Hiking Staffs

Is there a purpose to a hiking staff or is it a pretty prize for wizard wannabes? Seems to me, the less you drag into the woods, the better. To have a hand constantly encumbered seems pointless.

Not trying to start a fight here, I'm genuinely unenlightened in this matter.

I can only speak for myself.

I used to think the same way, however they are great for vaulting small streams, holding back limbs and brairs, retrieving hard to get to caches,checking for snakes before putting your hand in that hole, and in my case saving my but from falling off a 30 foot cliff on to the rocks at GCH643 ;)

I'm overweight but not completely unactive. I find the pole often helps me get the extra muscle into my hike by letting me use my arms to compensate.

It also forces me to use more energy overall on the hike which helps undo problem #1...that I'm overweight.

they make poking around in the bushes, ferns and poison ivy less destructive...plus it helps ease the image people have of you while walking around aimlessly..

"He's got a walking stick, so he must be out enjoying life..ok" rather than "What's that strange guy doing here? Never saw him before..."

Whenever I leave mine in the car, I regret it. I have tendonitis, and I really appreciate having the extra support--especially when climbing up or down a hill, or stepping over a log. The stick is a must when crossing a stream on a narrow log, or stepping stones.

By the way, when you need to reach into a blind, possibly-critter-infested hidey hole, it's nice to probe with the hiking stick first.

I don't use the "wizard" type myself. I use a Trek'r telescoping aluminum stick with a molded grip and wrist strap, and a snow basket for winter use.

What is a snow basket?

I just have a wooden walking stick my husband made, nothing fancy basically bark removed and sanded, wouldn't call it wizard type, just convenient to have around.

Snow basket = small disk or cup-shaped gadget on the end of the stick--like a ski pole.

I guess we're modernized wizard wannabes....?

We never hit the trail without my favorite collapsable alloy trekking pole.

It serves a multitude of purposes: judging stream depth, poking in holes, swatting spiderwebs, fending off wildlife and thrashing annoying hiking partners ;)

It is lightweight with comfortable grip, has a wriststrap so you can quickly let go with your hand but still not drop it, and it can be stowed in your backpack or even tucked thru your belt if you get sick of carrying it (which we never have).

When I first got my "hiking stick" I too was skeptical. But after the first hike with it I was sold. I was able to hike a bit faster and bit farther. There's less wear and tear on the knees. In many situations it's great stabalizing factor. I use an aluminum telescoping stick with a cork ball on top and wrist strap. I can adjust it's length for different needs.

Some power hikers use two sticks that double as tent poles. I believe you'll find articles about hiking sticks in Backpacker Magazine. I didn't check on line for reviews, but there probably is some.

Happing Caching.

Byron

Ok, I'm sold! Can we get some more recommendations? Wood versus Metal etc..

I saw a telescoping, aluminum one collapse last weekend and the cacher took a face-plant into the beach (missing the rocks, thankfully)...

I'll stick with wood...and the pun is unintentional. ;)

I use a wood staff from Century Martial Arts. It's a bit overkill, given the length, but it's toothpick shaped and fairly light. Works great on steep hills. Not so good for laying the smack down on the mosquitos though. Seriously, though, the staff is great for all the reasons people have posted - poking into holes, pushing away briars, steep downhill walking, etc. Because it's so long I tend to only use it on long hikes or where I expect to run into varying terrain. Your needs/desires may dictate something a bit different, such as a collapsable metal pole, or whatever.

My son had the best use last weekend - we were heading out for a cache that hadn't been found in quite a while. The path was VERY overgrown with tensile strength spider webs. Holding the staff vertically in front of your face as you're walking down a trail like this saves a lot of "Bleh, ptooey, blech, bleh, ptoo" ;)

Trekking poles are a must on many trails in the Pacific Northwest. Unfortunately I always forget mine and have had a few chin injuries falling on my face as a result.

I also use them to poke around where my fleshy bits could get hurt.

They're also good for navigating wet stuff, like logs, leaves, and steep muddy inclines. It gets pretty rainy here (goes the common joke).

Edited by Jeremy

I personally never saw much of a need for one. They were always big in scouts but after a mile of hiking I would notice all the walking sticks that were quickly being left behind. I do have one but I rarely take it out. It is a 5 foot piece of aspen that is adorned with a few items that I have found while I am out and about (mostly feathers and a deer antler).

Ok, I'm sold! Can we get some more recommendations? Wood versus Metal etc..

I am no small fry, but with an arthritic hip (just getting painful) I sometimes have trouble with my balance on steep slopes and rocks. I have a 5 foot wooden rod that is tapered to each end. I find that not only is it useful as a stick for all the usual poking and web wacking, but it is just heavy enough (about a pound and a half) to help with the balance. I didn't think this would be a big deal until I used it the first time. Now I realize how useful it can be.

If you just want something to poke in holes, you can pick up a stick along the trail.

Trekking poles are a must on many trails in the Pacific Northwest. Unfortunately I always forget mine and have had a few chin injuries falling on my face as a result.

I also use them to poke around where my fleshy bits could get hurt.

They're also good for navigating wet stuff, like logs, leaves, and steep muddy inclines. It gets pretty rainy here (goes the common joke).

I currently do not use one here in Syracuse but am thinking about getting one. I worked in Southeast Alaska for the FWS and I can vouch for what Jeremy says. You only have to slip once and grab a handfull of a plant called "Devil's Club" and realize that a walking stick is a real good thing to have.

I started using one trekking pole for hiking in the snow. Then for snowshoeing I went with two. I got so used to it that that when the snow melted I kept using the poles. They provide added balance especally when boulder hopping or crossing streams, take pressure off the knees on dowhills.

When backpacking they double as poles for my tarp and are also useful for poking around dark places and snowbanks when looking for a cache.

The nice thing about trekking poles is that they collapse and fit in my pack if I'm climbing or bushwacking and need my hands.

Mine is an aspen sapling that I picked up in Colorado about a decade ago. I whittled at it, sanded it, and clear-coated it. Then I mounted a ball compass in the top. Love that compass! whenever my gpsr has trouble averaging under dense canopy, that compas still knows which way is up. Aspen is a good choice: very lightweight, but strong. Not to mention, a pretty blonde color.

I have a 3 piece Leki hiking stick that goes with me on all cache hunts. If you tighten the locks properly, it won't collapse. It collapses far enough to fit into my carry-on bag when I go on road trips. It also has a threaded camera mount under the knob which is handy for those milestone caches.

I also have a set of trekking poles that I mainly use for snowshoeing but they were useful on a cache with pretty sketchy terrain. The only drawback was that I didn't have a free hand to hold the GPSr but that was fine, I was to busy trying not to fall into a ravine.

Most of the wood sticks I've seen have been heavy and not well balanced.

EDIT: typo

Edited by Runaround

So that's the truth behind the the "geocaching high sign" gesture! You were just trying to hide the stitch scar on your chin ;)

Hiking sticks are definitely a must here in Florida. Ammo cans in palmettos or pine straw is a popular method of hiding stuff in the woods here. Unfortunately those are also potential places for snakes to hang out. Always a good idea to poke around until you hear a satisfing "thunk" and then poke a liitle more to see if you hear anything rattle ;) or slither away before you stick you hands anywhere.

Why? Snakes. Snakes. Snakes.

Yesterday I was sorely regretting not listening to all of the wisdom in these forums.

Wisdom #1 - Wear Long Pants

Wisdom #2 - Wear Boots

Wisdom #3 - Two words...bug spray.

Wisdom #4 - Hiking Stick.

As I was hiking down towards a little hidden pond (all murky water, by the way) I had to traverse this area of fallen twigs and branches that was about 25 years across - it's all that stood between ME and the CACHE. So, I stepped out and as I stepped several of the branches under me broke and I sunk down a little (6 inches or so). I kept going, though. Crunch. Crunch. Crunch. Until I heard that noise that every living creature fears...the hissing of Mr. Snake.

I felt me knees go weak. I was given to panic, but I maintained my cool...as I hightailed it out of there.

Needless to say, a hiking stick would have been GREAT. :anitongue:

I nearly always use a wooden staff. I've used beaver sticks for years. I like the natural look and strength, but you have to watch out for the points. Now I use my personalized El Diablo staff (without the rubber tip).

Lightweight metal poles are very tempting, but I'm still an ol-fashioned kind of guy. I even take a staff with me on canoeing trips; they can be used as a candle lantern pole or elevation support for a tarp. :anitongue::anitongue:

A beaver stick is a pole manufactured by beavers. Along many rivers, you can find them. They come in many sizes and they are nearly always perfectly straight. Often times you can see teeth marks where the beaver has stripped and cut the poles.

The best ones have been water-logged and sun dried. And they come in a variety of colors.

Best thing about these unique sticks, they are free. :anitongue::anitongue:

A beaver stick is a pole manufactured by beavers. Along many rivers, you can find them. They come in many sizes and they are nearly always perfectly straight. Often times you can see teeth marks where the beaver has stripped and cut the poles.

The best ones have been water-logged and sun dried. And they come in a variety of colors.

Best thing about these unique sticks, they are free. :anitongue::anitongue:

Yea providing the beaver doesn't mind........lol

I use a stick that I found while on one of my first caching trips. I took it home, let it dry, peeled the bark off of, sanded and shellacked.

After that, I read a few pages on how to create my own. Essentially, for the really 'smooth' look, you have to soak the sticks for two weeks and the bark falls right off. After that, you have to dry it for another two, if not more.

Sand, decorate (optional), seal.

:anitongue:

I bought an adjustable aluminum pole from Wally Big Box for $10.00. Has a grip, leather thong, and a useless, tiny compass. You may look a little silly using one on a parking lot micro, but on serious terrain, they do lend a little extra stability, and are great for deflecting briars and running interference for your hands in hidey holes.

I always wanted to mention the apparent geek factor in a staff, and that I despise carrying anything that won't fit in a pocket, but they do come in handy. To each his own. I have a couple of old ski poles and I will sometimes use one.

How is this for a creative use of a staff?

staff.jpg

We were trying to get a cacher's car started, and were willing to try anything before abandoning the car. We hooked up the jumper cables and revved up the engine for a while in an attempt to boost the battery in the dead car. The staff was on the gas pedal which was depressed with the aid of an electric seat. This was at a cito event and I ended up with the distinction of not doing a lick of work except for CITOing a fellow cacher.

I've used my camera tripod sometimes as a walking stick in areas. It can be pretty useful when crossing streams, looking for that right spot for the perfect shot. It was also somewhat useful on the one hike to the bottom of the waterfall on kauai, although a helicopter probably would have been a better accesory for the hike.

And what kind of wood do you rustic types favor for a homemade staff?

The one I have is a limb off of an American Beech.

It's light for it's size, strong and, as you can see it has a nice light color.

953811a3-c118-4fdf-9e06-ff00c3e0b75f.jpg

Around Maryland it is known as the CAM Stick because I made it to commemorate the first "Cache Across Maryland" event. I had everyone sign it and then I used a wood burning tool on them. :anitongue:

I picked my walking stick up out of the trash alongside a local creek. It's an old hockey stick.

I just cut off the remains of the blade, and added a handle. It's relatively lightweight, and VERY strong. That strength came in handy last winter. I used my stick as a pry bar to remove an ammo can that was solidly encased in ice.

Most of the wood sticks I've seen have been heavy and not well balanced.

You've never held one of mine. I normally use Poplar that can hold the most stought person and yet at the same time weigh less than a pound.

Wether you prefer metal or wood, a good hiking stick is a must!

El Diablo.

P.S. Thanks for the mention Richard.