North East Geo Gala

avroair

Save the date. Mark your calendar. More info and cache page to come.

Lakelady and I have made contact with camp Glen Gray boy scout camp in New Jersey and they are delighted to have us host a camping and caching event there over Labor Day weekend.

http://www.glengray.org/

The place is very reasonable in comparison to other places. I believe it is $4 to reserve a tent site for the weekend. With over 100 caches within a 5 miles radius (and the Hiker Series going right through the camp), the place seems ideal.

We can rent the dining hall and kitchen for the event day Sunday.

Cool.

Somehow, I have not yet managed to cache in NJ. This <upscale accent>gala</upscale accent> just may be my debut!

Geez! What's this hobby coming to??

I never thought I'd see "Miss Jenn" and "upscale gala" in the same post. :D:lol::lol:

You didn't she just SAYS she is going to attend then 'work' gets in the way! :D

I never thought I'd see "Miss Jenn" and "upscale gala" in the same post. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I'm sorry. Perhaps I misspoke? English is not my first language, you see.

By "upscale" and "gala," does it mean that composting toilets will be available at the campsite, as opposed to just primitive camping?

Edited by MissJenn
The place is very reasonable in comparison to other places. I believe it is $4 to reserve a tent site for the weekend. With over 100 caches within a 5 miles radius (and the Hiker Series going right through the camp), the place seems ideal.

We can rent the dining hall and kitchen for the event day Sunday.

If this turns out anything like the bonfire, i'll be crawling through that hiker series. :lol:

Glen Grey is an old Boy Scout camp and is very easily accessed off of Route 202 (Ramapo Valley Road) in Oakland, NJ very near the Mahwah border. This should be a preemo spot to run a geocaching event from. Haven't been up there in years but brings out some great memories...will have to check the calendar.

Could be called "Labor (Day) of Love - Geocaching".

Another great idea from Avroair...way to go!

Pick your poison:

One entry found for festival.

Entry Word: festival

Function: noun

Text: a time or program of special events and entertainment in honor of something <tourists flock to the town for its annual strawberry festival>

Synonyms carnival, celebration, festivity, fete (or fête), fiesta, gala, jubilee

Related Words jamboree, jollification, merrymaking, revel, revelry; exhibit, exhibition, exposition, fair, show; exercises, honors

I like Jollification, but can't think of a way to make it flow..

North East Camping/Caching Jollification? :lol:

As organizer of the "Geo Jamboree" that I saw mentioned a few times, I am all too aware of the need for support from our fellow cachers in order to run an event like this. I would therefore like to offer two things in order to help with this event.

1) I will make one of my big maps of the area with all the caches on it as I am accustomed to making for local events up here.

2) I will help with preparation of a group breakfast if you are planning that route (in a central location or in the dining hall if the kitchen will be available to us). My specialty is pancakes of all kinds.

This is a great idea and I am anxious to see it become a reality.

Walt

---------

dining hall if the kitchen will be available to us)
----

Glen Gray facilities are booked on a menu basis. I believe that the charge for dining hall and kitchen is now $200, and there are conditions attached, such as a security deposit, but the should be checked. Must be reserved as all other accomodations must be reserved.

Ampitheatre and fire ring are separate charge.

There are cabins that can accomodate up to 30 persons, with electricity and propane-- which we booked in Jan 05 for $230. We used lean to site for next to nothing in November and had at least 30 people there. Everything must be carried in. There is no drive in and drop. No cars beyond the parking lot.

Lakelady and I (Avroair) took a tour of the facilities today and it looks right up our alley. The kitchen and dining hall are huge and well stocked with utensils, grills, fridges and freezers.

The campsites are, well, rustic, but they have running water and platforms with tents already standing are available.

There are also lean-tos and cabins available.

There is also an amphitheater as well as firepits at individual campsites.

They are checking whether boating and kayaking will be made available to us as well.

The camp links up with both Ramapo Reservation AND Skyline Drive

The camping is $4.00 for the entire weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With some other things such as safety deposits and we will have to rent the dining hall and other facilities.

Tentatively Schedule

Saturday - check-in opens at 8 a.m. and continues thru the day. People or groups will be responsible for their own meals.

Sunday - EVENT DAY!!! Open to both people staying and day-trippers. Activites would include games, breakfast, lunch and dinner and an evening group bonfire at the council firepit. Oh, and caching as well!!!

Monday - check out by 11:00 a.m.

I need to coordinate with the volunteer bookings person, but it seems easier for me or another NNJC member to handle all the bookings and reserve the appropriate space.

If you are planning to attend as a group or if I haven't contacted your group leaders and you would like to bring a group, please post it here.

I will submit the cache page in the next couple of days..

:anitongue:

Wow this is pretty close to home for me. I need to make sure nothing big is going on that weekend (hopefully not) so I can make this event. I attended the GeoJamboree last year and that was lots of fun.

Hope to be there!

,Nick

:P

Hmmmmmm............

How about "DOG - GONE!" - "Day(s) of Geocaching - Geocachers of the North East". .....sounds almost religious, don't it!

for Avro - don't know what is happening yet, but should have some spare time latter July/August. Let me know via e-mail of what needs to be done; should be able to do something!

"Where ever you go, there you'll be...unless you're lost!"

I will work on a logo as soon as we can all call it something.

How many states are considered to be in the northeast?

I was thinking we call it the G9 Summit or something to echo the big G8 summit coming up.

We could call it the GC9 Summit or something to that effect. :blink::P

Helpers needed in the following areas:

1. setup / greeting commitee

2. event cache placers

3. group hike leaders

4. kitchen / cooking crew

5. activities group

6. firepit crew

7. clean up crew

8. raffle / prize group

:anicute: If you would like to volunteer for or lead any of these groups. Drop me an e-mail and I will discuss with you the duties. :blink:

Helpers needed in the following areas:

1. setup / greeting commitee

2. event cache placers

3. group hike leaders

4. kitchen / cooking crew

5. activities group

6. firepit crew

7. clean up crew

8. raffle / prize group

:anicute: If you would like to volunteer for or lead any of these groups. Drop me an e-mail and I will discuss with you the duties. :blink:

You left out a very important one Mark!

9. Naked noodle dancing to the Greatful Dead or Phish. (Depending on your age.)