Oh Dear...

Pieman

I am currently in the US having picked up a lot of TB's at the Chester meet. Have just flown from Chicago to Philadelphia with 11 TB's in my case, which has been lost by United.... and I haven't got the baggage ticket stub.... and I have now got only the clothes I had on which I have just had to wash. I think we need a miracle.

I am currently in the US having picked up a lot of TB's at the Chester meet.  Have just flown from Chicago to Philadelphia with 11 TB's in my case, which has been lost by United.... and I haven't got the baggage ticket stub.... and I have now got only the clothes I had on which I have just had to wash.  I think we need a miracle.

How can you lose your baggage stub? It should be stuck to the back of your ticket wallet?

Having an airline lose your bag is a huge pain in the butt (it happened twice to us last year) but having so said, the compo is well worth having. But without your baggage stub you might get nothing. ;)

-

Edited by SlytherinAlex
I haven't got the baggage ticket stub....

You may not have the number of that stub, but you can bet your bottom dollar that the airline's computer has got a record of it.

Federal regulations require them to keep tabs on which passenger has checked in which bag. It's a Security thing and the airline can be fined hugely if they fail to keep such records.

So long as you've labelled your bag properly both inside and out, you will probably get your bag back after a few days/weeks. I've worked in 44 countries (last time I counted, which was a few years ago) and I've suffered 'lost' bags on exactly ten occasions. On eight of theose occasions I got my bag back. One of the total writeoffs was at Lagos airport which is notorious for thievery and the other completely lost one was at Thiefrow which isn't a lot better than Lagos (at least in the opinion of the local Magistrate!).

Good luck, and don't give up hope or give up applying pressure to the airline. They are responsible, in every sense of that word.

Cheers, The Forester

Good news! I have the bag and the TB's! Like the Forrester I had previously had my bags lost on a double figure number of occasions but then I had the baggage stub. The reason I didn't this time is complicated but resulted from rather unhelpful check in staff running off with my bag and my stupidity in that I travel enough to know you should always wait for the stub! Because of this the airline had no record of the bag and as the disinterested guy at baggage claim said "We'll look for it as a courtesy but if we don't find it you get no compensation". Oh, and he refused to accept my mobile number as a contact number as it is a UK mobile and he wouldn't phone overseas. We were also delayed 2 hours and I was hot and sweaty after fitting in a couple of caches on the way back to the airport so you could say I wasn't in the best of moods.

Afraid it's business, Stuey. Only another 12 flights to go on this trip!

Edited by Pieman
Good news!  I have the bag and the TB's! 

:):D

I'd be glad anyway but as the dad of an overexcited 6y old whose first TB is in there I'm even happier :anitongue:

(It's a red nose heading in the general direction of Amarillo, if he'd let me make the very well worn CD into a TB then United could have kept it :anitongue: )

Thanks for your efforts and the lift!

Yes, Archer4, when I thought I'd lost the bag apart from feeling fed up because I'd lost all my clothes, work papers and various other things, I actually felt guilty about your son's bug as I know how 6 year olds can get disappointed.

The good news is that I've looked at the map and Oklahoma City (where I'm going to place him) is only about 200 miles from Amarillo, so he might get there before too long!

As an aside, my tribulations continued today at a cache see my log.

Edited by Pieman
... had no record of the bag and as the disinterested guy at baggage claim said "We'll look for it as a courtesy...

I think you mean uninterested. Disinterested means something else. Sorry to be pedantic. Glad the TBs are safe!

I see your pendantry and I raise you one nitpick

I'd like to double your nitpick, but it appears that Dr 'Bex' Johnson agrees (doesn't mean she's right though!):

Larkin's disinterested attitude to textual style and focus on the context which he and Fabers had created is further underlined when we compare the Faber and Fortune Press editions of Jill. Despite his complaint that the Fortune Press edition was 'unsatisfactory' the Faber text is remarkably similar. The small amendments made have nothing to do with the aesthetic quality of the text and everything to do with the censorship it was subjected to by the Lewes printer. On page 43 the Faber Jill substitutes 'piss' for 'bad'; on page 179 we read 'Bugger the Proctors!' for '------ the Proctors!'; on page 187 we read 'sod' for 'beast'. By re-instating obscenities the verbal surface of the novel had not been altered in any significant way, but Larkin had removed the slur of censorship. The problems which Caton had had with printers suspicious of his type of press did not occur once one had made the Faber list.

They (*t*)uck you up, your mum and dad,

They may not mean to but they do

They fill you with the faults they had

And add some extra just for you.

There is a 'Radio 3 link' to Dr Larkin, but that will have to wait for another day!

I actually felt guilty about  your son's bug

As an aside, my tribulations continued today at  cache see my log.

:) I think the clothes, work papers etc were enough to worry about! You should be on double COTM points for dealing with the airlines too! :anitongue:

Enjoy the beer while you dry out! :anitongue: