Web Hosting ? Where

I see that a lot of you have your own websites and domains, I have been considering creating my own site, I have seen a provider that seems like a reasonable price they are ideal hosting www.idealhosting.co.uk are they any good or does anyone recomend another host. I hope this is not to far off topic but I will have geocaching pages on my site if I decide to go ahead.

Cheers

Donnie

Thanks for all the info, Now a quick question if your hosting is somewhere else i.e your ISPs free space. Is all I need to do is buy a domain from 123-reg for £2.50 a year and tell them where my space is or are there other costs that I have not seen.

If I then want more space and buy a host package is it easy to change it? simple is best for me when it comes to these things.

Cheers

Donnie

Thanks for all the info, Now a quick question if your hosting is somewhere else i.e your ISPs free space. Is all I need to do is buy a domain from 123-reg for £2.50 a year and tell them where my space is or are there other costs that I have not seen.

If I then want more space and buy a host package is it easy to change it? simple is best for me when it comes to these things.

Cheers

Donnie

That's exactly what I do, plus you get a load of email address's in the format anything@your.site.co.uk which you forward to any email address you like, ie your ISPs.

If memory serves me right you have to buy a minimum of two years worth of registration ie £5

Edited by Phillimore Clan

Cheers

Donnie

There are no hidden costs and you get several email redirectors (ie. anything@yourdomain.co.uk/com) You can easily point your domain name to your free webspace I have done this myself in the past. :lol:

Xiwolf

IMHO domain hosting is a no-brainer - use 123-reg! They're honest (unlike UK2.net) and cheap (unlike names.co.uk).

Web hosting is more tricky because there's a greater range of services to choose between. Unless you're on a really tight budget, look for perl, PHP and MySQL at a minimum. As well as the basic price you pay, look at the upgrade price for stuff like adding extra domains / sub-domains, more disk space, more bandwidth etc. Look for good technical support. Lunarpages have a very efficient free telephone support service, with some companies you're on your own! A useful test is to find their technical support email address. If you can't, move on! If you can, mail in some easy question like "how many subdomains can I create?" and see how long it takes them to get back to you.

FWIW, my experience is as follows:

eSiteHost - big, fast servers, outstanding tech support, good attitude, lots of disk, bandwidth and features for not too much money. I'd certainly suggest you put them on your shortlist.

Simply.com - bad attitude (eg they remove scripts they consider insecure without warning or notification), unprofessional, expensive, wouldn't recommend.

Gearhost.com - expensive, wouldn't recommend.

Donhost.co.uk - expensive, flaky servers, wouldn't recommend.

geti.com - dirt cheap, well featured, dadgum slow. Fun to play with, but not for production websites!

oneandone.co.uk - expensive, high end webhosting.

Lunarpages - good on the surface - professional, stable, good tech support, easily upgradable but I've twice severely regretted chosing them for medium-large sites, so I couldn't recommend them.

But whatever web hosting company you choose, I'd recommend you host your domain name somewhere else. There's no advantage to hosting both domain and website with the same company, and it can make it more difficult if you ever need to move your website somewhere else.

I use ukhost4u its £39.99 (+vat I think) per year and at the moment the first years domain name is free.

1GB Web Space

25GB Monthly Transfer

Unlimited Sub Domains

Unlimited My SQL Databases

Web-based Email

24/7 Technical Support

PHP Support

Full Site Statistics

Front Page Extensions

ETC

I use it for my own pages and the CoTM/Hall of fame pages.

When choosing a hosting company, beware of false economies. If it's dirt cheap, then it's usually a clue that the service isn't up to much. The exception to this rule is 123-reg who are, as previous posters have said, pretty darned good. If you need more features and are prepared to part with a few more beer vouchers, the I'd suggest their bigger sister company WebFusion (I've used them for years, and no real gripes)

I use Fasthosts, Not as cheap as 123-reg but the basic hosting packages are somewhat more comprehensive. If you are hosting images for forums then the unlimited bandwidth is a bonus.

[edit]

I am in the process of building another machine to set up my own (Linux) web server at home. That is the cheapest form of hosting of all. DNS is handled by ZoneEdit and information on how to do it all is on DSL / Cable Webserver. Excellent resource for anybody who wants to set up their own web server on their cable / adsl setup.

[/edit]

Edited by Turkey Trotter

I went for a hosted service in the end because the paperless guide kept stuffing my free webspace up. The smaller documents are uploaded to the free webspace.

For a really nice WYSIWYG look for net objects fusion on pc mag cover disks. Does a good job for me at present. Currently get quite a lot of hits into the geocaching FAQ on our website. www.markandlynn.co.uk

Paperless caching guide update coming soon BTW to add some new PQ tricks and tips.

I can recomend hosting by www.b-one.net as they have server me well for the last few years, and it's one of the few companies that offer unlimited bandwidth (this is basically fine if you don't abuse it) for cheap hosting. Despite £0.90 a month being their quote, along with domain and setup charges, it worked out about £50 for year one, and £30 for year two, including domains, subdomains and e-mail addresses (as many as you can think up).

Their customer service is far from perfect (and by e-mail only), but if you have a fair idea what you are doing, they are excellent.

Hi All,

A newbie here with his first post!

Two minutes into my first visit to the forum and a spot a posting for my favourite subject........ Web Hosting.

I actually provide a Domain Name Registration and Web Hosting Service ( Web Site at My-iHost and I'm am willing to do any GeoCacher a Good Deal!

Just Contact Me.

Ray Day

Edited by Ray Day
When choosing a hosting company, beware of false economies.  If it's dirt cheap, then it's usually a clue that the service isn't up to much.  The exception to this rule is 123-reg who are, as previous posters have said, pretty darned good.  If you need more features and are prepared to part with a few more beer vouchers, the I'd suggest their bigger sister company WebFusion (I've used them for years, and no real gripes)

Yeah if you can spare some more cash I'd agree that Webfusion is the way to go.

Although I have hosted several sites with 123-reg and found them to be excellent 123-reg's basic hosting is just what it says on the tin.....basic. :anitongue:

I must admit that the extras that Webfusion offer are worth the extra cash and if you sign up for Webfusion when you aquire your domain name from 123-reg they usually give you a special discount for doing so. :anitongue:

Xiwolf

Edited by Xiwolf