Caching With Dog(s)

Nick428

I have been caching for a little less than six monthes now and on most of the hunts I bring my dog Lacey who is a Shiba Inu with me. She loves the outdoors and I love taking her with my yet I'm not sure how big of a geocaching fan she is.

Lacey will be 2 years old in August and I have still yet to try taking her off the leash while hiking. I have her off the leash in my front yard and she knows her boundaries. I trust she will stay by me and not run off as soon as I let her off in the woods. However I am worried that she'll chase after any animal that comes by. Also she tends to get a little over playfull with dogs which could be looked at as rough in some peoples eyes. Another thing is when I get to the area of a cache and I am looking for it she begin to bark and wimper because she wants to keep moving.

My point is how did you cachers with dogs go about training your dogs off the leash and how do they act while geocaching. What type of environment did you train them in, how long did it take, etc.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance.

As a fellow cacher that is terrified of dogs, even those classified as friendly by their owners, I ask that you please respect the leash laws in your state if there are some. Just because others typically let their dog of the leash does not mean that it is okay to do.

Thanks and happy caching!

Mrs Nushiekitty

Mano, I've got two cocker spaniels. One absolutely loves getting out, Yamadog. You ought to see her mud! She locks in the 4 wheel drive and she goes in! The other is a sissy dog (Honda Dog) and will not get dirty or wet or hot, etc. Will sit in the truck. But in the field, she is the natural hunter. Makes perfect circles and listens well. Neither are on leashes unless we're in a crowd. Then Honda Dog gets the leash. Yamadog is pretty tame. ... I guess my advise is whatever your gut tells you. If you don't think the dog will obey commands, then the leash is what you go with. ... Neither had formal training.

:anitongue:

00b000c4-bbd0-4ed1-91d4-6a48329aa80d.jpg

I only take my dogs off leash when I'm in a area that I know nobody will be around. With both my dogs I've had them off the leash since they were pups, they are better in the trail then around town. I suggest go to a diffcult cache that hasn't been done in a while or dosen't have many vistiors, and let her go try large fenced in areas if your not sure she'll come back.

6908dc0e-d30b-4b16-8ea9-1e7e89d2ff24.jpg

Edited by C&C+COMPANY

We have brought our dog with us several times, and once she even found the cache. The only times I bring her is if we are doing caches that require a lenthy hike, she always comes back but I have seen dogs take off after things while hunting and that sort of thing. I guess one way of looking at it is if she doesnt come back she wasnt much of a dog to start with....

My advise to you is to work on one thing constantly and get it down. You must be able to command your dog to sit and stay in any situation. If you are hunting a cache while your dog is off leash and another hiker approaches with their dog, you need to be able to have your dog on leash ASAP. Commanding your dog to sit and stay until you can put the leash on is a must. I was hiking the other day and my dog was ahead of me when I heard the sound of a rattlesnake, it was coiled up just off of the trail between my dog and I :anitongue: . If my dog had tried to come back to me it could have gotten ugly, but because she will sit and stay when commanded to, I was able to scramble around the snake and we moved on up the trail.

After that you can work on other off leash commands.

What TJ&B says is absoluty dead on. The only thing I'd add is the importance of training the dog to obey both verbal commands and hand gestures. Why? For instance, in the above senario involving the rattler, if your dog will "stay" if given the hand signal alone, less noise is made and there is a less chance of spooking the snake.

Believe it or not, I trained CoffeeDog to stay with me using a laser pointer! Not all dogs respond to them, but she loves chasing the little red dot. So we have a game. The dot always starts near me and goes away. She chases after it, just as she would a little animal or something. But she knows that it will not re-appear until she comes back to me. So, after finishing her little chase, she always comes right back.

You could probably achieve the same effect with a ball, if your dog is suitably motivated by chasing it. Problem with a ball is getting it back from the dog! :anitongue:

When we are out on the trail, she never lets herself get out of visual range. I've done a lot of other things to reinforce this behavior, though, including a lot of praise for staying with me. It's possible that some dogs may just be the wandering type, though, and may not be trainable. You'll have to try it and find out.

Finally, I always make sure that off-leash dogs are allowed before I let her off leash on a cache hunt. Luckily, in the San Francisco Bay Area, we have the East Bay Regional Park District, which has many areas in their parks that allow dogs off-leash. For those who are afraid of dogs, I will note that, in those parks, the free-ranging cows (and bulls!) are a lot scarier to me than any off-leash dog would ever be!

All of your inputs have made some good points. I think what I might do first is take her to a local tennis court in a park that is fenced in and just have her walk around with me, see how she does. After that I might try to do as someone said and take her to a wooded area that is mainly free of other people.

As I said previously I trust Lacey completely that she will not run away completely out of eyesight. But I do think she may chase until she relizes what she has done and come back or stop in her tracks scared (which she does often). I think in time and with practice she will get it. She is a bright dog.

Thanx for all the help. Keep the advice coming.

My advice is if there is a leash law, follow it. I really don't like to see animals not allowed to run free, but people should be free to travel without being harrassed by uncontrolled animals. Also, consider the potential risk of letting your dog loose. I know of an elderly woman who was knocked down by a "friendly" dog that jumped up on her when she was getting her mail. Her hip was broken and she never returned to her home. This was 20 years ago when attitudes were different.

Here is something to think about. Your dog injures someone. There is a leash law that you did not obey. Do you think your insurance company will will cover you in the lawsuit when you were breaking the law? How many personal injury lawyers are willing to sue you for free? Will your insurance company pay for your lawyers?

How about the cacher who said this?: "I only take my dogs off leash when I'm in a area that I know nobody will be around." My only possible question is how do you know nobody is around? Geocachers are pretty tricky people who tend to sneak up on you very quietly.

Every dog will bite, so please keep yours away from me.

Thank you to all of you who are giving advice on how to help train my dog, as that is what I was looking for.

Wasn't expecting all the negative comments, geuss there is always the people who look at the cup as half empty instead of half full. I do not expect my dog to bite someone nor break somes hip nor attack a fellow cacher.

I am not worried about Lacey attacking anyone and if she does I will be behind her 100 % knowing she had to have had good reason. She is a house dog a hiking dog a family dog NOT a let me attack anything that I see dog.

Please keep the training advice coming and not the I'm terrified of dogs speeches.

End of rant. Thank You.

I am not worried about Lacey attacking anyone and if she does I will be behind her 100 % knowing she had to have had good reason.  She is a house dog a hiking dog a family dog NOT a let me attack anything that I see dog.

While I have no problem with dogs being off leash there is one thing you should remember. Dogs are animals. They don't need a reason to bite, at least not a reason like you and I would see it. Some dogs are more prone to biting then others, and even if yours is a breed that is very calm and not prone to biting, it is always a possiblity, however small. I am sure you are a responsible owner, and your dog a nice dog, but it would be a mistake to think your dog is exempt from it's natural instints totally. Mostly, maybe, but definitely not totally. Even a nice dog can bite unexpectedly.

Edited by twjolson & Kay
I am not worried about Lacey attacking anyone and if she does I will be behind her 100 % knowing she had to have had good reason.  She is a house dog a hiking dog a family dog NOT a let me attack anything that I see dog.

While I have no problem with dogs being off leash there is one thing you should remember. Dogs are animals. They don't need a reason to bite, at least not a reason like you and I would see it. Some dogs are more prone to biting then others, and even if yours is a breed that is very calm and not prone to biting, it is always a possiblity, however small. I am sure you are a responsible owner, and your dog a nice dog, but it would be a mistake to think your dog is exempt from it's natural instints totally. Mostly, maybe, but definitely not totally. Even a nice dog can bite unexpectedly.

You are right and I agree. I was just trying to get the point across that it was not the type of information I was looking for. I keep a very good eye on Lacey even though I do trust her. I know all these things.

Please not turn this thread into a dog instincts thread. Thanx.

By the way t & kay I think I might have to give the plastic tupperware container thing a try :anitongue: . Boy would that be amazing.

Edited by Nick428

Our dogs are great companions to take caching, but we're always careful about allowing them off-leash. Keep in mind that not everyone likes dogs, even if they're friendly.

My neighbor has this strange reaction to one of our dogs. He'll run up his driveway and dash into the house if our dog barks. Needless to say, we're careful about letting him out without a leash. The dog, that is.

Edited by tntyz
Thank you to all of you who are giving advice on how to help train my dog, as that is what I was looking for.

Wasn't expecting all the negative comments, geuss there is always the people who look at the cup as half empty instead of half full.

However I am worried that she'll chase after any animal that comes by.

Also she tends to get a little over playfull with dogs which could be looked at as rough in some peoples eyes.

I am sorry I came off sounding negative, as I often do. Please notice the subtle hint of my nature in my avatar. I gave my opinion on the risks you take by caching with a dog that you have stated by your own admission, you can't trust or control. I have twice had loose dogs jump on me while caching, where there were signs stating that all pets must be leashed. Here is a quote from one a post to a cache that I found a while back.

We found it and exchanged a couple of robots for a ball and a dino. This was our fourth for the day and as a large, loose, and very wet dog attacked us, it was our last

When I go caching, I enjoy getting away from my usual environment and being able to go on a small adventure that does not include animals jumping on me. If there is a leash law, follow it. If you can't control your animal, keep it on a leash, as you do. As I stated in my original post, I really don't like to see animals not allowed to run free, which is why I do not own a dog. There is a leash law in the town where I live, fencing my yard is impractical and I will not chain an animal by the neck on a dog run.

As far as your rant about negative comments, and not receiving the information you want, I have to ask why you are even asking for dog training advice on a geocaching forum? I understand a thread can go off topic from the intent of the forum, but your request way out in left field. Perhaps you could do a google search for "dog training advice with only positive responses" where you might find a forum with friendlier and more knowledgable readers.

All in all Johnx no harm done whatsoever. I understand your point and it is one well taken.

I asked for hiking dog opinions on here because I know there are many cachers that hike with their dogs. I wanted to see what they thought and how they go about it.

I picked up some good pointers so far and some good points yours being one of them.

No hard feelings, we're all here for the same reason, the love of the sport.

Edited by Nick428

Let's talk about the positive aspects:

Some people fear that actual tracking is too difficult or time consuming, so here are some less elaborate ways of doing basically the same thing!

* You can hide treats in your house for your dog to find. The most convenient way to practise this game is to teach your dog to sit still while you go to another room (or several rooms) and hide a treat.

* When you go for a walk with your dog, you can sometimes stop and hide treats for him. It's easiest if your dog sits waiting while you hide the treat in the grass, behind a tree etc., and only starts searching when you give the permission. You can make this more difficult by sometimes hiding the treats on low branches of trees, on fences, etc. so that your dog really has to do some work in order to find and get the treat. And remember that you are doing this in order to give the dog some work to do, so don't help him if it seems to take a long time to find the treat (otherwise he'll learn to expect help from you!)

* Instead of hiding treats, you can hide your dog's favourite toy and ask him to find it. If you would like this to resemble 'real' tracking, drop the toy (or treat) on the track where you walk (= on your footstep) and don't come back to your dog the same route.

This is the way puppies can be introduced to tracking.

* (Sue Mills:) Another variation of the hiding treats to be found is to hide a favorite toy or ball and reward the dog with a brief game when she finds it. The next step is to hide similar, and gradually, quite different objects for the dog to find and retrieve. Lots of fun, can be practical (if you teach object names :anitongue: and teaches your beastie to carry all manner of strange things for you... (Sue also mentions how creative dogs get when they learn to find toys hidden in difficult places like bathroom sinks.)

* You can teach your dog to pick up an object with your scent when it is among strange objects. You can do with this sticks, stones, etc. in order to facilitate the availability of non-scented objects.

* Hide and seek -- teach your dog to find a person who is hiding in another room, behind a tree, etc. (He can use air scenting, or tracking, or both, depending on where you are practising.) Kids love this.

These tips will work very well for geocaching dogs. Every time you find a cache, act really excited and let Rover sniff the open container so he gets an idea of what he's sniffing for.

Off-leash walking with your pooch is a great workout for both of you. Keep a little bag of especially tasty treats to reward him for sticking close. Take dog training classes to increase your confidence in his ability to stay with you, and PRACTICE THE LESSONS THEY TEACH! Dogs love consistency and to know who is in charge. You can be that person without using physical discipline.

You'll always meet people who are afraid of dogs. If you encounter folks like that, just have your dog ignore them by having him pay attention to you. It' a process, but well worth it.

Yes, I'm a dog trainer, but not an apologist. Most pooches are what we let them become.pics%20098.jpg

You are right and I agree. I was just trying to get the point across that it was not the type of information I was looking for. I keep a very good eye on Lacey even though I do trust her. I know all these things.

It did not come accross in your post. It came across like she was a little angel that could do no wrong. I wanted to make sure you didn't head on out into the wild with her thinking that, and have her bite someone. I meant no offense, I just wanted to make sure you knew those things.

Blue Blaze I think I will work on the hiding treats. My dog seems to be in love with mozzarella, hope thats not bad for her. I only give it to her as a treat/reward sometimes.

I think once I get down her being able to walk with me and learning her boundaries I will try the hiding the treats thing. She understands sit and stay very well although she doesn't like it and thinks it is a punishment I believe.

When I give the command sit or stay her ears will go down and the sit position usually ends up becoming the crawled up in a ball scared position. Not sure why she does this but I'm hoping it fades with time.

I also think I'm going to take a dog training class. Not sure if this is a dumb qeustion but is there a class for I geuss it'd be like wilderness dogs. Teaching them not to chase other animals and what not. If not I assume a basic class would be ok?

Thanx for all the help so far everyone. Lacey says thanx too :laughing:

P.S.-I'll be sure she doesn't start chasing the travel bugs :ph34r:

My point is how did you cachers with dogs go about training your dogs off the leash and how do they act while geocaching. What type of environment did you train them in, how long did it take, etc.

If you'd really like to go Wireless (leash-less) with her, you could get a training collar. They have wireless collars that are used to train hunting dogs, as well as behavior collars. I'm sure if you worked with her just a few times at home, she would respond well to it enough to take her with you.

Some work by slight electrical shock (sounds bad, but isnt!) and some work by a mist spray, completely safe and will Not hurt your dog in any way), some work by sound.

She is much safer IN your control than she is OUT of your control. It only takes a moment for her to mis-step & get hurt, or scare someone unitentionally and have them fall & get hurt.

Here is a website http://www.lcsupply.com/ LCsupply that shows several different types. You can get them at stores like Farm & Fleet, Cabellas, LL Beans, etc.

Best Wishes & Happy Caching with your 4 legged buddy,

~Liss

I agree with Blue Blaze Irregulars' approach. Prior to the death of my dog (pictured in my avatar), I would routinely take him on leashless walks. Laws vary from state to state, and the variances will also vary from neighborhood to neighborhood.

Snickers was always good with voice control with me, but he also had to be good on the leash for my wife so he got trained both ways. Out on the trail, he likes to lead and I trained him (after an exceptionally embarrassing lack of control hike) to go no further than 25-30 feet in front and never out of sight, then come back and check on me. When he did check on me, he had to touch me somehow, either by brushing against my leg or touching my hand.

Upon approaching others on the trail, he would always be at my side, either under leash or collar control.

It takes time to have a properly trained animal, but like Blue Blaze Irregulars mentioned, our pets become what we let them to be and it is worth the effort to take the time to train them.

As a fellow cacher that is terrified of dogs, even those classified as friendly by their owners, I ask that you please respect the leash laws in your state if there are some. Just because others typically let their dog of the leash does not mean that it is okay to do.

Mrs Nushiekitty

Perhaps you should face your fears :ph34r:

My point is how did you cachers with dogs go about training your dogs off the leash and how do they act while geocaching.  What type of environment did you train them in, how long did it take, etc.

If you'd really like to go Wireless (leash-less) with her, you could get a training collar. They have wireless collars that are used to train hunting dogs, as well as behavior collars. I'm sure if you worked with her just a few times at home, she would respond well to it enough to take her with you.

Some work by slight electrical shock (sounds bad, but isnt!) and some work by a mist spray, completely safe and will Not hurt your dog in any way), some work by sound.

She is much safer IN your control than she is OUT of your control. It only takes a moment for her to mis-step & get hurt, or scare someone unitentionally and have them fall & get hurt.

Here is a website http://www.lcsupply.com/ LCsupply that shows several different types. You can get them at stores like Farm & Fleet, Cabellas, LL Beans, etc.

Best Wishes & Happy Caching with your 4 legged buddy,

~Liss

Marcie's parents have two Irish Setters thgat have behavior collars that they were trained with, and occasionally wear in risky situations (other dogs, forest/park, etc) I must say that they worked quite well, and the dogs are trained to not run, stay on command, they even stay 15' from the dinner table at dinnertime. Amazing.

Wasn't expecting all the negative comments, geuss there is always the people who look at the cup as half empty instead of half full.

However I am worried that she'll chase after any animal that comes by.

Also she tends to get a little over playfull with dogs which could be looked at as rough in some peoples eyes.

I am sorry I came off sounding negative, as I often do. Please notice the subtle hint of my nature in my avatar. I gave my opinion on the risks you take by caching with a dog that you have stated by your own admission, you can't trust or control. I have twice had loose dogs jump on me while caching, where there were signs stating that all pets must be leashed. Here is a quote from one a post to a cache that I found a while back.

We found it and exchanged a couple of robots for a ball and a dino. This was our fourth for the day and as a large, loose, and very wet dog attacked us, it was our last

When I go caching, I enjoy getting away from my usual environment and being able to go on a small adventure that does not include animals jumping on me. If there is a leash law, follow it. If you can't control your animal, keep it on a leash, as you do. As I stated in my original post, I really don't like to see animals not allowed to run free, which is why I do not own a dog. There is a leash law in the town where I live, fencing my yard is impractical and I will not chain an animal by the neck on a dog run.

As far as your rant about negative comments, and not receiving the information you want, I have to ask why you are even asking for dog training advice on a geocaching forum? I understand a thread can go off topic from the intent of the forum, but your request way out in left field. Perhaps you could do a google search for "dog training advice with only positive responses" where you might find a forum with friendlier and more knowledgable readers.

There are lots of scary things out there in the wild. There are sharp sticks, pokey bushes, snakes, lions, tigers, bears, and cactus. There are hefalumps and woozles. There are drunk rednecks with guns. There are crazy homeless people that throw cats at you. If you're that afraid of a wet dog humping your leg .01% of your caching life, perhaps it's time to sit at home and play X-box.

If you're in the middle of nowwhere, let your dog live a little. If the one-off, occasional hater gives you the stink-eye...they'll get over it. :ph34r:

Edited by Sonoran Privateers

i took my dog through obedience classes, worked with him a lot, and still had issues with him off leash for quite some time. he was easily distracted by all the new stuff sometimes. in a large backyard, etc... no problem with voice or visual commands.

so back on the leash he went.

then i started geocaching and going on long hikes again. finally decided to let him off leash on a snowy hike, when i know i was likely the only person going up the mountain, as there were no other vehicles or tracks in the parking lot, and fresh snow.

and he did great!

so maybe you'll get lucky and spend the right amount of time with your dog, and he'll come back everytime. i know for a fact any behaviour issues my dog has are a direct result of me not spending the time to reinforce his training, and my responsibility if something goes wrong.

he comes back when i call if i'm coming up on other hikers, or other dogs, he doesn't chase deer, rabbits, or squirrels, and actually hardly notices them he's so busy sniffing everything. i don't pull the usual line of BS i've heard about "he's friendly, don't worry about it.." every one has a different comfort level with animals on the trails, and i'm not going to give anyone any reasons to tell my dog to stay home. other people=leash in my hand, no exceptions.

and i actually am one of the responsible dog owners who carries out those little plastic bags 10 miles back down the trail. not my favorite thing, but then again, being able to get my dog out in the middle of nowhere is pretty cool.

/long winded .02

As a fellow cacher that is terrified of dogs, even those classified as friendly by their owners, I ask that you please respect the leash laws in your state if there are some.  Just because others typically let their dog of the leash does not mean that it is okay to do. 

Mrs Nushiekitty

Perhaps you should face your fears :P

Perhaps, I shouldn't have to since in most parts of my state we have leash laws and in those rare places that allow the dogs to be off leash I do not go to them. I should never have to worry about a fellow hikers dog potentially jumping on me or biting me.

We take our dog Caching with us most of the time (depending on the weather, as she loves mud!).

She is very well behaved and doesn't run off or jump on people unless they call her to. We don't normally keep her on a leash. If we see people coming along the trail, we will put her on a leash until we pass (more so in case they have dogs, which is most everyone here)

0fa4c8b3-e77b-4bd2-baf2-23c2249c63b4.jpg

DC

I'll take the lease off Buddy when there's no one around. If someone comes I'll put it back on especially if they have a dog. He tends to stay on the trails and always within view. He will stop if I call or whistle. He's a little dog and I know he won't bite anyone. But I understand those who don't appreciate dogs off their leash. I don't like it when I see big dogs running towards me without apparent control of their owner.

If horses are around (there are a lot of horse trails in some parks around here) I always put him back on the lease - one of those 24' extension types. He seems to have an affinity to "big puppies" for some reason. I'll have to have a talk with him about the differences in species!

ef1d65df-50fd-427b-a776-317bb805e6c2.jpg

Our little dog is pretty spoiled and poorly trained (our fault, of course) - she zips off at the drop of a hat, and we sometimes wish there was a backup system to the leash/collar in case she slips it. She's too hard to catch, and of course, we reinforce the running by chasing, but I'm not sure what else to do.

We'll get training eventually, when we can afford the cost and the time. So when we go caching, she stays firmly on the leash.

I always go by the rule of better safe than sorry, and I'm tired of seeing 'no dogs allowed' signs, so I'll follow the rules at parks that still allow them. :P)

As a fellow cacher that is terrified of dogs, even those classified as friendly by their owners, I ask that you please respect the leash laws in your state if there are some.  Just because others typically let their dog of the leash does not mean that it is okay to do. 

Mrs Nushiekitty

Perhaps you should face your fears :blink:

Perhaps, I shouldn't have to since in most parts of my state we have leash laws and in those rare places that allow the dogs to be off leash I do not go to them. I should never have to worry about a fellow hikers dog potentially jumping on me or biting me.

Did you ever think that maybe the hiker might jump on you and bite you? :P

Perhaps, I shouldn't have to since in most parts of my state we have leash laws and in those rare places that allow the dogs to be off leash I do not go to them.  I should never have to worry about a fellow hikers dog potentially jumping on me or biting me.
Did you ever think that maybe the hiker might jump on you and bite you?  :P

LOL. I was thinking the same. I (and esp Marcie) would fear some strange person more than some domesticated canine.

I love dogs, and even large aggressive looking dogs don't really scare me. They can smell fear. I usually pet every dog I come across. You can tell (or at least I can) in five seconds whether a dog is not in the mood to be toyed with. Usually they are happy to be given attention. Unless the owner looks like a jerk. Then I don't bother.

Aside from that, in California there are leash laws, and in some counties your dog can be shot for worrying livestock. Worrying- It's a pretty broad term, and in the stories i've heard from my ranching buddies.. they will basically shoot any dog on their cattle property and owners and law enforcement can do little or nothing.

There are also lots of dog parks springing up around Northern California, so if you ever needed to test your dog in a controlled crowd of people and canines, it could be a good place to start.

Edited by Marcie/Eric

I generally keep my Golden Retriever on leash as most of my caching is done around the SF Bay area.

I think the best idea is to use a lot of common sense about where to take the leash off.

If there are any doggie parks around the experience will help you bond with the dog and there are always obedience classes to increase confidence. :P

Not sure about your dog: shibainu.jpg

Mine was raised off-leash in this manner: I had a heart problem (no attack, just a blockage got fixed) so I walked daily around the circle drive behind our YMCA. He could barely toddle along in those days, and I leashed him a few times. He was raised in my lap and became quickly attached, so I unleashed him and he toddled along every day until he was months old and almost full 100 pounds. Same place. Then we started going other places. I practiced leashing him so that I could call him over and leash him at any time or place (the exception is when he spots another animal that's close. Far away is no problem, so I keep watch). He doesn't fight, and he's friendly, but some people are scared of anything, and he's big and black. (lab mix). I generally try to choose areas and times when no one else is around, or else I leash him. The other day we were cache-checking back in the swamp and two electric co trucks were back there, so I called him, leashed him, decided things were OK and let him loose again.

I ONLY cache with my dog. Otherwise...what is the point? :-) This is how we both get our exercise.

I agree with the trainers comments...train your dog to listen to you and you won't have any problems. Dogs are like children, if their parents teach them right and wrong...they will grow up to be productive citizens. I have seen many misbehaved children who could use some "puppy kindergarten" classes.

For you folks who are afraid of dogs, I suggest that you attend a dog training class and observe. Your fears are irrational and can be overcome with some education and perhaps mental counseling. How do you dare go into the woods alone and unarmed if you are afraid of a domesticated house pet?

I have had "strange" dogs approach me and when I give the command, "KNOCK IT OFF" or "GO HOME" they always do. Show them you are the boss and they will listen. Dogs are not vicious by nature and are simply trying to make new friends. When your body languange shows fear, it raises their concern that perhaps something is wrong and they need to be alert too.

As to leash laws...I will take responsibility for my dog if you do for yourself. Usually it is the dog on the leash that provokes the dog arguments because he is afraid of being restrained by a wimpy owner than he has "protect". Keep your leash laws around your own neck. That can apply to many other "do gooder" laws that are on the books.

It all goes back to education...both the dog, and the human...we can all get along if we know and understand each other. Now let's go Geocaching (and enjoy the freedom of the outdoors and all that America has to offer).

Scott

I've had Lacey since she was about 2 or 3 monthes old. I picked her up from my town shelter, they told me she was a husky and golden mix. After doing some research and getting opinions from people and my vet we determined that Lacey is a shiba inu here is a better picture: 375321696OAWPix_ph.jpg

hope picture works if not check out this link for more pictures Lacey Pictures

Hopefully tomorrow after work I will take Lacey to the local park where there is a fenced in tennis court and she how resposive she is to sit and stay, just the basic stuff just so I know where we stand.

Thanx for all the input so far everyone. You've all been helpful. Keep it coming.

Edited by Nick428

We cache with our dogs regularly. Our dogs are "recycled", from shelters or rescue groups. With dogs like this you don't always get the full story about their tempermanet and behavior. We follow the posted rules whenever we cache or hike. If there are no posted rules we let common sense be our guide. As others have posted, some people have dog "issues" and we are respectful to them and local rules. We have taken our dogs to obedience classes an work with them almost daily on their commands, both on an off leash.

Your dog should master some basic commands off the leash, our favorites are "Heel","Down", "Leave it", "Sit", "Heel Sit", "Sit Stay", "Down Stay" and "Come" The most important in our opinion are "Down", the dog should stop whatever it's doing and lay down and await you next command. "Come", your dog immediately returns to you, does not pass go, does not collect $200 :angry: , and "Leave it" , your dog ignores whatever has its attention at the moment and turns its attenetion to you.

There are some basics all dog should master, these are the foundation of the AKC Good Citizenship test. Dog Scouts is another group that advocates well behaved dogs, and may be of interest.

Your local library should have a wide selection of training books. We use only positive reinforcement, using homemade treats. Training your dog should be enjoyable to both you and your dog, keep the lessons simple, fun and short. Repetitive and consistent commands and rewards have always provided us with good results.

Good luck training your geodog!

I don't have a problem with people taking their dogs, just be sure to follow the leash laws.

I was bitten by a dog about 13 years ago that was described as "friendly", "well trained", and "socialized" while on a hike in a less populated area. There were signs at the trailhead stating that dogs must be on a leash less than 10' long. The dog was not on a leash and the owner was at least 300' away.

I had to seek medical attention for the bite. I made sure to contact the local park ranger who filed a report and cited the dog owner before I went to the emergency room. My medical bills were in excess of $2000. The owners citation was $165. In court the dogs owner argued that it was partially my fault for not making enough noise while on the trail. He also thought I should have made a better effort to run away or climb a tree. The judge saw it my way.

Maybe I should thank the owner. The "pain and suffering" portion of the judgement let me make a really nice down payment on a new car.

I knew someone who told me how his grandfather solved a problem with an irresponsible dog owner who let his dog roam the neighborhood, and defecate in the old man's yard. The grandfather asked the owner repeatedly to keep the dog out of his yard, and the dog owner's reply was, essentially, too bad, there is no leash law.

The grandfather went to the town hall to check, and sure enough, there was no law. But there was one about dogs harassing farm animals, and it stated very clearly that if you killed a dog on you property while it was harassing your livestock, the dog owner had no legal recourse.

The grandfather got some chicken wire, put up a pen in the yard, bought a live chicken from a Portugese farmer and dropped it in the pen. The next day, the dog comes agound, and runs up to the pen and starts barking. The grandfather, hearing the barking, walks out the door with a 12 gauge, takes one shot and manages to kill the dog and the chicken. He threw the dog and chicken in the back of his truck, dumped the dog in the owner's yard, and gave the the chicken back to the farmer, who had it for dinner.

The police were called and an arrest was made for discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a residence. Back at the station, with the grandfather in the holding cell, the police discover the law actually only applies while hunting. They had to let the old man go, who naturally threatend to have the arresting officer's fired, claimed he was going to sue for false imprisonment and all sorts of heinous violations against his freedom and personal rights. The scene he made annoyed the cops, who then did some research and next day fined the grandfather $25.00 for "improper disposal of an animal carcass within city limits."

It ended costing him about $45.00 to kill the dog, but apparently, he thought it was worth every penny.

My dog is very intellegent. I have him decode the clues for me while I hunt.

:blink:

By the way, all of you leash-lawers... how do you expect a dog to get any real exercise if it is always on a leash? They love to, and NEED to run. Yes, dog owners do need to respect the laws where they sadly exist, and to respect the rights of others, but to say that a dog must always be leashed is inhumane.

By the way, all of you leash-lawers... how do you expect a dog to get any real exercise if it is always on a leash? They love to, and NEED to run. Yes, dog owners do need to respect the laws where they sadly exist, and to respect the rights of others, but to say that a dog must always be leashed is inhumane.

What's wrong with a fenced in yard or a dog park?

Life is an adventure...travel...new sights...sounds...How much adventure can you get in a fenced in back yard? Prisoners get more exercise in their "yard".

Most dog parks are 20 miles away...most are small...flat...and uninteresting. Most of the people I meet in the "human" parks in the woods are either dog owners, or dog likers. For the 1 in a 1000 person who is afraid of dogs...they should be the ones to stay home in their own fenced in yard where they can be "safe" from evil.

Penalize the dog owners who do not train their dogs to be respectfull of others, but do not make the other 99.9% of us drive to a "dog park" or leave our dogs home. At the same, send the nut jobs to counseling so they can get over their fears. The World is not that scary once people go out and enjoy it.

I'm not a dog owner but I do like other people's friendly dogs and I don't mind meeting them on the trail. As long as I can see the owner when the dog approaches me I'm okay. I've been bitten twice by shepard collie mixes so I'm a little skittish around them, but you can usually tell by the way a dog approaches you if he intends to snack on you. If your dog makes me nervous and I can see you then I can tell you to please call your dog back. Lacey certainly doesn't look very menacing in her pictures.

I just have to tell a sad story about a dog who was young and not yet fully trained. We lived in an area where there were gorgeous hiking trails and plenty of wild life. One of my neighbors had a young female boxer about 2 years old (maybe), she was friendly and playful and so pretty. They were in the process of training her and took her up on the trails without a leash. She saw a bird and gave chase, unfortunately there were also cliffs in the area and she jumped. I'm sure she didn't commit suicide, she was just focused on the bird. They tried to call her back once she gave chase, but she didn't listen.

So please ensure your dog is well trained before you let her off the leash, what if she gave chase and you couldn't call her back? :blink:

I'm not a dog owner but I do like other people's friendly dogs and I don't mind meeting them on the trail. As long as I can see the owner when the dog approaches me I'm okay. I've been bitten twice by shepard collie mixes so I'm a little skittish around them, but you can usually tell by the way a dog approaches you if he intends to snack on you. If your dog makes me nervous and I can see you then I can tell you to please call your dog back. Lacey certainly doesn't look very menacing in her pictures.

I just have to tell a sad story about a dog who was young and not yet fully trained. We lived in an area where there were gorgeous hiking trails and plenty of wild life. One of my neighbors had a young female boxer about 2 years old (maybe), she was friendly and playful and so pretty. They were in the process of training her and took her up on the trails without a leash. She saw a bird and gave chase, unfortunately there were also cliffs in the area and she jumped. I'm sure she didn't commit suicide, she was just focused on the bird. They tried to call her back once she gave chase, but she didn't listen.

So please ensure your dog is well trained before you let her off the leash, what if she gave chase and you couldn't call her back? :blink:

AMEN.