Question for experienced cachemakers...

New England n00b

Most people will tell you to find at least 10 first and I didn't agree with that at first....I hid my first cache after only finding five and now looking back it was pretty lame. Bad container, items, hide, etc. The SPOT where I hid it is great (scenic overlook in a Redwood State Park, but the hide could have been so much better.

I went back to upgrade it this weekend and found out that it's gone icon_frown.gif

I'll be re-hiding a new one in a day or so near the original and it will be much better.

So now that I've rambled. I'd say 10 is a good number if you've mixed up what you've found (i.e. not all 1/1's, etc.)

Good luck on your first hide.

Found my first then hid my first. Looking back it was a good spot then and it's still a good one now. The only reason it was archived was I moved.

I don't think there is any magic qualification. I still hide lame caches, but I do it for kicks which is the only real reason anyone hides a cache anyway.

Bottom line. If you want to hide a cache hide a cache. You will find that most people think like Kealia on this question though.

I have 60 or so finds and 10 caches that I have placed. I try and put them in a unique place. As far as placing micro caches, I could have put 10 out tonight as I was riding around but I would rather think them out a little and place them in a spot that would be different, other than just sticking one somewhere just to do it.

As far as regular caches I tend to use ammo boxes and try and stock them with usefull new stuff. I now find myself thinking of unique ways or places to hide now and am getting more particular I guess. Of course the downside to that is a few people have beat me to placing some in areas I was going to do. LoL!

When I first started I wanted to hide as many as I could and not take the time to think them out.And soon you lose interest and neglect them. But if you spend a good amount of time deciding where and what container you will enjoy the hide that much more.

"There are 3 choices: you can either give up, give in, or give it your all!"

--Anonymous

Thanks everybody.

I think I'll take Kealia's advice and find at least 10 of mixed difficulty.

I've got all sorts of ideas that I'm 'borrowing' from the forums icon_wink.gif but nothing beats being in the woods... especially when you work 3rd shift and you feel like a vampire. It's just one more excuse to check out the local trails I never knew existed.

As an aside, I'm only planning on one hide so I can keep it updated properly. I know me - if I bite off more than I can chew I'll end up neglecting it all.

Thanks again for your replies everyone...

As soon as I get comfortable with it I'll post it in here (unless that's bad form...?)

---------------------

16x16_smiley-mad.gif Don't hurt me. I'm new here.

I placed my first cache after only 1 find. 56 hides later it's still one of my best.

Probably the only thing I learned after more finds, was that I did't have to put so much thought into the cache location, container and contents. But if you think finding other caches will give you a better idea of what you like and dislike in caches, then go ahead and find a dozen or so first.

Like RK, I sometimes hide lame caches on purpose, simply because a lot of people like them. The lamer my cache, the more hits it gets. Go figure.

The keys to a good cache are:

#1 Location. Place it in an area of scenic, or historic interest. If the area is a high traffic one, consider making it a micro, or placing the first stage of a multi there (in a micro container) and the actual cache away from the crowds.

#2 Hiding spot. Hide it away from high traffic areas. Make sure it's hidden well enough that a passerby won't accidently find it, but obvious enough that a geocacher won't tear up the area around the cache while searching.

#3 Container. Nobody likes finding waterlogged caches half filled with slimy green water. The best container (and one of the cheapest) is an ammo box. If you can, use one. A distant second are the Rubbermaid Serve-n-Savers (with the blue rim). Real Tupperware (not dollar store knockoffs) is good, but expensive. Lock-n-lock containers are also OK as long as the locking tabs don't come off. Avoid Gladware, Chinese food/deli containers and cheap dollar store plastic containers. Also use new containers. Avoid any continer that has EVER held food, lest it draw unwanted attention from the forest creatures.

#4 Contents. Though most veteran geocachers don't bother with trades, stock your cache with some decent stuff. You don't have to spend a fortune. $15-$20 should do. Leave some items for the kiddies (new Matchbox cars are only a buck) and some for the adults (check hardware stores, office supply stores and sporting goods stores).

#5 Maintenance. Be ready to respond if someone reports a problem with the cache. Also, it's a fact of life that the contents degrade over time. All the nice stuff that you thoughtfully placed in the cache, turns into broken McToys and other assorted garbage after about 10 finds. You'll need to re-stock your cache periodically and remove the garbage (and you will be pretty surprised at what kind of crap people will leave).

Some other tips:

- Place the log in its own Ziploc bag

- Place trade items, esp. those that will be ruined by water, in Ziplocs

- If possible camoflage your container. Some strategically placed squirts of flat brown, black and green spraypaint work wonders on an ammo box. Camo tape is great for other containers.

- Have contact info somewhere on, or inside your cache. The more the better, but at minimum your e-mail address.

- Mark the outside of the container with the URL of this website. Many people also add "Geocache Do Not Move" on the outside of the container.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on September 15, 2003 at 05:38 AM.]

I found my first with the Bryno on 4.24.02.. On 4.25.02 we hid one on top of a small mountain, but we had an ammo can and we knew that was good. On 6.24.02 the bryno and I hid two more. One is fine, one got wet and moldy. I disabled and removed it until I can go back with new one and find a better spot. Those trails grew over with briars, no one goes there much. The next day I hid my first favorite hide and it's in a large gallon Rubbermaid jar with screw on lid and it withstood the elements of a severe snowfall winter and the horribly rainy summer we've had, very well. The jar is very well camouflaged. I have another camouflaged hide that I think is scaring people away so I'll put the hint here, and let 'em find it! It looks like this:

camocont.JPG

Planet

I hid my two when the guilt of always finding and not hiding got to be too much.

I am not terribly happy on where I put them, but at least I did put two out. One I thought was clever bcause it used its paintjob for concealment. It is not bured under a pile of rock or stick. Not exactly.

Now I am looking for a worthy place to put a cache.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

I think Briansnat's post about sums it up except for one part. The containers can be made of other nontraditional items as long as they meet the criteria. One of my favorites is Method to my Madness. Since a few local cachers lurk in here I will not divulge the exact nature of the container except by email, but let's just say it surprises the finders. Just read their comments!

In fact it may inspire another similer style hide, perhaps even a multi.... icon_wink.gificon_eek.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

quote:
The containers can be made of other nontraditional items as long as they meet the criteria.

I didn't mean to rule out non traditional containers. Anything goes, but please make sure its durable and has a good, waterproof seal.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by New England n00b:

At what point in your 'career' did you decide that you had enough experience to create a cache?

I would follow the 10 rule and to be honest with you, I would find about 15 if the ones you find are not the type you want to hide. The trick to hiding them is to make them appropriately easy for the theme and intent of the cache, yet not so easy that they get found by non cachers or people who plunder.

"Half this game is ninety percent mental." Danny Ozark

many hits does not equal a good cache. Look for caches that have logs which inspired people to write a lot. These are that caches that people will remember, ones that inspried thought or proved to be a good adventure.

Just what I don't want to see on my caches would be 100 finds all logged as TNLN, thanks for the cache.

I did about 10 caches before my first one was placed. It was an easy one for me to do and it's a decent one for a while.

I have some great areas lined up for a multi-cache I'm working. But my problem right now is finding good urban location to hide caches. I just went driving around and looking at some spots that would be great where there is no other caches around. First stop, there was bums living across the street, so it was out. 2nd stop there was a dead dog in a plastic bad with it's head sticking out and flies swarming, kind of a turn off, plus the bums were still nearby. 3rd stop, cool old bridge. So i climb down the hill and I'm looking at all of the possibilities, looking up the spans wondering how hard I should make it not wanting to kill anyone. Then all of a sudden way up at the top I see a leg dangling, someone was all the way up under the bridge, a 100' off the ground. I left and gave up for the day. Finding cool spots is harder than it seems!

I have acquired some great cache supplies today and have been brainstorming some great ways to hide them, trying to be creative as possible. I'm sure I'll do a bunch of easy micro's too though icon_biggrin.gif

Firehouse16 & Code3

"Dave, Teresa & the 2 kids"