Ever Wanted A Free El Diablo Hiking Staff?

Post your best picture taken while caching. The winner will win a free hiking staff created and customized by me. The contest will run for 3 weeks. The winner will be decided by the caching community.

The rules are that you must have taken the picture while caching, which means you need to be able to link it to the cache you were hunting at the time. Only one picture per entry, so make it a good one. If you submit more than one you will be disqualified. The rest of the rules I'll make up as we go along.

Anyone in the world is eligible.

Pictures containing a great scene, wildlife, cute kids, and pretty women will probably be a plus.

Good luck!!

El Diablo

Edited by El Diablo

Oh goodie. I'll have to start sorting through all my many Geocaching pictures to see which one to enter.

Before this gets underway, may I also suggest that people resize the pictures before posting them to the thread.

My really slow dial-up connection gets completely bogged down when people post large images.

TIA. :yikes:

a2f2c123-52ea-4510-ba63-c18b1a1b1dad.jpg

This is my old staff, after a lost battle. I was on a geocache, and saw a large branch that had fallen out of a tree, but was still suspended over the hiking trail. I decided to knock it down with my hiking staff in order to prevent any accidents to any other hikers. After the third whack, it did fall, but my staff had split down the middle as well.

I would dearly love to replace this staff with one of yours.

Pictures containing a great scene, wildlife, cute kids, and pretty women will probably be a plus.

Good luck!!

El Diablo

729ad7eb-2213-4701-9d2c-d2f7b2b2eeaf.jpg

Pretty woman and cute kid that I get to cache with!

Oh, this picture was from May 5, 2004 at Busha's Snot Locker- our first Indiana FTF!

Edited by Team Tecmage
Basically they are crap...but hey it's free! :yikes: 

BTW...I no longer sell them.

El Diablo

lol

At least you're humble... :P

I thougth about buying a staff a couple of times. I looked at some bamboo ones that are made from some very hard varieties of bamboo. But so far I just use branches that I find on the trail. I guess taking them with me is not in the spriit of "Leave no Trace". Maybe I should pick a favorite and keep it.

Here's Mini-I Ladybug of the Ladybug Kids holding Hot Pink Monkey's Fist. Getting to this cache required solving a puzzle, then detouring 80-90 miles roundtrip during a 360 mile drive from Anchorage to Fairbanks to cover the three miles from the Port of Anchorage to the cache, and getting caught in a blizzard while driving through Broad Pass.

c278b6fb-69d2-4a3c-8413-9aa7fad97f1b.jpg

Any questions as to why this CUTE KID liked the name of the cache and wanted to find it so badly???

Post your best picture taken while caching. The winner will win a free hiking staff created and customized by me. The contest will run for 3 weeks. The winner will be decided by the caching community.

The rules are that you must have taken the picture while caching, which means you need to be able to link it to the cache you were hunting at the time. Only one picture per entry, so make it a good one. If you submit more than one you will be disqualified. The rest of the rules I'll make up as we go along.

Anyone in the world is eligible.

Good luck!!

El Diablo

Can the pic be one taken while placing or maintaining an owned cache?

Awsome thing to do El Diablo!! :yikes::P

My team name is The Cow Spots --- for various reasons, but one side benefit is that my son (3 years old) loves cows.

On the way back from Swamp Land in Arizona (GCEFA6) we passed a huge cattle ranch, where literally thousands of cows were mere feet from the car. I rolled down the window to get a shot of the cows peeking in to see CowSpot Jr.

38aab3d4-e847-4a80-ac9b-4a73560e480a.jpg

As I noted in my log, my favorite part of this picture is the cow towards the back who looks like he's desperately craning his neck trying to get in the shot.

I don't want to be considered in the running, since I already have a beautiful El Diablo hiking staff, as does Joani. I did want to participate in the fun though! Here is a picture from last month of Mount Shasta:

11faa46c-18af-40a5-8e19-ed54fb00b532.jpg

It was taken from the site of this virtual cache along I5, near the border of California and Oregon. Taken with a Rebel XT and a 75mm-300mm zoom lens (at 300mm). I didn't have a tripod with me which is why the picture isn't crystal clear.

--Marky

Interesting thing, this . . . one of these grand staffs made an appearance as a "Travel Bug" at the local Burlington NC Cookout & Geo-clinic on the 18th of June (yesterday). It had been signed by WE4NCS and went on it's way. El D does a nice job on these, have seen several (WE4NCS, rldill & others). Worth the effort to get one!

Basically they are crap...but hey it's free!

Free non-crap, my prize for the avatar contest two years ago (click for closeup):

44cd0a77-30b5-49e7-9cbc-773f67460350.jpg

Paid-for non-crap, my wife's gift for our 5th Anniversary (the Wood anniversary, click to see a closeup of the fine paint work):

0600d013-9fb6-4433-9f12-bdc18a7cbffa.jpg

Hey, these are pretty good shots. Can I win another staff for these pictures? :D (Never mind that El Diablo took both of these shots)

Edited by Dinoprophet

7b3b03a1-3781-4bb1-9648-1cc4e2c5f3e6.jpg

I don't think it will beat some of these others, but it's the best view I've had within 200 miles of Memphis! Taken near Lil Hawk Crag in North Central Arkansas yesterday. (Yes it was 18 June 2005, the little battery that keeps the date in my camera is dead, and I've been too lazy to replace it! :D )

Edited by Spencersb

This picture was taken to fulfill the logging requirements for Wayland 11.0 - You want me to do WHAT?!?. The requirements change with each find; the one I did had these: "Post a photo of yourself (or as much of your group as you can fit) enjoying a brisk spring day lounging in a kiddie pool, inflatable or hard plastic variety. Yes, the kiddie pool must be full of water. In the photo you'll be holding a makeshift sign reading 'Thanks, Wachusett Wolverines!'"

I waited almost a month, hoping someone else would do it, and finally decided to weasel around the rules as much as I could... nothing said that the pool actually had to be outdoors, or that the water in the pool couldn't be inside some nice smaller containers...

ea88905d-559c-4374-a942-e4773186709a.jpg

and here's the corresponding log.