Northwest Airlines

dkwolf

Due to a series of airline mishaps (have serious doubts about flying anywhere after Thursday) I found myself on a Northwest flight out of Des Moines, IA (originally scheduled on Delta, but that's another story) After our brief flight from Des Moines to Minneapolis, we took off again and headed for Richmond. 'Bout halfway there, I decided to flag down the stewardess and ask her if I could turn on my GPSr. She, of course, had no idea what I was talking about, so she said she'd ask the captain and inquired what I wanted to use it for. I just told her so I could see where we were in the flight. So, she walks up front, opens the cockpit door (I thought that was a no-no post 9/11??) and comes back about 5 minutes later with a sheet of paper and hands it to me. The captain had written out the coordinates of the airplane at that moment and sent them back. I took this as a subtle way of saying don't turn it on, but I'm not sure if I should take it as the pilot having a sense of humor or being a jerk.... Anywho, it would appear that Northwest (or at least Northwest flights operated by Pinnacle) are GPS-unfriendly. Shucks.

Uh....what the F did you ask for?

"May I turn on my laptop?"

"May I listen to my MP3 player?"

"May I recline my seat?"

"May I flush my crap down the toilet?"

Just turn it on when all the other electronics are allowed, if they have a problem with it, they will tell you. They love to tell you things.

Sheesh

I agree with Criminal - dont ask just use it, and if they tell you to turn it off just play dumb and do what they say. 95% of stewardesses will probably think it something else anwyay.

i'm taking the train to california in july, and am looking forward to following its progress with my unit!

"May I recline my seat?"

Just turn it on when all the other electronics are allowed, if they have a problem with it, they will tell you.  They love to tell you things.

Sheesh

My sentiments exactly.

GPSrs don't transmit data, therefore they should be no different than any other electronic equiptment. I've seen people have their fones on in-flight, playing games, and what not, and I thought that was a total no-no.

Don't ask, and play dumb if confronted.

Edited by Marcie/Eric

I've seen people have their fones on in-flight, playing games, and what not, and I thought that was a total no-no.

It's tough to tell in the case of fones--Most modern fones have a mode where games and other features can be accessed without the fone transceiver actually being on.

GeoForse

The captain had written out the coordinates of the airplane at that moment and sent them back. I took this as a subtle way of saying don't turn it on, but I'm not sure if I should take it as the pilot having a sense of humor or being a jerk....

I take it as a flight attendant who didn't understand what she was supposed to be asking. All the Captain likely understood from her request was "GPS" and "where the plane is" so he wrote the coordinates down, probably shaking his head the whole time wondering "why would anyone want our GPS coordinates?".

I've flown several times with my GPS. The inflight magazine for one airline (don't remember which one) specifically stated that GPS use was forbidden. Unless I see such a written prohibition, my practice is to turn it on (after use of electronics is OKd) and make no effort to hide it. If a crew member asks me to turn it off, I will, but that never has happened. Remember that the captain can overrule the airline's rules about such things, and that arguing with a flight crew member can have consequences. So, if the flight attended says turn it off, I would turn it off (and don't try to be sneaky and hide it behind a blanket or something)

"May I recline my seat?"

Just turn it on when all the other electronics are allowed, if they have a problem with it, they will tell you.  They love to tell you things.

Sheesh

My sentiments exactly.

GPSrs don't transmit data, therefore they should be no different than any other electronic equiptment. I've seen people have their fones on in-flight, playing games, and what not, and I thought that was a total no-no.

Don't ask, and play dumb if confronted.

Playing games? Why? Fones..........gets you in deep deep eyeball deep wish you could breathe thru your ears du-du.

http://gpsinformation.net/airgps/airgps.htm

This list says OK and even shows an entry in the rulebook. Maybe it changed or the pilot did not know.

"The Airlines which OFFICIALLY APPROVE the use of GPS receivers during CRUISE

This actually means pilot discretion in all cases."

It is at the pilots discretion, in other word if the pilot says no then it is no, and passengers wonder why they are treated like children.

Having said that I agree with Criminal.

I have often used my GPSr on trans continental flights and when the attandant asks what it is I tell them and usually get MMM that's nice: as an answer.

There has only been one case where the pilot specified that GPSrs were not allowed to be used and that was on a Alaska flight from Vancouver to L.A.

The captain had written out the coordinates of the airplane at that moment and sent them back.  I took this as a subtle way of saying don't turn it on, but I'm not sure if I should take it as the pilot having a sense of humor or being a jerk....

I take it as a flight attendant who didn't understand what she was supposed to be asking. All the Captain likely understood from her request was "GPS" and "where the plane is" so he wrote the coordinates down, probably shaking his head the whole time wondering "why would anyone want our GPS coordinates?".

I agree.

We fly anywhere from 1-3 times a year, using differant airlines, and have used our gps on board for the last 4 years. Never had a bit of a problem, no matter what the airline.

...The captain had written out the coordinates of the airplane at that moment and sent them back.  I took this as a subtle way of saying don't turn it on, but I'm not sure if I should take it as the pilot having a sense of humor or being a jerk....

Actually, I would have considered the captain's reply as an attempt at humor and would have immediately turned on my unit.

But then again, I wouldn't have asked. :P:P

I've seen people have their fones on in-flight, playing games, and what not, and I thought that was a total no-no.

It's tough to tell in the case of fones--Most modern fones have a mode where games and other features can be accessed without the fone transceiver actually being on.

GeoForse

Cell phones (sans the transmitter deactivation feature) would be a bigger issue because they have the inadvertent potential to transmit energy on frequencies and harmonics which may interfere with the planes' instruments (although there is a very small chance of this happening). Also, the stewardess doesn't always know if your phone's transmitter has been disabled. Considering the unlikelihood of the any interference from phones, a GPSr has considerably less of a chance of creating any problems as it is a passive device and is not designed to transmit anything.

(Incidentally, people aren't supposed to use cell phones at gas pumps, however, I could have taken thousands of pictures - with my photo-phone, of course - of people talking on their cell phone while they were pumping gas and/or smoking a cigarette. I always move on to the next island when I see them.)

A laptop is more likely to transmit harmful radio frequency energy (auto-attempting wifi connection, hard drive emmissions, etc.) than a GPSr. You never see anyone concerned about a laptop unless your taking off or landing and that is only because it is a missile hazzard.

I wouldn't hesitate to use a GPSr anywhere you would use a gameboy.

... (Incidentally, people aren't supposed to use cell phones at gas pumps, however, I could have taken thousands of pictures - with my photo-phone, of course - of people talking on their cell phone while they were pumping gas ...

This is a myth. It has been proven that a properly operating cel phone cannot ignite gas at a pump. Static electricity from getting in and out of your car is much more likely to set the pump ablaze.

... (Incidentally, people aren't supposed to use cell phones at gas pumps, however, I could have taken thousands of pictures - with my photo-phone, of course - of people talking on their cell phone while they were pumping gas ...

This is a myth. It has been proven that a properly operating cel phone cannot ignite gas at a pump. Static electricity from getting in and out of your car is much more likely to set the pump ablaze.

The fact that you said "much more likely" indicates you believe it is still possible, even if the liklihood is very remote. :P

Edited by tabulator32

It can happen. That's why they stick those little signs all over the place at the gas station.

They have warnings on soup cans that tell people to make sure they open the can before heating.

I'm not saying it happens often. But it CAN happen.

We're not arguing. We're just contributing to the thread.

Its ok, man. Breathe.

It can happen. That's why they stick those little signs all over the place at the gas station.

Dunno about this. This was an episode of "Mythbusters" a few months ago, and they had to REALLY try hard to generate a spark that would ignite gas fumes. They weren't able to generate a spark with a cell phone, either. At one point, they interviewed a guy from whatever government agency mandates those signs at the gas pumps, and he basically said the whole thing was an urban myth.

Peace,

TeamRJJO

You passed on the googling, didn't you?

Holy Carp, Batman!

That one little article you found changed my whole outlook on life!

That was phenomenal! I mean...it was RIGHT THERE on the internet, and if its on the internet, it HAS to be true.

Incidentally, if I was emphasizing the fact that it is an EXTREMELY rare occurence (which it is), you would probably counter by finding one of the websites that have examples of major cell-phone related barbeques as "proof" and continue insinuating that I'm an idiot.

Cool yer heels, fella.

The fact is...cell phones emit radio frequency energy and any form of energy has the potential to transfer into heat and cause some type of adverse chemical or physical reaction. Its just plain physics. Take a microwave oven, for example. Sure, it can be a hundred times as powerful. The principal is the same.

Its against the law to pour gas into unathorized containers and it is against the law to smoke at the pump. It is against the law to run your car at the pump while fueling. All of these can cause a major explosion, although it is EXTREMELY unlikely, it is still a rule.

Are you getting all this? If you are telling me its IMPOSSIBLE to ignite a fuel fire with a cell phone, you are wrong. I KNOW it doesn't happen every day. But it can happen.

Anyway, Happy Caching!

:lol:

If you are telling me its IMPOSSIBLE to ignite a fuel fire with a cell phone, you are wrong.

Well, not to add fuel to the fire (HA!), but....

there are numerous sources debunking this as an urban myth:

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/c/cellgas.htm

http://www.wired.com/news/wireless/0,1382,58188,00.html

If you want to hear it straight from the mouth of those who care most, here's an actual quote from the Petroleum Equipment Institute:

"Cell phones do not cause these [gas pump] fires. - - [The] PEI has investigated hundreds of refueling fires that appear to be the result of static electrical discharge. None of these incidents were related to a cell phone."

http://www.pei.org/static/index.htm

So, yes, it's impossible. Even the Mythbusters agree! :lol:

..Chris..

If static discharges can ignite a fuel fire (and there are plenty of documented cases of such) then a cell phone transmitter can spark a fuel fire.

Its not a statistical thing. Its not how many hits on google there are for each type of web site...pro or con.

Its physics. Ya know...SCIENCE.

Its possible.

It can happen.

Ya can deny it, but ya would jus' be WRONG!

The fact that you said "much more likely" indicates you believe it is still possible, even if the liklihood is very remote. :lol:

I personally believe that the reason they tell you to turn off your cell phone is that the emitted frequencies might mess with the measuring mechanisms and you might get charged less for the gas than if you weren't using your cell phone. Conversely you might get charged more but then I can't see "them" warning you about that now... Can you ?

I personally believe that the reason they tell you to turn off your cell phone is that the emitted frequencies might mess with the measuring mechanisms and you might get charged less for the gas than if you weren't using your cell phone. Conversely you might get charged more but then I can't see "them" warning you about that now... Can you ?

I think that is about as unlikely as starting a fuel fire with your cell phone...(BUT NOT IMPOSSIBLE)

;):mad::lol::lol::lol:

:mad:

Ouch - I feel my own "off topic" light starting to blink, so this'll be my last contribution. But, the "is it possible" argument is a wacky reason to ban cell phones at the gas pumps. My doubt isn't that 5 watts is possible to create a spark - it's just that it does not. Of course, current cell phones don't use 5 watts - the digital phones of today's networks use much less power. But even the 5 watters simply don't spark, and simply don't set off gas explosions.

OK, I'm going to stop going off topic now, I promise. Now returning you to your "Northwest Airlines" programming....

..Chris..

Ouch - I feel my own "off topic" light starting to blink, so this'll be my last contribution. But, the "is it possible" argument is a wacky reason to ban cell phones at the gas pumps. My doubt isn't that 5 watts is possible to create a spark - it's just that it does not. Of course, current cell phones don't use 5 watts - the digital phones of today's networks use much less power. But even the 5 watters simply don't spark, and simply don't set off gas explosions.

OK, I'm going to stop going off topic now, I promise. Now returning you to your "Northwest Airlines" programming....

..Chris..

Oh, hey! I AGREE with you.

I don't think it warrants banning cell phones at the fuel pumps, either!

I'm not trying to propose laws here. I was just discussing the physics.

Your post ALSO reminds me that I was well off-topic and I apologize.

I'll shut up now.

Are you getting all this?  If you are telling me its IMPOSSIBLE to ignite a fuel fire with a cell phone, you are wrong.  I KNOW it doesn't happen every day.

But it can happen.

To quote on of my physics professors back in my college days:

¨Yeah, I suppose it could happen.

But then again, all of the air molecules in this room could randomly migrate to one corner of the room, causing us all to suffocate.¨

Hey, shouldn´t it be illegal to be alive while pumping gas? I mean, couldn´t the electricity in your brain cause some sort of electromagnetic field that could potentially cause some radiation that could potentially cause a hot spot on your tin foil hat that could potentially cause the fuel vapors to ignite?

Oh, and, by the way, my truck doesn´t need to be shut off to refuel. No spark plugs :lol:

I'll shut up now.

Just a moment too soon. I'm not trying to pile on, but your arguments are a good example of how science can be misapplied to a situation to produce a very wrong result. You seem to feel that enough power can start a file regardless of the form of that power. Well, your body is producing a lot more than 5 Watts and I have never seen a credible report of spontaneous human combustion.

I don't agree that it is even remotely possible to ignite gasoline vapors while using a properly working cell phone in a normal manner. I seem to recall the Myth Busters conclusion that it is not possible to ignite the gasoline vapors unless the phone malfunctions. So if you take malfunctions into account, then yes it *is* possible, just not from the RF, rather from a direct spark. But I don't think that is what we are talking about. BTW, there was a spate of counterfeit batteries causing problems with cell phones including fires. I think vendors are being a bit more careful about their batteries these days.

I was on American Airlines recently on a trip that put me on 4 different AA planes. I periodically checked GPS on my iQue M5, which is also my PDA and MP3 player. On the last flight, a flight attendant spotted me and asked what it was. "A GPS" I told her. She said, "You'll have to turn it off." I replied, this one only receives - It cannot transmit anything." The logic of this was of no interest to her. She stated that GPS's are listed in the Inflight Magazine as banned on flights. Of course, I promptly apologized and let her know I would turn it off. In retrospect (and trying to find some logic in it), I suppose that there is a slight terrorist rocket attack risk that could be supported with GPS coordinates, but I don't have a good understanding of such things.

We recently flew to Las Vegas and back. I can't believe I didn't think to turn the GPS on to see where we were. Especially when I was wondering if we would be able to see the Grand Canyon. banghead.gif

EDIT: Although, just now reading the previous post, we were on an American Airlines flight, so maybe I wouldn't even have been able to do it. Still...I would have tried. :D

Edited by Pipanella
tossedsalad,

What part of "off topic" was not clear to you?

Hey Keystone,

I think tossedsalad just responded to a post without reading the thread to the end. I composed an off topic post to the first cellphone/gas station message and only saw your first request when I scrolled down to hit the "Preview Post" button. It was a shame I didn't post the message, because it was really good.

Lesson learned. Read the entire thread before posting.

That is why I issued a second warning here in the thread, JohnX, rather than doing something mean like suspending tossedsalad's posting abilities.

If everyone could please return your seat backs and tray tables to their full upright and locked positions, we can proceed with our regularly scheduled flight.

... I periodically checked GPS on my iQue M5, which is also my PDA and MP3 player. ... a flight attendant spotted me and asked what it was. "A GPS" I told her. She said, "You'll have to turn it off." ...

The funny thing is that pdas are allowed. If you had said that it was a pda, she would have probably had no problem with it.

Interesting.

Pda's 'broadcast' in four ways; IR, bluetooth, and cellular, and wifi. I can't imagine IR being an issue, and the other three are already verboten. The only real issue here is how many people actually disobey the airlines instructions. Certainly, if you and I were both on a flight with our pdas, we could communicate via bluetooth and the FA would never know. I don't think anyone in this thread is advocating willfully disobeying the instructions of the FA or airline, however.