Add Nearest To Work/other Functionality

Lux

I work about 25 miles away from my home. It would be nice to have a short cut to another "Nearest to" function like I have for my house. While your adding it, why not add two extra to allow for some flexibility. Here is my suggested enhancement.

--Lux

Update the right hand gray box under "My Account"

Search for nearest caches from:

* Home (filter out finds) Mapit

* Work (filter out finds) Mapit

* Other (filter out finds) Mapit

List newest in <state>

View nearby benchmarks

Update your coordinates

Add the new coordinates to this screen:

Mark my Home Coordinates

Your home coordinates will be used for quick searches, weekly cache notifications, and pocket queries. It's not a requirement but it can greatly enhance the functionality of the web site.

Edited by luxuryoils

I've often thought it would be a nice feature to have if you find yourself being in multiple places at once. However not many people would use it as much as others. Adding more than one location, and being able to search for caches that way instead of by zipcode would be cool to have though.

The chicken is right. I've got 2 pocket queries set up for different work locations. I put links to the preview pages on my Excite homepage. You could put them in your favorites folder, of course. The end result would be handier than going to your account page and clicking from there.

Bret

Yeah... I'm not burning a pocket query on a specially formatted URL with zero special search requirements.

I'm getting the feeling that feature enhancements/suggestions are not really taken seriously (I am NOT referring to Jeremy here) but that we're encouraged to work around the system. I can only imagine the CPU cycles a previewed pocket query burns (with all of it's special search criteria) vs a simple closest to a coordinate search. Maybe the database indexes are so extensive that it does not matter, or barely matters.

Well I'm going to consider building my own "My Account" page with special links to things I find of value and just use/abuse the system as I see fit.

This truly has been a discouraging 10 posts in this forum. <_<

You have 20 pocket queries available. If all 20 are more important than one called "caches closest to office," well then, I am jealous that you live in an area with such high cache density, or that you get to travel often to other areas for which you store that many pocket queries. We hear the same complaints from other cache-dense areas like in California.

Please remember that you do not have to schedule a pocket query to "run" (that is, to send you an e-mail with a GPX file). Using the "preview" feature on the nearest cache page does not use up one of your five daily GPX file e-mails. It is just like any other search done online, except that you've customized it to your exact requirements, like near your office and only caches that you haven't found.

I have a similar Pocket Query centered on downtown, where I work, about 18 miles from my home. A quick pulldown of my "favorites" list to find the bookmark for that query's preview results, and I am taken to a Geocaching.com nearest cache page full of the caches I've not yet found, centered on my office.

Yeah... I'm not burning a pocket query on a specially formatted URL with zero special search requirements.

You don't have to burn a pocket query. Just create a short cut to the following URL

<http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?origin_lat=dd.dddd&origin_long=dd.dddd&submit3=Submit>

Latitude and Longitude are in decimal degrees. Use negative number for W and S.

I'm getting the feeling that feature enhancements/suggestions are not really taken seriously (I am NOT referring to Jeremy here) but that we're encouraged to work around the system.  I can only imagine the CPU cycles a previewed pocket query burns (with all of it's special search criteria) vs a simple closest to a coordinate search.  Maybe the database indexes are so extensive that it does not matter, or barely matters. 

Running the Pocket Query in preview mode probably doesn't create any more significant load on the server than the above query. The expensive part of a pocket query is getting the logs and the cache description for the GPX file. This part of the query is probably not even generated when in preview mode. Depending on the search criteria, the SQL Server may even be able to optimize the query so it is more efficient that a "simple" closest to a coordinate search.

Well I'm going to consider building my own "My Account" page with special links to things I find of value and just use/abuse the system as I see fit.

This truly has been a discouraging 10 posts in this forum. <_<

Jeremy is nice enough to have this forum where we can make suggestions for enhancements to the site. Those who respond making suggestions on how to best accomplish something given current constraints are only trying to be helpful. I don't think they are dismissing your suggestions outright.

Edited by tozainamboku

It's not about having enough pocket query slots. It is about ease of use and being a good citizen of the site. There are at least four queries based on your home coordinates. You can:

Find from home /seek/nearest.aspx?lat=xx.xxxxxxx&lon=-xx.xxxxxxx

Filter out Finds /seek/nearest.aspx?lat=xx.xxxxxxx&lon=-xx.xxxxxxx&f=1

Map Finds from home /map/getmap.aspx?lat=xx.xxxxxxx&lon=-xx.xxxxxxx

Find Benchmarks from home /mark/nearest.aspx?lat=xx.xxxxxxx&lon=-xx.xxxxxxx

The lat/lon can be any valid number and so other than storing some common used coordinates (work/parents/friends house) and automatically serving them up, my request is simply a bunch of shortcuts.

Pocket queries are executed via the following:

/seek/nearest.aspx?pq=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx

The system has to load and evaluate all the pocket query information, which I can't believe is equivalent (in CPU cycles) to the above URLs.

Again, I don't know why I even care if the system is brought to it's knees.

Happy Caching and VIVA LA POCKET QUERY!

You don't even need to use a PQ for this. All you have to do is go to the search screen and do a search for caches nearest your work. I would then add &f=1 one the end of the URL so it doesn't give me caches that I've already found. Next copy the resulting url. Here's mine. Finally, just drop a shortcut to this address onto your desktop.

edit: Wow. It took me forever to respond.

Edited by sbell111

After all this sidetrack about pocket queries, I would like to say that my 2nd most wanted feature from GeoCaching.com is to be able to add multiple locations to my profile. Just like MS Windows has different locations (for dialing / connection purposes) it would be a great day when I could add other locations I frequent and be able to just tell it I want to search from there instead. The possible other locations could be favorite travelling destinations, relative's homes, etc. I think that the very fact that others have considered this and come up with so many good work arounds (using pocket queries, web links, customized web addresses, etc.) should tell us that it is a feature that has some demand and would get used if available.

For myself, I am a college student, in the military, am a Boy Scout leader, and have a long standing relationship with my girlfriend. So I have my parent's home where I grew up, my home at school, prominent military instillations I frequent for training, and my girlfriend's home, all of which I visit at least one "away" place a month. I would get great use from this feature.

Since there are fairly easy workarouds, I'd rather see the programming forces for the site be spent with Uploading Multiple waypoints for a cache, Buddy Lists, Caches Along a Route, Favorite Caches Ratings, Replacement for Locationless Caches...

Do the programmers "work" for the site or are they volunteer? I'll volunteer my programming abilities if man-hours are very sparse.

I manage another site with one of my fraternity brothers (http://www.autke.org) also written entirely in PHP. The changes that we are mentioning are not really complicated things for experienced PHP/MySQL programmers. Adding multiple locations would involve a few database cells, the addition of a drop down box, a variable to track which one is "current", a link to delete a location, and a quick page form to add one. This would take less then an hour (especially if you are already farmiliar with the site's code) + probably 2 hours for debugging and tidying up.

I'll admit I'm new to this site, but some of the things people are asking for aren't hard to implement. Buddy lists is only about equally complicated. Adding multiple cache waypoints is about the same thing too, a variable of how many there are, a button to add another, a button to delete one, and the tables in the database to hold the info (and really you could use the same field and seperate the coordinates by some special character).

Again, I'm new here, but it seems people are very resistant to change around here or something. After reading a few dozen posts, I've never seen so many people shooting down ideas left and right. How about we help each other out and try to figure out how to get lots of good ideas implemented, instead of just tossing them because we're uncertain how to get it done?

We have this feature for some other functionality we're implementing around locationless caches. In the meantime you can use bookmarks to accomplish the same task, and they can be browser (and machine) specific without using pocket queries.

The review link for pocket queries is semi-cpu intensive, but the results are only grabbed from page to page so it is a significantly smaller load compared to a full Pocket Query. Since only Premium Members have this feature it further reduces the load on the database. It is an acceptable use of Pocket Queries.

...it seems people are very resistant to change around here or something.  After reading a few dozen posts, I've never seen so many people shooting down ideas left and right...

The problem isn't that I was trying to shoot down a new idea. The idea has actually been suggested MANY times in the past.

Sorry for the length of the post...

There are a great many ideas and suggestions from cachers for new features for this site. I have my priorities for which ones I've seen over the YEARS of suggestions (yes, some suggested years ago have been agreed upon as good, and never implemented).

Your priority right now is to have a secondary location. Others have suggested your idea in the past as well, and it also hasn't been implemented. Neither have Buddy Lists, Caches Along a Route, Favorite Caches Ratings, Replacement for Locationless Caches, Multiple coordinates (parking), etc. Many of these ideas are VERY easy to implement (I work in databases as well). Some are not.

However, based on the very slow rate that even the easiest new features are implemented to the site, I just wanted to comment that there are many other features for which cachers have been waiting for what seems like an eternity. This site has a priority and wish list that it does not make public. I'm sure that priority list is different from mine, as it is from yours.

In Feb of 2003, a solution for Locationless Caches was promised for April/May of 2003. I've read from some posts that the solution is just around the corner...

0689801939.jpg

So while an extra set of home coordinates would be cool, since it's SO EASY to perform a viable workaround, I'd rather that the programmers focus their time on either implementing difficult features that have been requested multiple times, or focus on getting the site to run at its optimum level (anyone notice that we haven't had the time-out errors like we did early spring?).

Just my penny.gifpenny.gif

Well I think I am starting to understand why I get the replies to new ideas that I do. Although I did search for suggestions that matched mine, I didn't find any. I know all too well that searching does not always find what you are looking for though.

Well my suggestion jar of goodies has been closed. I'll enjoy implementing the creative ways of doing things this site affords a premium member and zip my lip. Oh and I now have a pretty little page started with all my searches configured on my own domain.

Thanks for suggestions and comments everyone. :waves:

Edited by luxuryoils