should be urethaned to cut down on the mildew. They stay readable MUCH longer when they're hung (good air circulation) rather than stuck in holes. Quite inconspicous and no harm.

On one of the multis all the stages where nearly identical in placement, making it go pretty easy once you found the first one. On another each placement was variable adding to the challenge. Depends on what you want and how durable the landscape is.

IMHO, I wouldn't do any of those things on your list nor some of the other things folks have listed here. Rags on trees are trash. PVC pipes are trash as well as harmful to the tree when it grows. Pieces of metal or cards are also trash.

If you want to make cachers find the coords, then use the actual objects themselves. Say you need a 3, then find a cluster of plants with three leaves (there's lots of those!). Count the number of boulders, or parking spaces, or whatever but never ever add more clutter and junk to the area. Remember, CITO.

I trust you've read the section of the cache listing guidelines about defacing any natural or man-made object in order to provide a clue or a logging method.

Against the backdrop of those guidelines, I would not do any of the things on your list except for putting a plastic clue card inside of an EXISTING hole in an object.

i'd have to agree with just about everyone here.

nothing on that list is good except the card placed in an existing void.

anything else is likely to draw the ire of your finders..

and the rag thing? please, just no... all we need is environmental trashiness being required to find the caches now...

:P

Do you know what the width of those rings is? I guess it all depends on the tree, of course. Doesn't it hurt the tree when it grows bigger (wider) ?

It'd take years (probably decades) for the trees chosen to grow large enough that they'd fill the ring. Even if this cache series lasts that long, the cache owner is very responsible and would simply move the ring to another tree. (Or if the owner ever decided to stop caching, they're the type who'd take the time to clean up the series first.) Also, the rings are relatively thin - approx 5mm - so if all else fails, a growing tree should just force the ring open along the split and eventually break the ring off. (As geo50chevy mentioned, the rings were originally placed by prying them open along the split and slipping them around the trees - i.e., it doesn't take a huge amount of force to open the ring up.)

Example of one of these rings, with all written information fuzzed out - this will give you an idea of the relative sizes:

sample_ring.jpg

Do you mean the pipe was opened along its length, effectively forming a 'C' shape (looked at from one end) with the ends of the C close together ?

Yes, BigFurryMonster, you're picturing it correctly. You can't see the split in the photo above - it's on the side of the ring that's behind the tree - but in the photo the split would be vertical.

What is a 'sharpie' ? A sharp object, like a knife ?

A permanent marker. ("Sharpie" is the brand name of a very common line of permanent markers here in the U.S.)

Don't magnets get removed fairly quickly if spotted by Muggles? Are they regular magnets, or nay special type?

Depends on where they're hidden. :P These are in locations that muggles are unlikely to notice. Even knowing what I was looking for, I had trouble spotting one of them. :blink: And yes, they're a common style of magnet, nothing exotic.