Snatching Up Tbs To Horde In Own Cache

TwoFreds

Earlier today my cache was stripped of two travel bugs (which were all the bugs that were currently in the cache) by another local cacher. According to the bug logs, immediately following their removal this other cacher moved the bugs into one of their own caches. This wouldn't be the end of the world in itself, but the cache the bugs were placed in is visited on an average of once per MONTH and there is now a total of 13 travel bugs in the cache that the owner has apparently looted from other local caches to place in their own!! I may be relatively new to all of this, but this just HAS to be bad etiquette is it not??

The "other" cache

There was a cacher that came down from another state to our area, looted many TBs (including all TBs in several well stocked caches) with the intent to place them in new caches of his...His new caches that he didn't bother setting up until weeks after he got back. He held onto many bugs for awhile. The B*$(#*@

Earlier today my cache was stripped of two travel bugs (which were all the bugs that were currently in the cache) by another local cacher. According to the bug logs, immediately following their removal this other cacher moved the bugs into one of their own caches. This wouldn't be the end of the world in itself, but the cache the bugs were placed in is visited on an average of once per MONTH and there is now a total of 13 travel bugs in the cache that the owner has apparently looted from other local caches to place in their own!! I may be relatively new to all of this, but this just HAS to be bad etiquette is it not??

The "other" cache

I'm gonna guess that this joker equates lotsa TB's with a good cache.

Considering that out of 24 logs, 5 are finds, 6 are DNF's, 9 are note posted by the owner, and 4 are notes by other players, all since February, this is probably the only way he can think of to get people to look for it.

If that's the case, he should find another tactic rather than raiding TB's out of caches that do get found.

I guess what bothers me the most about it is that I brought these two travel bugs all the way back from Hawaii a few days ago (where I left other bugs in place of the ones I took home with me), placed them in one of my caches (2500 miles away from where I found them) which is a fairly new cache that has been visited more in the last week than this "other" cache has been visited in the last two months! I live in a fairly rural area where frankly there are not a lot of travel bugs to begin with- and now probably 90 percent of them are in this one cache that is rarely visited. This other cache owner even mentions in one of the logs "I'm going to see how many travel bugs I can get in here before people start visiting" or something along those lines.

Frankly I really don't care if my own cache has travel bugs in it or not, because it is still a fun cache to visit- but I didn't bring these 2 TB's back 2500 miles with me to have them sit for months before being picked up and moved along either! Oh well... guess it's out of my hands now. End of rant :lol:

Edited by TwoFreds
Im going to try and send 4 tbs to the east coast, do you think this will happen?

:lol:

Guess it's not "how" but "who". As in decides to grab them along the way. My guess is that one or two of them will make it before you have great-great-grandkids.

I put one out not too long ago (Trippy Vibes) who I'm trying to send to Woodstock,NY from the Oregon Coast. The folks that grabbed it are heading to Joplin,MS soon so I'm actually feeling OK about that one :lol:

I am confused.... Twofreds is the one who complained that a local found his cache and took the travelbugs, placing them in their own cache and yet globecachers is the one sending the person a message and threatening to turn them into the admin?

globecachers profile shows they have only been a member for about 10 days and are caching in California thus far? and TwoFreds is in Oregon and a member for only 35 days and neither of their recorded caches seem to contradict those dates.

I am courious

1) what exactly did globecachers say to this person, since it is not against the rules to take travel bugs and put them in your own cache, the persons cache is legally placed and by Twofreds own admission the cache is also active (though not apparently as active as some think it should be)?

***According to the log books on TwoFreds, he too has been "looting" or collecting travel bugs and dropping them into his own cache :( , so I am not sure why he is so upset when he is doing the same thing and the bugs are traveling?

2) Why is globecachers writing this person anyway, let alone threatening to turn them into the admins, it was TwoFreds complaint and his cache. (which by the way still has one of his hawaii TB"s "Amik" in it according to the log)?

Would it make a difference if they named their cache a Travel Bug "Hotel" or "Inn", would you still be (in my opinion wrongly) trying to make them out a bad guy for hordeing tb's???

I am going to guess that this is a common case of new cachers getting sentamental about their caches/TB's and finds and taking things a little too personally. Maybe Twofreds is feeling :lol: competative because he and the person in question are both placing caches in Newport Oregon?

*** I am wondering how Globecachers placed the ONLY TB (Heart Of Loves) they have ever found (according to todays profile record) into a cache (Nealy's Corners) which has not yet been approved by the geocaching Admin, is Globecachers "padding" a friends cache himself? :D

***Whats that saying "he without sin cast the first stone"?

Geocaching is suppose to be FUN, there are a lot of families caching together, examples to be upheld, I don't think it is nessessary or appropriate to start naming calling Shop99er or turning people in to the admin Globecachers.......

Take a deep breath and let it go people..... :lol:

PS. if anyone catches site of "Free Share Bear Travel Bug", could ya tell him to write home? :D I haven't heard a word from him since I released him 6/8/05 and he was picked up the same day (before I could even log the drop) by a cacher I won't name......2 weeks and counting......kids, they just don't think about how we "parents" :D worry :D about them when they are out in the world alone...... :lol: LOL

www.FreeShare.SaveThisPlanet.com

To me it does appear as though the idea behind snatching all the TB's and placing them in his own cache, is purely selfishness - attempting to attract cachers to his cache purely for the TB's it contains.

Somebody mentioned the fact that would a name change of the cache to a TB Motel/Hotel would put a different slant on his actions. Basically, NO!

Even if it was a Hotel, the cache has been placed by a cacher for other cachers benefits and I have been under the impression that a successful cache should be dependent on the cachers who visit. The temptation is put there when the cache is first set with FTF bonuses. The cache should then live on its own merit: Location, interest, fun factor etc.

Comments?

Hey, TwoFreds, there's nothing to prevent you from visiting that cache and taking and redistributing all the bugs. Plan a long day or weekend of it and spread those guys back out.

Personally, I never place bugs in my own caches unless the cache is brand new - but many of mine are somewhat remote. I don't put bugs in older remote caches as the bugs may sit quite a while.

ok, i told that guy, and if he still does it, i will contact an admin. :lol::lol::(

Please don't be shocked when you call Groundspeak and ask for the desk sergeant who's in charge of the travel bug police squad, and instead you are put on hold to listen to muzak and lots of commercials to buy Signal the Frog plush toys.

*** I am wondering how Globecachers placed the ONLY TB (Heart Of Loves) they have ever found (according to todays profile record) into a cache (Nealy's Corners) which has not yet been approved by the geocaching Admin, is Globecachers "padding" a friends cache himself? :lol:

As I said to you in another thread, there's nothing wrong with this. Please get the idea of out of your head that a travel bug on a yet-to-be-listed cache page is somehow bad, or wrong. It happens daily while caches await review and publication. Thanks.

Has anyone contacted the guy? I don't think it's really that big of a deal personally but he may not even be aware that he may be upsetting some other local geocachers.

Plus you 'normally' get a better response with kind words than threats.

Instead of saying something like "Hey jerk, what you are doing sucks!"

Just send a nice note saying something like "While you may not be aware of it to some people taking all the travelbugs out of the area and placing them in your cache may be considered bad etiquitte(sp?). While it is appreciated that you are moving the bugs along maybe you should only put one or two in your cache at a time so other area cachers can enjoy the fun of the Travelbugs also. :-)

Thanks,

(Your name)

Edited by Eric K

As long as the TB's are going from cache to cache then things should be OK :yikes: . Is that not the purpose of a TB? :lol: No point in getting mad over who finds a TB and where it ends up. As long as it is in a cache then mission is complete and to standard. There is no point in contacting the cacher who has the TB too. All you will do is just make another cacher mad and then the next thing you know everyone is posting bad notes in the Forums :laughing: .

***According to the log books on TwoFreds, he too has been "looting" or collecting travel bugs and dropping them into his own cache :yikes: , so I am not sure why he is so upset when he is doing the same thing and the bugs are traveling?

2) Why is globecachers writing this person anyway, let alone threatening to turn them into the admins, it was TwoFreds complaint and his cache. (which by the way still has one of his hawaii TB"s "Amik" in it according to the log)?

Would it make a difference if they named their cache a Travel Bug "Hotel" or "Inn", would you still be (in my opinion wrongly) trying to make them out a bad guy for hordeing tb's???

I am going to guess that this is a common case of new cachers getting sentamental about their caches/TB's and finds and taking things a little too personally. Maybe Twofreds is feeling :laughing: competative because he and the person in question are both placing caches in Newport Oregon?

Don't get me wrong... I never suggested anyone "write" anyone or complain to admin. I just feel that it is wrong to collect a majority of TB's in the area for the sole purpose of enticing cacher's to visit your own cache. It's a little like "If anyone wants a Travel Bug in this town- they're going to have to come to MY cache to get one!"

I have nothing against this other cache or cacher. In fact I have logged the cache myself and think it's one of the more enjoyable caches in the area. It is probably not well suited for a horde of Travel Bugs however- as it is a 4-clue multi, involving a 3 mile hike with poor Gps reception under heavy tree canopy. The numerous "DNF's" logged illustrate the fact that the cache has often required several attempts to find- probably not an ideal spot for "out-of-towners" looking to help move a Travel Bug out of the area, as it does require a fair amount of time and effort.

MomToo- you obviously didn't read my TB logs very carefully to accuse me of 'looting TB's out of other caches to put in my own". The only bugs I placed in my own cache came from over 2500 miles away. I can also assure you that I am not a "new cacher getting sentimental/competitive about my cache". If that were the case, I would probably go retrieve all 13 of the TB's in the other cache and stick them in my own, wouldn't I? I have no interest in that type of thing- which is the whole point of this thread. Picking up a Travel Bug should be done in a way to further their progress rather than to hinder their progress, and they should be left spread out among various caches rather than snatched up to entice visitors to ONE cache in the area. That was my ONLY point.

Trust me, I'm not losing any sleep over the matter. Just thought it seemed wrong.

A person who has been a member of geocaching for 12 days wrote a nasty note and demanded that I "stop that right now". Of course my first reaction was where does this guy get off telling me what to do. It turned a fun game sour for me. Now I see he is threatening to file a complaint. Friendly notes accomplish much more than threats and demands.

I am extremely sorry if I have offended anyone by searching for caches, finding travel bugs, logging them and placing them in my own cache. I thought that was the whole idea of geocaching.

Go find my cache and take them out.

So as to not cause him further distress I will in the future refrain from searching for caches and TBs of the person who compained.

You should check out the other topics in the forum. There are many people hording TBs not necessarily even puting them in their own caches. One person claims to have 180.

A person who has been a member of geocaching for 12 days wrote a nasty note and demanded that I "stop that right now". Of course my first reaction was where does this guy get off telling me what to do. It turned a fun game sour for me. Now I see he is threatening to file a complaint. Friendly notes accomplish much more than threats and demands.

I am extremely sorry if I have offended anyone by searching for caches, finding travel bugs, logging them and placing them in my own cache. I thought that was the whole idea of geocaching.

Go find my cache and take them out.

So as to not cause him further distress I will in the future refrain from searching for caches and TBs of the person who compained.

You should check out the other topics in the forum. There are many people hording TBs not necessarily even puting them in their own caches. One person claims to have 180.

I am sorry that my original comment resulted in your receiving a nasty note- that is completely out of line and uncalled for. Certainly not my intention of posting the comment in the first place. As I mentioned before, I think the caches that you put out are great- and I applaud you for the effort. I was simply questioning the ethics of stripping other local caches of Travel Bugs in order to promote your own.