Setiathome

I am wondering who on this forum is resigtered and contributing to the SETI search and may not be aware that we can pool our credits in a team. From my search of the teams, as far as I can see, Teasel is the only UK member and is subscribed to the "Geocachers of the World Unite" which was founded by Mark the Cat. http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/team_display.php?teamid=31434

Why do not more us us join? Or is there another team of which I am not aware?

Edited by John Stead

I did SAH for many a year with team OcUK

I still have 3 PCs running 24/7 but doing "Cancer Research"

If anyone wants the info you can find it here:

Cancer Research

I stopped looking for little green men some time back when I thought the use of my computer could be put to better use.

Bob

Edited by bobuk

Recently started running it again, within the last month. I only have 170 WUs completed so far, it seems the newer client does a lot more work on each and takes nearly day's worth of CPU time to complete.

Joined up now, will show up when a unit completes I think :lol:

Edited by Fangsy
I stopped looking for little green men some time back when I thought the use of my computer could be put to better use.

Anyone who, like me, feels a social responsibility to help biologists fold their proteins, but who is also enticed by the "what if..." possibilities of SETI can now do both, and more, by installing BOINC.

It basically lets you divvy up your CPU between lots of projects, including climate prediction, designing particle accelerators, looking for pulsars, rendering computer animations, etc, etc... as well as the good old stalwarts of trying to cure cancer or find ET.

Why do not more us us join? Or is there another team of which I am not aware?

There are actually a lot more people in the team, but many of them haven't yet migrated their client software across to BOINC. You can see the "Seti Classic" members of Geocachers of the World Unite here.

Why do not more us us join?  Or is there another team of which I am not aware?

There are actually a lot more people in the team, but many of them haven't yet migrated their client software across to BOINC. You can see the "Seti Classic" members of Geocachers of the World Unite here.

Thanks Ian - I thought there must be more and now see why they did not show when I looked.

I thought we had to migrate to BOINC and hope others do so that they can share their time with others than SETI.

I dont do any of the above cause i save electricity by turning my computer off.

Wonder if there's a parameter in the climate model to account for all the extra oil burned by millions of computers trying to predict the climate? :D

Which is not inconsiderable, to run a single computer full time to just do DC work adds about £50 to your electricity bill, then there is the heat output, at one time I had about 8 computers in my office, which meant that in the winter I never had to heat the place, but in the summer the heat in there was stiffling, and required an air-conditioning unit in order to bring it to a bearable temperature...