Another "explosive" Cache Discovery

STOP THE PRESSES!!!

Could it be that the press was wrong? Could it be that the cache did not say "explosives" on it? Could it be that is was clearly marked as a GeoCache?

Having closely followed the events in South Carolina over the cemetery caches, I find it hard to believe that the press could have misrepresented this event. (*DRIPPING WITH SARCASM*)

Seriously, though, there is nothing wrong ammo boxes. Clearly label them. Place them in an obscure locations. (Not next to a bridge or public building.) But, I see no reason to stop using them.

I better stop before I get up on my soap box again. The guy next door is NOT out to blow you up. Thirty years ago there was the (rare) psycho out there blowing up things, but if we saw something in the woods and it looked like an ammo box, we wouldn't have thought twice about opening it. Get over it!

<snip>

I bet they do (why does everyone think all cops are stupid?), but on this site everyone uses a pseudonym.  You're "Bushwhacked Glenn", but that's not a positive ID for police, who are you really?  (No, I don't expect an answer)  That interview was probably given right after the 'event' so nobody had time to track the user name - I'm sure TPTB will co-operate and give what info the detectives want.

And how does this prevent you, or even the police, from going to my profile, or anyones profile, and clicking on the Send Message link? Would the police NOT knock on door in a neighborhood to search for a suspect just because they didn't know the phone number?

Also you are not as anonymous as you think on the Internet. Unless you exclusively use public terminals you can be located by authorities. I imagine it would take some time to track down someone that way, but it can be done.

“It would help to some degree, if it were marked and we knew who the owner was,” Haagen said. “That was part of the problem, too, today. We didn’t know who it belonged to as far as making a contact and having them confirm this was part of their game.

Opened it up, found some stuff inside, and got no leads.

I can't remeber finding a cache where either the name or the GC# wasn't on either the log book or cache info page or on the cache itself. I've sure there are caches out there without any ID but they are rare, at least where I have cached.

I must say this thread has been an interesting read. I haven't hid a cache yet but it gave me a lot to think about before I do. I was going to use a .50 cal ammo can I have and I was already planning on removing all the markings from it that say ".50 cal ammo". Going to contact my buddies with the DNR to make sure it is okay to hide it where I plan.

And how does this prevent you, or even the police, from going to my profile, or anyones profile, and clicking on the Send Message link? Would the police NOT knock on door in a neighborhood to search for a suspect just because they didn't know the phone number?

What good would sending an E-mail to an anonymous username do until you know who the real person is behind that username? All sending an e-mail would do is alert the "suspect" that the police are looking for him.

Also you are not as anonymous as you think on the Internet. Unless you exclusively use public terminals you can be located by authorities. I imagine it would take some time to track down someone that way, but it can be done.

Exactly, it would take some time, that is why they said they are looking for the person responsible. Until they find the person that is what they are doing.

I can't remeber finding a cache where either the name or the GC# wasn't on either the log book or cache info page or on the cache itself. I've sure there are caches out there without any ID but they are rare, at least where I have cached.

I have never see a cache with the cache owner's real name or personal contact info other than E-mail addresses, usually just their username, and maybe an E-mail address. Until they have an actual name and home address, they don't know who it is.

Edited by Docapi
An addendum to something that's already been said here; Folks tend to join bomb squads because they like blowing stuff up. Any time they can break out their toys to destroy a "suspicious" package, they're going to, not because they honestly think there might be a bomb inside, but because it's what they like to do. Blowing up "suspicious" packages gives credibility to their existance.

<snip>

Thats not exactly the same as but along the same line of thinking that firefighters tend to be arsonist. :anitongue:

I've always heard that from my firefighter husband, but he used the term "pyromaniac" which has a different connotation than "arsonist". :anitongue:

I use ammo cans and they all go through the same process prior to placement

1- sand paper (if needed)

2- a coat of spray paint to make it look better

3- Sometimes a geocaching sticker, other times cammo from the area I plan to place it in. I ALWAYS no matter what I put on there (unless it is the sticker) write in BIG BOLD LETTERS (GEOCACHE) on one side

I have no remorse for people who just throw cans out in the woods and the local bomb squad blows them up.

Ammo can repainted to match the hide. On two sides painted in 1" letters.

Geocache name of cache and owners name and email address.

Tupperware is not good for most caches in this area because of the dampness and heat. + some cachers cant get them closed properly. Somthing with a screw closed lid would work but damp contents just suck. :anitongue:

<snip>

I bet they do (why does everyone think all cops are stupid?), but on this site everyone uses a pseudonym.  You're "Bushwhacked Glenn", but that's not a positive ID for police, who are you really?  (No, I don't expect an answer)  That interview was probably given right after the 'event' so nobody had time to track the user name - I'm sure TPTB will co-operate and give what info the detectives want.

Why do you sound like you're arguing with me, when you are really agreeing with me - see the bold sections above. Clicking on your profile tells me nothing about who you really are - it may give me your city (around here that narrows it down from 250 to 1 million) and a way to send a message, but what do they have to do with your ID?

I've gotten an e-mail from the police about one of my caches - not a problem, just that the hide site was destroyed for a new bridge, the cache found and they wanted to return it. But that took a few days. I think that they'd like a bit quicker answer for a potential bomb.

This One is a bison tube. ... I don't know how you'll mark a bison tube to notify someone that happens to run across it...

All in all I guess it will happen once in awhile

You can't. Once reported they will treat it as if it were a bomb. Anyone can mark any container in any way they choose and will do so if they think it may get their actual bomb not reported if found.

That means even if you put your number on it, the bomb squad is going to treat it like a bomb once they have been called. There was another cache that was placaed with permission, found, then called in. The bomb squad got there and the last finder came up and said "It's a cache, I'll open it for you" and they said no, then shot it with a 50 cal water gun anyway. Protocal, Protocal, Protocal. And I would not have them do it any other way. Though I would have less blame flying around for the crap that's going to happen when random things are reported since that's a side effect of having a bomb squad to report them too.

As for your last line. It's the price of having terrorists and wack jobs. It's a small one to pay, but I hope they don't go the extra step and curtail harmless fun because of the wack jobs.

I'm just WAITING for the day to come, that someone, for whatever reason, hides a box full of money somewhere, and some other idiot finds it and calls the bomb squad. The bomb squad arrives, they blow the box up, cash flies everywhere, it appears on the national news. THEN, maybe, this wouldn't happen so often...