Where Is Magellan Conversion Manager ??

desh

Can someone point me to a location where i can obtain the Magellan Conversion Manager software to convert my DirectRoute maps (v.1.0) to Explorist 500 version? I cant find my Explorist CD and Magellan does not have it on their website. Any help will be appreciated. Pls PM. thanks

I don't know any other place to get the conversion manager software, either. However, you can work around it's absence without too much work...especially if it's maps you are moving over.

Conversion Manager doesn't really do a whole lot of conversion...it mostly provides a Magellan-produced means to connect to the explorsit. But just use Windows Explorer. When you hook up the explorist in data transfer mode, you should get a windows explorer window showing the current folder's contents. Open the PC folder holding the detail map file, and just drag 'n' drop into the detail maps folder in your explorist.

If you need to move waypoints back and forth, there is a format conversion involved. GPSBabel (or GSAK/GPSBabel) can handle that.

If you entered the internal serial number from your explorist from the about screen into DR, then the generated imi file used by the explorist should reside in the MapSend DirectRoute NA\Export\Images folder. Generate one and see if it's there.

Edited by embra

I think all the conversion manager does is put a file in its correct folder on the SD card or internal memory in the eXplorist. for example, putting a geocache .gs file in the geocache folder. Same for maps. I do not use the conversion manager, just drag and drop. For waypoint management/conversions I use GSAK/GPSBabel.

I dont know if any of you guys have tried *exactly* what i am doing. First of all, in DirectRoute v1.0 there is no "imi" file created. its an "img" file, yes, even with the explorist GPS serial # entered before creating detailed maps. and copying that into the Detail Maps directory on SD card does not do anything. so i dont understand how others have been able to work without the conversion manager. If someone knows exactly what i am talking about can they PM me (or post) step-by-step method to get it to work. many thanks for your inputs.

I just stepped through it to verify.

1. Define region, toggle check box to select.

2. Regions/upload to GPS

3. Select "Store on hard drive"

4. Verify/enter target GPS serial number

5. Finish

My newly-created .imi file is indeed sitting there in this directory:

MapSend DirectRoute NA\Export\Images

There's a place or two to go wrong in there, but not much. If you are doing all that and still getting an img file, I have to suspect that the serial number is the culprit. I'll mention again that it has to be the serial number from the About screen, not the one in the battery case. If we're still coming up empty on this, I'd ask that you either post here or send by pm the serial number you are entering so we can see if it looks right (my 500 has the right number of digits, so I didn't have to figure out what to drop and what to include. For comparison purposes, mine is 11840001108)

I figured it out. the quirk was that when stored to SD it was doing .img but when stored to hard drive it does .imi why? who knows, who cares !! many thanks for the tips. appreciate all the help. its a very nice forum.