Hoarded Jeep

M-T-P

Ambrosia, I am delighted to answer your question. Go to the Travel Bug Advanced Search Page and enter White Jeep Travel Bug in the keyword search box. This will return an alphabetized list of all the WJTB's.

To anyone else desiring to nitpick the volunteers who distributed the White Jeep Travel Bugs: don't go there. I've heard quite enough misdirected abuse. Please focus on those who pick up the WJTB's from caches and then keep them. Thank you.

I'm not trying to nitpick the volunteers I'm just curious, if it says the location is 4x4 Jeep does that mean they have not been distributed?

Thanks.

Not necessarily--all it tells you is that nobody has logged them. Doesn't mean they aren't in somebody's hands...just that they haven't fessed up to it yet. :anitongue:

Nushiekitty, that is correct. If the WJTB has not been grabbed for placement in its first cache, it remains in the hands of the owner, which is the Jeep 4x4 account. Note, however, that in some areas, "virgin" WJTB's are being left in caches without being grabbed and dropped onto the page. This is being done so that encountering the WJTB is a serendipitous surprise, rather than a mad dash race by those eagerly scanning the cache and travel bug search results to monitor for new WJTB drops.

Nushiekitty, that is correct. If the WJTB has not been grabbed for placement in its first cache, it remains in the hands of the owner, which is the Jeep 4x4 account. Note, however, that in some areas, "virgin" WJTB's are being left in caches without being grabbed and dropped onto the page. This is being done so that encountering the WJTB is a serendipitous surprise, rather than a mad dash race by those eagerly scanning the cache and travel bug search results to monitor for new WJTB drops.

Wow, that would be an excelent surprise! :anitongue:

Are you feeling guilty? I hear that you have one. :anitongue:  Sawdust92

LOL! You know, I heard that exact same thing. :) I'll admit, I've got one in my hands right now, but only until I find a good way to complete one of its missions for June.

What about that Jeep of yours? :anitongue:

M-T-P

I also have some jeeps that I will send out.And know that there are jeeps in caches that have not been logged so that you never know where you will find one.I did a simple maint. run on my caches and found my first jeep in one of my own caches(SUPRIZE).I will put it in a new cache today.THE VOLENTEERS ARE DOING THEIR JOB GETTING THE JEEPS OUT.Now its our job to find them and move them on there way.

If WJTBs are being placed in existing caches and not logged, then those cachers who've already found those caches are in effect somewhat excluded, yes? Good for those yet to hunt, but kindof a bummer on the flipside.

In the sense that I'm not going to go revisit all the WJTB-sizable caches I logged in the past in hope of finding an unlogged WJ... that would be fanatical.

I would, on the other hand, revisit a cache I've logged in the past to grab a WJ that was logged into it (me and everyone else within 15 miles, I'd wager!)

Any thoughts?

At an "impromptu event cache" the other night I learned that was exactly what had been done. A WJTB had been placed in a cache about 20 miles from my house. I just found that cache two weeks ago . . . :ph34r:

Someone who had already found that cache raced off to retrieve the WJTB . . .

Are you feeling guilty? I hear that you have one. :ph34r:  Sawdust92

LOL! You know, I heard that exact same thing. :laughing: I'll admit, I've got one in my hands right now, but only until I find a good way to complete one of its missions for June.

What about that Jeep of yours? :laughing:

M-T-P

Sheesh, figure it out before the end of the fracking month and get it in the cache so someone else can worry about the mission before the end of June, will ya? It is one of the few in this area, so keep it circulating!

If WJTBs are being placed in existing caches and not logged, then those cachers who've already found those caches are in effect somewhat excluded, yes? Good for those yet to hunt, but kindof a bummer on the flipside.

In the sense that I'm not going to go revisit all the WJTB-sizable caches I logged in the past in hope of finding an unlogged WJ... that would be fanatical.

I would, on the other hand, revisit a cache I've logged in the past to grab a WJ that was logged into it (me and everyone else within 15 miles, I'd wager!)

Any thoughts?

15 miles?? Heck, I drove from Boston to Vermont for a YELLOW Jeep. (Well, two of them actually.) :ph34r:

Sheesh, figure it out before the end of the fracking month and get it in the cache so someone else can worry about the mission before the end of June, will ya?  It is one of the few in this area, so keep it circulating!

Whew, someone is getting a little testy. FYI, there have been at least two in our area, and I just found mine 2 days ago. There might have even been (or may still be) more out there. These two were claimed in less than three hours total for each of them, so you might have just missed the others. So hold your horses little buckaroo, this Jeep is going with me to Port Aransas for a few days, but will be back in no time. Keep pushing and you'll be swimming for it! :ph34r:

Meanwhile, back at the ranch.......

I think the volunteers have done an excellent job in Southwestern VA and Northeast TN. They arrived to us in a quick and efficient manner. With the size of them, it's sometimes difficult to find a cache they can physically be placed in. But they're getting out there. The aggravating thing we're encountering is they are listed in a cache's inventory but they aren't to be found when you get to the cache. I guess there's a lot of mantle pieces out there already?

I think the names with the jeeps is sort of cool. I have one I'm trying to get to a cache that shares the same name as the cache. I also attended an event where the family's last name was the same as the jeeps name. Many at that very event commented how they like the name of their jeep and they wouldn't trade out with jeeps from neighboring states. I wonder if they will ever place them in a cache? If a low percentage of jeeps make it into distribution should that area's allocation of jeeps be pulled? I think it should, what's the feelings on that?

Edited by cudlecub
Ambrosia, I am delighted to answer your question. Go to the Travel Bug Advanced Search Page and enter White Jeep Travel Bug in the keyword search box. This will return an alphabetized list of all the WJTB's.

To anyone else desiring to nitpick the volunteers who distributed the White Jeep Travel Bugs: don't go there. I've heard quite enough misdirected abuse. Please focus on those who pick up the WJTB's from caches and then keep them. Thank you.

Without too much trouble I found that there are WJTBs named "Alan" and "Williams" ... wish I could get my hands on 'em, I would hoard them!

/back OT

My one remaining WJTB is being saved (not hoarded) until I can come up with a great cache to put it in.

Please don't jump all over me for not "getting it" but what is the deal with the WJTB's? I watched one go in one of my caches and about 4 people were there that day looking for it. How are these different then other TB's? Why do people want them so bad?

Probably the biggest reason is just because they're the "latest thing. They are a novelty and their fascination will die off quickly just like the YJTB's of last year.

Another reason is the hope of wiining a brand new Jeep or other prizes..

Please don't jump all over me for not "getting it" but what is the deal with the WJTB's? I watched one go in one of my caches and about 4 people were there that day looking for it.  How are these different  then other TB's? Why do people want them so bad?

Probably the biggest reason is just because they're the "latest thing. They are a novelty and their fascination will die off quickly just like the YJTB's of last year.

Another reason is the hope of wiining a brand new Jeep or other prizes..

How can someone win a jeep?

I distributed the AGA's allotment by dividing the state into thirds and then having 3 active cachers in each of the three regions put them in caches - some of them are logged in and others not, so that some can be a surprise rather than a target!

Seems to have worked for us and no matter where you are in Alabama you stand an equal chance of having some near you!

Now, why grown men and women are so excited about chasing these things is another story, but we are! Love it!

As to the question of hoarding, I haven't seen it with these, nor did I see it much with the original Yellow Jeeps, many of which are still roaming Alabama!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Um, I didn't get the sense the OP was attacking the volunteer distributors so much as those who have FOUND them since then. I am sure the volunteers have done as good a job as they possibly can getting them into circulation.

I am also reasonably sure that it's only a matter of time until most of them turn up missing because they're sitting on someones desk or dash. That's not an accusation, that's reality. Go look up the YJTB's if you doubt it, and see how many of the caches where they are supposed to be show them dropped off, NEVER picked up and multiple logs saying the "YJTB wasn't there".

Like I said, not a complaint, just a reality.

Ambrosia, I am delighted to answer your question.  Go to the Travel Bug Advanced Search Page and enter White Jeep Travel Bug in the keyword search box.  This will return an alphabetized list of all the WJTB's.

To anyone else desiring to nitpick the volunteers who distributed the White Jeep Travel Bugs: don't go there.  I've heard quite enough misdirected abuse.  Please focus on those who pick up the WJTB's from caches and then keep them.  Thank you.

Um, I didn't get the sense the OP was attacking the volunteer distributors so much as those who have FOUND them since then. I am sure the volunteers have done as good a job as they possibly can getting them into circulation.

I am also reasonably sure that it's only a matter of time until most of them turn up missing because they're sitting on someones desk or dash. That's not an accusation, that's reality. Go look up the YJTB's if you doubt it, and see how many of the caches where they are supposed to be show them dropped off, NEVER picked up and multiple logs saying the "YJTB wasn't there".

Um, where did I say anything at all directed to the OP?

My statement was directed to "anyone else." It was precautionary and pre-emptive, based upon the number of other forum threads, private messages and e-mails that have taken issue with the handling of these stupid little toys by myself and others who volunteered their time to help out. One Groundspeak volunteer was accused of "hoarding" because he logged all the Jeeps into the event cache where they were to be distributed a day or two later. We really don't need any more of that nonsense.

As for your assertion that there are lots of Yellow Jeeps from last year that are sitting on cache pages with multiple logs complaining about them not being there, I'm surprised to hear that there are still examples of this. I personally went through ALL of the Yellow Jeeps, with a February 2005 cutoff date, and removed every YJTB that was confirmed missing from a cache with no evidence of who had taken it. They were sent to "an unknown location." I did not bother removing missing jeeps from archived caches, including archived events.

This was a project that took many hours of work. It is possible that I missed a few. If so, I apologize. If you see a cache page that says there should be a Yellow Jeep, but several finders say it isn't there, do everyone a favor and alert the cache owner that they can kick the Jeep off their page by using the "mark bug as missing" option. If that doesn't work, any Groundspeak volunteer can help out, too.

...If you see a cache page that says there should be a Yellow Jeep, but several finders say it isn't there, do everyone a favor and alert the cache owner that they can kick the Jeep off their page by using the "mark bug as missing" option.

That's a new one for me; I'm constantly amazed with newly discovered bells and whistles on this site (I didn't know that)!

Lep, that must have taken a long time. Thanks for your efforts. :rolleyes::lol:

The "mark bug as missing" option was introduced on December 16, 2003, as part of the redesign of the Travel Bug functionality for the new codebase. Based on my Yellow Jeep cleanup, I am quite convinced that the majority of cache owners and bug owners are unaware of their ability to use this feature.

The "mark bug as missing" option was introduced on December 16, 2003, as part of the redesign of the Travel Bug functionality for the new codebase. Based on my Yellow Jeep cleanup, I am quite convinced that the majority of cache owners and bug owners are unaware of their ability to use this feature.

I knew bug owners could use it, but it wasn't until a few months ago, when people were complaining about one of my caches showing bugs and coins that were not in it, that I found out the cache owner could mark them missing as well. Handy feature!

Ambrosia, I am delighted to answer your question.  Go to the Travel Bug Advanced Search Page and enter White Jeep Travel Bug in the keyword search box.  This will return an alphabetized list of all the WJTB's.

To anyone else desiring to nitpick the volunteers who distributed the White Jeep Travel Bugs: don't go there.  I've heard quite enough misdirected abuse.  Please focus on those who pick up the WJTB's from caches and then keep them.  Thank you.

Um, where did I say anything at all directed to the OP?

Lep,

Your very first post in this thread, the one I replied to, was:

To anyone else desiring to nitpick the volunteers who distributed the White Jeep Travel Bugs: don't go there

The emphasis is mine, but you did clearly say anyone ELSE, implying that someone had already done exactly that. I understand your annoyance at having been flamed in other threads, but that wasn't necessary in this thread.

If it was pre-emptive to AVOID anyone flaming the distributors, I'm sorry, but that's not how it appeared in your post, which occured before ANYONE flamed ANYONE.

edit: spelling

Edited by ParrotRob

I have explained my intentions underlying my original post.

ParrotRob, I believe that your premise is flawed; namely, that my post preceded "ANYONE" flaming "ANYONE." If you look around the forums at other threads discussing these stupid little toys, you'll see direct personal attacks against me and other volunteers. These preceded the start of this thread. With a topic title like "Hoarded Jeep," I considered the territory ripe for *further* flaming.

But if you prefer to disregard all that context, and instead to nitpick individual words in my forum posts, be my guest. My actions as a volunteer distributor for Jeeps are fair game for criticisim, as are my posts about the subject.

I have explained my intentions underlying my original post.

ParrotRob, I believe that your premise is flawed; namely, that my post preceded "ANYONE" flaming "ANYONE." If you look around the forums at other threads discussing these stupid little toys, you'll see direct personal attacks against me and other volunteers. These preceded the start of this thread. With a topic title like "Hoarded Jeep," I considered the territory ripe for *further* flaming.

But if you prefer to disregard all that context, and instead to nitpick individual words in my forum posts, be my guest. My actions as a volunteer distributor for Jeeps are fair game for criticisim, as are my posts about the subject.

/shrug. Not trying to start (or add fuel to) a flame war or to pick a fight with you Lep, I just think you came down a little hard on the OP in *this* thread, that's all.

I, for one, appreciate all the work that volunteers do, be it distributing Jeeps, maintaining forums, the web site, whatever. When I am not physically able to cache (which is most of the time), this site provides a great deal of amusement and entertainment for me.

But yes, I did consider this thread to stand in and of itself, and did not take into consideration the actions of other flamers on other threads upon seeing your reaction to the OP in this one.

I'll just leave it at this - thanks for the work you do, I'm sorry you feel that the actions of some idiots in some threads requires pre-emptive defensive action on your part in EVERY thread. If volunteering caused ME that much angst, I'd have quit doing it long ago. Hats off to you.

Im announcing that I was also a volunteer WJTB dristributor so that Lep doesn't have to face the brunt of any criticism alone.

It looks like you *are* a WJTB distributor, or did you really find all those in your stats page???

I have distributed them all and have none left, so I WAS a distributor.

the biggest jeep problem in my area seems to be jeeps that log into and out of many caches, but never leave the possession of the same cacher. :rolleyes:

i heard a rumor that leonard nemoy is preparing a new "in search of" episode just to explore this phenomenon...