60cs - Weird Display Failures While "find"ing

Hi 60cs owners out there,

Lately I've been having a very strange issue with my 60cs. About every once out of 10 times the screen goes nuts while I'm doing a Find. Sometimes the GPS reboots shortly thereafter, but sometimes it keeps working with the display distorted.

The last time it happened I had my camera handy:

garmin_small.jpg

Besides the inverted display shown above, I've also seen "interlaced" (only every other line visible) and discolored image, as well as digital noise.

Anyone has seen any of these ever? If it is a unique hardware issue, I'd like to send the GPS back before the warrany expires, but if it is a more widespread issue, I don't want to lose my GPS for weeks to service...

Thanks!

Before I'd send it back, I'd try upgrading the firmware (new version 4.00 just came out). CLICK HERE

If that doesn't work, I'd try doing a MASTER RESET. Press and continue to hold down the [ENTER] and [PAGE] buttons while turning the unit on. All user data (Waypoints, Routes, Tracks, etc.) will be wiped-out after doing a Master Rest!

I noticed the top of the menu bar is clipped off despite the angle of view of the GPS.

Also something like this could happen if the polarity of a couple wires to the LCD module were reversed.

Send the GPS back to Garmin with a couple pictures in the box of what the screen looks like when messed up.

Edited by GOT GPS?
I noticed the top of the menu bar is clipped off despite the angle of view of the GPS.

Send the GPS back to Garmin with a couple pictures in the box of what the screen looks like  when messed up.

It is just a shadow, the menu bar was fine and dandy...

I guess repair is out of question, I've just barely run out of warranty and they demand $150 to fix it (when a new one is less than $350 -- are they insane?).

I have always been a big supporter of Garmin, but I guess I'm not buying my next GPS from them ;)

If you called them, send an email.  If you emailed them, call them.  Keep contacting them until you get a customer service rep who's sympathetic to your situation and accepts the repair for free.  Chances are you'll get a different rep each time.  :unsure:

The email rep was an a**, but the phone rep was nice and agreed to fix it for free (granted, I had to wait 45 minutes on hold!!!).

See follow-up thread for the next chapter of my odyssey.