MapSource Mapping software for Garmin GPSs

Lothar69

Does anyone know where one can obtain the MapSource CDs for the Garmin GPS units as cheap as possible?

Just recently got an Etrex-Legend. Took it along on our family vacation to Yellowstone just to try and get familiar with it (hadn't quite figured out how to enter coordinates for caches yet so I couldn't search for any). Discovered the potential of the mapping software when I nearly ran out of gas in Nowhere, Wyoming. The software seems a little cost prohibitive. I've seen it for as little as $99 I think. Seems pretty high.

I also have Microsoft Streets and Trips on my home PC. Will the Legend interract with that program at all? Exchange maps or upload and download coordinates?

You'll need Mapsource to download maps to your Legend. $99 is about what I've seen it for, but perhaps you can get it for less on E-Bay. I have the MS Topo and find it to be well worth the $99 my wife paid for it (it was an anniversary give...nice wife).

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

That price is about as cheap as it gets, unless you are lucky enough to find someone willing to give it to you, or sell you a used CD. It's one of the most expensive pieces of software that I own, and I think it's well worth it. Having it has helped me out of some jams in the past couple of years.

I prefer Streets and Trips for driving, I use it on the laptop. Your GPS will show your location on Streets and Trips, but you can't upload any maps from it. You gotta use a MapSource product for uploading maps.

Lone Duck

The Quack Cacher

http://www.netwalk.com/~jporter/BackPage.htm

I was recently informed that a program called GPS Babel can convert your .loc or .gpx files to a format which will be recognized by Streets and Trips. Wal Mart online has Mapsource TOPO for less than 90 dollars. It's an old version, but the update to 5.0 is free on the Garmin site.

96920_1100.jpg

"Chock full of essential vitamins and waypoints"

quote:
Originally posted by BloenCustoms:

Wal Mart online has Mapsource TOPO for less than 90 dollars. It's an old version, but the update to 5.0 is free on the Garmin site.

That update is only for the MapSource interface program, not the TOPO map data.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

I am a proud owner of a Garmin eTrex Vista. I will soon be looking into the purchase of one of the MapSource products, but I am not quite sure which to get. My debate is between the Roads & Recreation or the MetroGuide. Any suggestions?

Along with being a geocacher (albeit new), I am a hiker and a biker (bicycle).

Let me know... Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

quote:
Originally posted by BloenCustoms:

Wal Mart online has Mapsource TOPO for less than 90 dollars. It's an old version, but the update to 5.0 is free on the Garmin site.

That update is only for the MapSource interface program, not the TOPO map data.

_

As far as I know, there hasn't been any updates to the Map data. At least since 3.0 and there probably won't be for a while. That is according to what I was told by Garmin.

On the other hand, you have different fingers.

15777_2200.gif

I also have an eTrex Vista and I use the Roads and Recreation version of MapSource. I've found that it's not very accurate on some pretty established roads, and surprisingly has a few very new roads shown. It's very frustrating that it's not more accurate than it is. My brother caches with the MetroGuide version and seems happy with it.

Roads and Recreation shows a LOT of creeks and rivers, which I'm sure it useful for some and therefore one of the major features of that version, but to me they get in the way of the roads. I'm wishing I had chosen MetroGuide instead, but I was counting on Roads and Recreation to include a lot of parks and trails and was disappointed that it lacked in those too.

----------------------------------------------------------------

"A noble spirit embiggins the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield

----------------------------------------------------------------

The biggest difference I noticed with 5.0 is the improved search feature. I think I remember reading that the map data is derived from USGS topo maps, which aren't updated too frequently, particularly ones in remote areas with little development or geology changes.

And yes, I know that the update is only for the interface. icon_biggrin.gif

96920_1100.jpg

"Chock full of essential vitamins and waypoints"

quote:
Originally posted by BrownMule:

As far as I know, there hasn't been any updates to the Map data. At least since 3.0 and there probably won't be for a while. That is according to what I was told by Garmin.

I'm only familiar with MapSource TOPO but, from all that I can gather, Mapsource TOPO V5.0 (data version 2.00) is the most recent and up to date flavor available. The version 2.00 data dates clear back to 1999 when MapSource TOPO was in the v2.x (software) versions. The data hasn't been updated since then so if you are after MapSource topo, there shouldn't be a problem with nabbing an older version.