Article On Microsoft's Website

zcubed

"To geocache using your Pocket PC, you'll need some extra software. You'll be better off using a GPS receiver that fits into your CF or SDIO card slots or an integrated device. You don't want to juggle more than one device while hiking through the woods. "

We all know that our PDAs are perfectly waterproof and impact resistant, so of course we routinely wander around with them in our hands while caching.

Wulf

Geocachers don't bury their caches—they're always above ground to keep the environment safe.

At least they got that part right for a change.

I have seen caches that got stolen by muggles referred to as being muggled. If I remember right, that is how the term was first used, later on being caught by non-cachers was also referred to as being muggled.

The article was about specifically using pocket PC's as GPS'es, not GPS in general, so in the context of the article they were accurate by saying you could use an integrated device.

Edit:

I type too slow!

Edited by Docapi
One person hides a small cache (pronounced cash) of goodies or white elephants (otherwise known as awful gifts someone gave you).

How many cachers initially start out their caches full of "white elephants"?

Then they post the coordinates, called waypoints, on the Internet. Geocachers don't bury their caches—they're always above ground to keep the environment safe.

At least they got this one right! Most articles don't.

You'll use the traditional GPS mapping software to find the general location

I kinda wish they hadn't said this, too... I think a lot of new people won't join because they'll think you need an expensive GPSr when the most basic will do..

In all, at least it was a good article.

"To geocache using your Pocket PC, you'll need some extra software. You'll be better off using a GPS receiver that fits into your CF or SDIO card slots or an integrated device. You don't want to juggle more than one device while hiking through the woods. "

We all know that our PDAs are perfectly waterproof and impact resistant, so of course we routinely wander around with them in our hands while caching.

Wulf

I would guess that you don't read the forums much, but I know better. I use Dell Axims for caching (and many other things). I use either a CF GPSr or Bluetooth. I put them in an Aquapac (which allows me to use the screen through the bag). I use them sailing (if you don't get wet sailing, you ain't really sailing), hiking, and hunting. I have yet to have one get wet, dirty, dinged or otherwise damaged. (Knock on wood!) I have an Otterbox, too. It is sort of like a mini-safe for a PDA, but I hardly use it because it is overkill.

A little common sense goes a long way with Pocket PCs or any other electronic device. Even my kids use my PPCs quite a bit. They are still alive and well (and so are the PPCs!).

Great article. Great company has it on their website. Not bad. Not bad at all. :yikes:

Now if they or someone, would come up with a GPS'r and PDA combo, one unit. THAT, that would be a GC geeks Christmas list come true!!! ... well, maybe not all GC Geeks but I would like to see it!

:laughing:

Along with the Garmin iQue, the Navman PiN and the Mitac Mio are almost identical.  All have integrated GPSrs.

We have the iQue, iQue M5, and Mitac Mio at the office. They are very different devices. Our favorite one is the Mitac Mio (though the mapping sucks. Get a Garmin for good turn by turn directions).

The Navman PiN has a different antenna so I doubt it is the rebranded Mio, though there are a few rebranded Mios out there.

Unfortunately none of these come in barebones versions. I suspect they would be much cheaper if you didn't get the map licenses.

(we also have various bluetooth gps receivers in the office. They all vary in features. I actually like these since they have their own power and can be ported around in a backpack).

Edited by Jeremy