Directroute Question

Before I spend the money on DirectRoute, does magellan do updates? I currently have the older Magellan Streets but they obviously do not update that and I want to make sure DirectRoute is supported and updated. :lol:

If they do update, has anyone seen an update in their area?

thanks!

ED: typo

Edited by Team Shing

they dont offer free upgrades, they make you buy whatever newer version comes out. They do offer some sort of rebate program but its still a stupid way to do business if you ask me. Normally from any software I have purchased, software updates are free but if they come out with a new version that has new features than you should be expected to pay for that.

Magellan <profanity inserted here> when it comes to this Mapsend stuff.

Edited by D0T-C0M

I would have to say that Magellan has a poor mapping upgrade policy. I've tracked their products since '01 and can't once remember an actual map update that was available for purchase or a (non-trivial) program update. When they _do_ a minor upgrade, they tend to deny it for a long time and never mention it publicly. DirectRoute, Streets & Destinations, and Topo/USA had this happen. You won't find upgrades for any of those on the web or available for purchase on the web. The Magellan community was left to observe what the differences were and if you wanted them badly enough, beg support to sell you one.

Equally often, the programs are just replaced leaving you with an "upgrade" price that's usually higher than street price on the new programs. We saw Topo get replaced by Topo3D and S&D replaced by DR and the upgrade price on each was higher than street price on the new packages.

Annual upgrades of DR were mentioned on the web site when DR started shipping in 11/03. I think every copy that's in use now annoys the users when the receiver is started to check the websites for updates. 18 months later, there have been no data updates officially announced - see above for confusion it causes.

Someone recently called me a "Magellan fanboy" but I have to say that in professionalism of delivered updates, Garmin does _much_ better.

I sent an email to Magellan just last week....

Your website states that the Directroute NA maps would be updated annually. This was the main reason I purchased this software. This map data is now over two years old. I am registered on the Magellen website and have gotten no information on when an update will be available. I recently upgraded my GPSr to an eXplorist 600 and am thinking of returning it because I don't even have accurate map data to load into it. Could you please advise me when an updated version of Directroute NA software will be available so I can decide weather or not to keep my eX-600.

Their response...

Dear Magellan Customer,

We apologize, at this time, there are no plans for a near future release.

Thank you for your patience

Thales Navigation

Technical Support Engineer

1-800-669-4477

909-394-5000

Nice huh?? :D

like the old saying goes

Magellan, Fool me once, shame on you, Fool me twice, shame on me

This is my second product I've bought, if their product support doesn't get ant better than this, it will be my last.

Again I want to apologize for everyone on this forum, for my recents posts are so negative but after spending over $700 on the explorist600 and mapsend software I am less than happy with my product support, which is too bad as I believe the explorist line of GPSr's have great potential if only Magellan would get off their big corporate butt

Edited by D0T-C0M

Dot-Com,

I think there are a lot of us lurking and waiting to see whether we too want to drop the $700 to get the explorist and associated software. I'm nearly ready, but the lack of capabilities (such as routing along a favorite path, routing without highway, routing mainly highway, etc) of Directroute are holding me off for now. Plus the apparent lack of updates is very disappointing.

All said, do you regret your purchase or are you overall ok with the product?

All said, do you regret your purchase or are you overall ok with the product?

Well so far I have mixed feelings, I regret waiting the extra month for the ex600 because as far as I am concerned I should have bought the 500 for all the use the added feature of the 600 are. I honestly do think the explorist hardware in general is a major step forward, i.e screen , database/filesystem but I'm so frustrated at the total lack of software/firmware support that if Garmin were to come out with a comparable unit, I think I would sell mine and switch.

If your asking me if I would spend $700 over again, I would have to say NO not after seeing the apparent total lack of software/firmware updates. I must foot some of the blame because I knew beforehand that they never issued patches for their Mapsend products back when I had my Sportrak map. I send Magellan one email every week and it falls into a blackhole because they never come back. Maybe an email bomb would get there attention. If everybody emailed them continuously maybe they would wakeup but I'm no longer holding my breath.

If I were you, I'd heed the warnings as I am not the only one thats feeling this way, Wait till the bugs are worked out.

Edited by D0T-C0M

How did you possibly spend $700 on an Explorist outfit? I purchased an Explorist 500 and DirectRoute for a shipped-to-my-door price of just about $385. Even if you upgraded to the 600 and also got the Topo 3D, you should still be below $500.

That doesn't fix your problem, but I'm wondering if you are exaggerating to make it sound worse than it is.

Jamie

No exaggeration, Actually it was more than $700, Keep in mind I'm from canada and things are more expensive here.

$489 GPS

$109 Mapsend topo Canada

$29.99 Handlebar mounting bracket

----------------

$627.99

+ 15% tax

----------------

$722.19

plus 18$ shipping

----------------

$740.19 Total canadian

Now you know why I'm pissed at the lack of support.

You can verify my math by going to www.gpscentral.ca , they had the best canadian prices I could find.

Edited by D0T-C0M

Looks like we're still talking the same ballpark...if you take away that killer tax rate (internet purchases in the States are usually tax-free) and ignore the shipping rate:

628 CAD = 510 USD

We'll have to remember that Jamie got an attractive price on the 500, (I'm still thanking you for passing that along, Jamie!), and that prices tend to be better stateside in general. But it's an important distinction to make...besides the SD card capabilities, I originally purchased my Magellan Meridian because it looked to me to represent some of the better value available. I still think that's the case for the hardware, but Dot-Com has a legitimate gripe. I guess one has to take a look at the marketplace as a whole and put it into context.