Magnets

djhobby

Try an engraver or a sharp awl then paint the entire magnet white, when it dries sand off the paint and the remaining paint will be left in the deep scratches and will be less likely to rub off. If you are really frugal (and have some spare time) go to a CPU repair store and ask for the damaged hard drives and tear them apart, they have some very nice RE magnets inside, just soak them in nail polish remover overnight to get the mounting bracket off.

Don't heat rare earth mags either, as this can cause them to lose much of their power. You'd be better off using small stickers for the lettering than trying to stamp or engrave these *very* brittle magnets. Just give them a final coat in clear ceramic sealer after the lettering.

If you are really frugal (and have some spare time) go to a CPU repair store and ask for the damaged hard drives and tear them apart, they have some very nice RE magnets inside, just soak them in nail polish remover overnight to get the mounting bracket off.

Finally I know how to get those magnets off their brackets! Thank you thank you thank you. I tried finding info on how to do that and all I found was boil them in hot water. *sarcasm* Boy that worked well. /sarcasm

Haven't tried it on RE magnets myself, but in reading this thread it occurred to me that maybe permanent ink might color them.

I use permanent solvent ink pads by Staz-On for my rubber stamping on plastic, wood, rocks, and paper, and it is pretty impressive stuff.

"For every surface; designed especially for use on plastic, metal, glass, ceramic, paper, & leather (not recommended for fabric)".

It dries in 3-5 minutes. They have a few colors - black, brown, dark green, blue, purple, red, orange, yellow.

Found in arts & craft stores as well as craft depts of some superstores.

I think you could dab the ink on the whole magnet to color it solid, or use rubber stamp letters/numbers to put coordinates on it if the magnet isn't too tiny.

Anybody else ever try attaching RE magents to a cache with JB Weld?

It's interesting, since there are metal shavings in the JB Weld.

Yes, I've done it, and to my surprise the magnet sunk down into the JB Weld and then the JB Weld worked it's way over the magnet. It was like watching something alive attacking that magnet. I didn't understand why it happened, but it sorta makes sense if the epoxy has metal in suspension.

~erik~

I have an idea for a cache and was wondering if rare earth magnets can be painted or stamped with letters? Preferbly both. Has anyone done this? Also where is a good place to buy some magnets?

How about "Industrial" Sharpie markers? Those things are resistant to extreme heat, chemicals and such. And the usually write on anything.

Anybody else ever try attaching RE magents to a cache with JB Weld?

It's interesting, since there are metal shavings in the JB Weld.

no, but I used it to attach one to the flag on my mailbox. It stayed on for about a week.

I am told JB Weld is great stuff, but I wasn't impressed by this application. Then again nothing seems to make these magnets stick to the plastic flag.

I have an idea for a cache and was wondering if  rare earth magnets can be painted or stamped with letters?  Preferbly both. 

If all you're using it for is writing on, then why bother with a rare earth magnet? Use a cheaper ceramic magnet available at any hobby store or Walmart. Rare eath magnets are super strong to hold a decent weight, but it doesn't sound like that's what you're doing. Actually, the best thing might be to use the photo-backer magnetic sheets. Just write on a piece of paper, laminate it and stick it to the magnetic sheet. Thin enough to be hidden almost anywhere.

Having used and sold quite a few rare earth magnets, I can attest that painting them won't harm them. Writing on them with a Sharpie marker is a good way of putting identifying marks on them. They're pretty durable - at least the ones with coatings on them are - and good ones will stand up to quite a bit of abuse.

They are quite strong - I ultimately switched to selling a smaller magnet to put in my micro's as the larger ones pulled out the glue (RV Goop) that I used and initially recommended.

Just write on a piece of paper, laminate it and stick it to the magnetic sheet.  Thin enough to be hidden almost anywhere.

I much cheaper source of magnetic sheets are the floor vent covers you can find at most hardware shops.

460613.gif

ow! yer stealing my idea! :laughing:

check this link

http://www.dickblick.com/zz289/21/

about the cheapest magnetic sheet stock I have been able to find

cc\

Edited by CompuCash
Just write on a piece of paper, laminate it and stick it to the magnetic sheet. Thin enough to be hidden almost anywhere.

I much cheaper source of magnetic sheets are the floor vent covers you can find at most hardware shops.

460613.gif

ow! yer stealing my idea! :)

check this link

http://www.dickblick.com/zz289/21/

about the cheapest magnetic sheet stock I have been able to find

cc\

That's only a few tenths of a cent cheaper per square inch, than the vent covers. And once you include their shipping costs, which are more than the cost of the item itself, you're far better off just going to your neighborhood hardware store.

Edited by Prime Suspect

For some reason, cow magnets disgust me more than just about anything.

A lot of people don't know this but they can be used a stud finders in commercial construction. A lot of carpenters i showed didn't believe me at first. Afterwards though- everyone wants one!

Huh. It was my post, but I had to reread the thread to remember what a 'cow magnet' was. Since it's been a few years since I made that post, I don't feel bad.

:)

Edited by sbell111