Which Batteries Do You Use?

Myself I am a strong supporter of Energizer E2 Lithium batteries.

23-662.jpg

I use these batteries in both my digital camera (takes 4) and my Etrex Vista C (takes 2). I have found that they last much longer than normal batteries in my camera. When the camera has completely drained them and can not even start up I can take the batteries and use them in my GPS for hours still.

The E2 supposedly have a storeage and operating temperature of -40°C to +60°C (-40°F to +140°F) this is much larger than normal batteries. Another bonus is they weigh 1/3 less than normal batteries. They are also rated at 3000 MilliAmpHour capacity. The other thing I noticed is the best before date on the batteries I bought today was 2019 which seems a bit far fetched.

I also found this neat PDF full of data from energizer from a site selling the batteries.

Energizer E2 Lithium Battery Data [Energizer.com]

The bad side is the price, $19.99 for 4 or $9.99 for 2 here in Canada but I think I end up saving money in the end.

Which batteries do other Geocachers (or photographers) use?

I use Energizer 2600mAH rechargeable NImH Batteries - can be recharged in about an hour and recharged up to 1000 times - makes my 60c go for about 35 straight hours or about 500 digital pictures (no flash) on my camera.

Great batteries - about $10 for 4 and $15 for a charger.

edit to add: No "memory effect" like the older nicad batteries.

Edited by StarBrand
Ray-O-Vac NiMH rechargeables work great for me.  I pop a fresh pair in the gadget before I go out caching.

I second that. Mine charge in 15 minutes and last for around 10 hours, probably more but I never really counted. I just take a second charged pair along as a backup. The charger also works in the car, which is great for road trips. At about $10 a pair, they definitely save money over the long haul, and they reduce trash in the landfills. The 1 hour charging kind are a little less expensive, but I think it's worth a little more to not have to wait the extra 45 minutes for a charge.

The other thing I noticed is the best before date on the batteries I bought today was 2019 which seems a bit far fetched.

Time for another word from your friendly neighborhood geocaching battery company employee. I to am preferential to the Energizer Lithium's. I should be, I work for the company.

A note regarding the shelf life. The 2019 date is not at all far-fetched. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the batteries last longer than that. We take the performance of that battery very seriously.

Keep Going!

Oldnumber7, check your e-mail.

I use Energizer 2600mAH rechargeable NImH Batteries - can be recharged in about an hour and recharged up to 1000 times - makes my 60c go for about 35 straight hours or about 500 digital pictures (no flash) on my camera.

Great batteries - about $10 for 4 and $15 for a charger.

edit to add: No "memory effect" like the older nicad batteries.

Where'd you get those 2600's?

I've used the Energizer e2 Lithiums in my digital camera for the last 5 years. They work great. The batteries have also enabled me to use my camera in -20F - -30F temperatures. The zoom was a little slow and the lcd wasn't working too great (had to use the eyepiece), but it still took photos. ;)

Also for people that shop at Sam's Club; They sell a 12 pack (Twelve batteries) of these for $20.

I am using Duracell AAs here in China. Why, because they are readily available and they cost 40 RMB. That’s less than $5 US for a pack of eight, only 60 cents each. They seem to run just as long as similar batteries I buy in the US. By the way, I wonder how many AA batteries I can bring on the plane home without being considered a security risk, hahahahah.

;)

Just a side note, if you use Lithiums, try to get them to a recycle bin instead of the round file. They are nasty bad for dumps or incinerators.

The preferred method of disposal for any battery is through recycling. Many communities in the US offer battery recycling, some require it. Some retailers also offer the service. If there is no way to recycle the battery in your area, they may be disposed of as normal household waste. There is no special disposal concern with Energizer Lithium batteries vs. alakline batteries.

When I started caching it was Energizer lithiums, since I was caching the shoulder season in the Sierra, but now it's rechargeable NiMH since I cache a 20-50 cache day each weekend. Soon it will be the 12V car battery, when I bring laptop caching on line.

Unless you need the lithium batteries for cold-weather performance, NiMH rechargeable batteries should be used to cut down on the number of batteries that get thrown away, IMHO.

I got four 2300 mAmp rechargeables with a 15-minute recharger for $25.00 at Target. The recharger can be used with an inverter in my car to get fresh batteries very quickly.

In the long run, rechargeable batteries are much less expensive than even the cheapest Alkaline batteries.

There's a story about these.

P6230090.jpg

At our school, one of our teachers has a bunch of "Baby Think it Overs," the kind of computerized babies that are given to a kid for a weekend to let them know what parenting is sort of about. They cry at irregular intervals and the kid has a wrist key they have to insert in the kid to stop it from crying. They have sensors that determine whether the baby's been abused, etc.

These batteries have enough juice in them for one weekend of Baby Think it Over, but not two, so she's constantly buying new batteries for the babies. Consequently, she has lots of batteries that are perfect for digital cameras and GPSrs. I told her that anytime she wants to drop a bag off to me, since she usually ends up giving them away anyway, I'll take them. That's one of two bags (2nd one is fuller) that I have right now. Set of batteries last through several day-long caching expeditions.

We use rechargeable duracells. They last about 10-12 hours of straight caching with the lights on bright. We use Garmin Rino 120's, which gives us communication ability up to 5 miles. (using GMRS channels). The more you talk, obviously the less the batteries last. But 10 hours is about average. We always bring 3 sets.. you never know how long you're gonna be out there!

:P Hmmmmm! I'm always hearing about school budgets and the problems with not enough money.

So, why doesn't this school use rechargeable batteries? :blink:

Many devices made for children are not recommended for rechargeable batteries because things get really hot if there is a short circuit. Alkalines cannot deliver enough current to get very hot. In other words ... lawyers.

I use off-brand NiMH rechargeable batteries in my GPS. I have analyzed the economics, and if you are using your GPS more than 20 hours per month on average, the rechargeable are cheaper.

Edited by CharlieP
I've used the Energizer e2 Lithiums in my digital camera for the last 5 years. They work great.

You may be confused with e2 Titainium batteries. I don't believe the e2 Lithium batteries have been on the market for 5 years. They've been around more like a 1 year+ :P

I have used e2 Lithiums almost exclusively for the last 8 months. I also have started to use Powerex NiMH, and am using them more now that it's warmer weather. I do still keep a 4pack of the e2 Lithium in my backpack tho, and will use them more when the weather becomes cold again. They're an excellent battery, providing over 60 hrs in my Garmin 76c (2AA).

To the guy that works for Energizer... Do you get the batteries for free? That would be a nice perk :blink:

Hmmmmm! I'm always hearing about school budgets and the problems with not enough money.

So, why doesn't this school use rechargeable batteries?

Most large School Districts can only make purchases from Approved Vendors. (They can not price shop at Walmart & Target & Radio Shack)

Most large School Districts can only make purchases from Approved Vendors. (They can not price shop at Walmart & Target & Radio Shack)

This is sad but true. My wife is a teacher and she has to buy from "approved vendors" some times paying as much as triple the price she could buy it on her own.

You may be confused with e2 Titainium batteries. I don't believe the e2 Lithium batteries have been on the market for 5 years. They've been around more like a 1 year+ :P

Energizer e2 Lithium has been around for more than a decade, not just a year. They are now becoming much more common to the mainstream market as the power requirements for devices has grown.

e2 Titaniums are junk. I bought a pair by accident and it lasted a couple days of caching and driving around.

I would dispute that statement. The battery should be matched to the device. Clearly the Energizer e2 Titanium battery is not the right battery for your GPSr. I would encourage you to try the Energizer Lithium or Rechargeable batteries.

e2 Titaniums are junk. I bought a pair by accident and it lasted a couple days of caching and driving around.

I would dispute that statement. The battery should be matched to the device. Clearly the Energizer e2 Titanium battery is not the right battery for your GPSr. I would encourage you to try the Energizer Lithium or Rechargeable batteries.

Trust me, i'm an advocate of the e2 lithiums.

Myself I am a strong supporter of Energizer E2 Lithium batteries.

23-662.jpg

I use these batteries in both my digital camera (takes 4) and my Etrex Vista C (takes 2). I have found that they last much longer than normal batteries in my camera. When the camera has completely drained them and can not even start up I can take the batteries and use them in my GPS for hours still.

The E2 supposedly have a storeage and operating temperature of -40°C to +60°C (-40°F to +140°F) this is much larger than normal batteries. Another bonus is they weigh 1/3 less than normal batteries. They are also rated at 3000 MilliAmpHour capacity. The other thing I noticed is the best before date on the batteries I bought today was 2019 which seems a bit far fetched.

I also found this neat PDF full of data from energizer from a site selling the batteries.

Energizer E2 Lithium Battery Data [Energizer.com]

The bad side is the price, $19.99 for 4 or $9.99 for 2 here in Canada but I think I end up saving money in the end.

Which batteries do other Geocachers (or photographers) use?

The four pack of those run $6.54 at the commisary on base.

I use them in the GPS for hiking. When i'm just riding my bike around town, I use rechargables.

I've used the Energizer e2 Lithiums in my digital camera for the last 5 years. They work great.

You may be confused with e2 Titainium batteries. I don't believe the e2 Lithium batteries have been on the market for 5 years. They've been around more like a 1 year+ :blink:

I have used e2 Lithiums almost exclusively for the last 8 months. I also have started to use Powerex NiMH, and am using them more now that it's warmer weather. I do still keep a 4pack of the e2 Lithium in my backpack tho, and will use them more when the weather becomes cold again. They're an excellent battery, providing over 60 hrs in my Garmin 76c (2AA).

To the guy that works for Energizer... Do you get the batteries for free? That would be a nice perk :mad:

Ummm, no confusion. I first started buying the e2 Lithiums in September of 2000 in Wisconsin. btw... What's Titainium? :P

Ummm, no confusion. I first started buying the e2 Lithiums in September of 2000 in Wisconsin. btw... What's Titainium? :anicute:

If you say so. But I disagree. The battery simply hasn't been produced for that length of time in AA and AAA sizes. You think a market like Atlanta would be skipped for 4 years? I don't.

e2 Titainium are another energizer battery that's probably been on the market since 2000 or so, which is why I thought that's what you meant. They're all silver with black lettering rather than sliver/blue/black like the lithiums.

Ummm, no confusion. I first started buying the e2 Lithiums in September of 2000 in Wisconsin. btw... What's Titainium?  :blink:

If you say so. But I disagree. The battery simply hasn't been produced for that length of time in AA and AAA sizes. You think a market like Atlanta would be skipped for 4 years? I don't.

e2 Titainium are another energizer battery that's probably been on the market since 2000 or so, which is why I thought that's what you meant. They're all silver with black lettering rather than sliver/blue/black like the lithiums.

Taken from an Energizer Press Release:

Energizer first introduced round cell lithium technology in 1990 when it rolled out Energizer® e2® Lithium AA batteries. The Energizer® e2® Lithium batteries are the world's longest-lasting AA and AAA batteries in high-tech devices.

The full press release can be found on Energizer's website:

http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir_site....&item_id=640889

18:33 I usually use Duracell alkalines. I'm considering switching to some brand of rechargeable batteries.

My father-in-law used to get bags of AA batteries from the photo counter at Rite Aid. They were removed from returned single-use cameras and the store was happy to be rid of them. I keep forgetting to ask them about it when I'm there.

NiMH, no question. About 4 charges is all it takes to match the cost of alkies, after that they're practically free.

But it gets better. I bought a charger that came with 10 batteries (6 AA and 4 AAA) then the company recalled the charger and gave a refund. Best of all, all they wanted back was the charger itself; I got to keep the batteries. So I used the full refund of my original purchase, to buy another (different) charger with even more batteries! Sometimes I guess recalls can be a good thing...

rofl.gif -- All the way to the bank!