Logging Your Own Caches As Finds

We recently had a T-bug that hd goals for pics that fit in quite well with two of our chaches, so we wnt to those locations and took the pics. We then posted the pics with our note on the bug's page. But...

It occured to us that you could log the bug through your cache, but that would mean logging your cache as a find, at least we think it would, in order to place the bug there and then pick it up again. We didn't do that because it did not seem right.

A - Are we wrong? is there a way to log a bug in and out of a cache with out "finding" the cache?

B - Do people log their own caches as finds in general?

You can log bugs out of caches by posting a note instead of a find.

While it is frowned upon to log finds on your own caches, I have logged "attended" on my own events, even though I hosted them, I still attended just the same.

We recently had a T-bug that hd goals for pics that fit in quite well with two of our chaches, so we wnt to those locations and took the pics.  We then posted the pics with our note on the bug's page. But...

It occured to us that you could log the bug through your cache, but that would mean logging your cache as a find, at least we think it would, in order to place the bug there and then pick it up again.  We didn't do that because it did not seem right.

A - Are we wrong?  is there a way to log a bug in and out of a cache with out "finding" the cache?

You can post a note to log bugs in and out.

I do not log my or my other halfs caches, doesn't seem right to me.

Just how I feel though.

WH is to quick for me :lol::lol:

Edited by Big Dawgg

Well Z&S, the first three answering posts were helpful but it is starting to go down hill now.

Most of us know that you are asking how to log tb's into a cache you have already visited. Most of us know that you are NOT suggesting that people should log multiple finds for one cache. These topics take off on a tangent quite easily.

Hummmm I never considered logging a find on one of my own caches.How can you find something you put there and already know where it is.Unless you have some timers like me. :lol:

I have logged one of my caches as a find and it was one I had to look for because I had no idea were it was.

This was a island cache in the area that was owned by someone that was not from the area, a vacation cache.

He had someone to watch it at the time he placed it.

Over time there had been some problems with the cache and he no longer had anyone to watch it.

He emailed me and asked if I would like to adopt the cache as one of the last finders posted a problem with the cache and he did not have anyone in the area to take care of it anymore.

So to help out I adopted the cache.

A cache that I had never found.

Shortly after adopting it I went out to the island to find it.

After finding it I logged it as a find.

At this point I was the owner of the cache so I was logging my own cache as a find.

A - Are we wrong? is there a way to log a bug in and out of a cache with out "finding" the cache?

A - Yes, Yes

B - No,

Edited by Milbank

No we do not log finds on our own cache's ... the ones we have placed anyway .. however there are a couple of caches we had already visited and logged finds on and later adopted .. thus those do show "finds" on them .

We also know of a great cacher with a terrific series of caches that has in essence "ownership" but has never actually visited the cache listed ( he just does the cache page for other members .. as they for some reason or another found it easier for him to do it for them ) In this case I think it would be ok for him to go ahead and "find" these(although he hasn't done so as yet, and I am not sure that he will ) ...

To drop a TB into "Our " cache or even one we have previously visited we will simply post a note . No need to log a find on something you hid, or already have been to .

Star

I claim my daughter's caches as finds, even though I'm present when they are hidden. I do leave the MEFF slot for the next person. My daughter claims the ones I hide when she is along, or when she finds them on a maintenence run. We claim our own events as finds. Beyond that, it's like getting your sister pregnant. It's fun, you get the number, but people just look at you funny. :anitongue:

Although I never logged a find on one of my caches, I once thought it's not that far fetched. AFter one of my caches was reported plundered by 2 or 3 people, I went to check it out. The place was so overgrown I wasn't sure of the location I hid it in and wasn't sure it was lost or I just couldn't find it. Pretty embarrassed! So I posted nothing, said nothing and waited in silence. After a few weeks, someone showed up and found the cache. Whew! Now wouldn't it be appropriate for me to go find it and if I do report it as a find? I mean when you can't find your own cache, well...

Log my own caches? Uh, no.

Sure as heck felt like doing that on one a month or so back when I did a regular maintenance check. In one month the darn thing migrated so far it took me 42 minutes to find it. On other folks' caches I logged that day, the longest I spent to log a find was 6 minutes.

Yup, that sure felt like a "find." Didn't log it, despite the temptation...