Keystone, I’ve Stolen Your Avatar…

Hello.

Continuing the discussion in this thread about one’s forum persona/image (it appears that frequent avatar changes by regular posters is only mildly annoying to some and amusing to many), I would like to address the topic from a different tack.

How would you feel if someone just grabbed your avatar and started using it like it has always been theirs? Is your identity then threatened? Is there anything you can do about it?

I can’t remember the specific circumstance, but I vaguely recall an earlier instance when someone got pretty upset about this.

(Keystone, I’m sorry it had to come to this, but I’m holding your avatar for ransom. I don’t want no stinkin’ WJTBs, I want your hamster!)

:D:lol:

Edited by sept1c_tank

This is a topic worthy or the OT section or a PM or Email. It really isn't about Geocaching or Even the web site. It directed toward one person and that person is a Mod. Seems you could spend you time on something better than just trying to annoy a mod and fellow cacher.

Then again no one has ever accused you of integrity so I guess I just answered my own question.

I still believe this is better suited for Email.

Another issue is that intentional or not there are those that will see the Avatar and assume it is Keystone. Especially if they see it in another thread. This is a violation of the Terms Of Use. I direction your attention to section (:lol: Emphasis mine.

The Groundspeak Forums, accessible through the “Discuss Geocaching” link in the Site’s navigation bar as well as through other links, are governed by this Agreement and are also subject to such additional terms and conditions as Groundspeak may, from time to time, post in the Groundspeak Forums area.

You and not Groundspeak, are entirely responsible for all content that you upload, post or otherwise transmit via the Site. You agree not to:

(a) Upload, post or otherwise transmit any content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, slanderous, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, embarrassing, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable to any other person or entity.

(:D Impersonate any person or entity, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with any person or entity.

theft.jpg

Edited by LaPaglia

I think that the suggestion of a TOS violation because of the use of a cartoon image is absurd. None of us holds license to those characters. When you come right down to it, I think many folks here are guilty of copyright infringement for using any licensed characacter without the express permission of the originator.

No one gets prosecuted because in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal and no one is attempting to profit from their use.

If the 'borrowed' image was an actual photo image (like Jeremy's or JamieZ's for example) I think the TOS charge would be more serious.

Strange. I have a sudden, overwhelming urge to restrain my normally rude forum behavior while in your presence.

Edit to add: I mean Sept1c, of course, not la Paglia. The latter, curiously, nudges my inclinations in the opposite direction.

Edited by AuntieWeasel
Strange. I have a sudden, overwhelming urge to restrain my normally rude forum behavior while in your presence.

Edit to add: I mean Sept1c, of course, not la Paglia. The latter, curiously, nudges my inclinations in the opposite direction.

I, on the other hand, have the urge to start complaining about my cache that hasnt been listed yet, and flame you for locking a thread I like.

Gee, now that I see Dr. Utonium (or whatever his name is) against a white background, I realize that is a pipe he is holding. Funny, up to now, I'd always thought it was a martini.

Who knows whats IN the pipe. :lol:

The subject line asked what Keystone thought about identity theft. I have a couple of questions here and one suggestion and a comment.

1. Are you nuts?

2. Has Keystone made this an issue somewhere else on the forums?

3. What has this got to do with caching?

Suggestion: Don't post in the forums while under the influence.

Comment: Keystone is a well respected member of this community and I would suggest that you not target him in these forums for humiliation, intimidation, or in anyway try to cause him angst. It doesn't go over well with a lot us.

El Diablo

I, too, am very visual oriented. Where I can understand the request of not changing avatars as often so a person can associate a certain avatar to a person, I don't think a person should be asked to stop changing their avatars. But be aware, that it IS EASIER for people to put "a name with a face {or avatar}" if they didn't change them so much.

A few points:

Two very respected persons in the fish community I belong to have passed away. They had their avatars and they were theirs alone. The forum locked those avatars as to never be used by anyone else. It was a sign of respect. I wouldn't be able to see a newbie who didn't take fishkeeping seriously using one of their avatars.....

And, some people just need change, all the time........while others can't understand that concept because they feel more comfortable in familiar surroundings. Satisfaction comes easier for them.

This was a topic that started as a suggestion, and I have only been here a month, but I have learned that a VERY large percentage of posts here at Ground Speak get hijacked and/or flamed. That was kinda disheartening and shocking to me. I just have learned to avoid those posts. (It IS kind of unwelcoming though) So many people jot down how this is a family friendly hobby/sport, but I tell ya, these forums aren't, I don't see myself allowing my sons to read or post here.

So with that said, I am sure I'll get the typical "if you don't like it, leave" comments, and that's okay, then I know the posts of whom I'll never read again.

I don't plan on leaving anytime soon, I enjoy the caching too much, but my forom days will be limited to maybe when I need constructive advice or when I feel I can offer something concrete, or a nice joshing.

Queenie

Gosh, this post makes me sound the opposite of how I really am. I just wanted to shed some light that others may not have considered. Sorry.

Edited by Faith the Aquariaqueen

Just from my outsider's POV.. This thread and the last one have, while not directly, seemed to indicate anger, animousity, or bitterness towards the GC community, certain forum personalities, or idiosyncrasies of said community or personalities.

Maybe i've just read them wrong.

Edited by Marcie/Eric
Gee, now that I see Dr. Utonium (or whatever his name is) against a white background, I realize that is a pipe he is holding.  Funny, up to now, I'd always thought it was a martini.

Who knows whats IN the pipe. :lol:

I find this comment far more offensive than illustrating a point by imitating my avatar. Had you any *clue* what drugs have done to ruin the lives of people previously close to me, and my absolutely fanatical stance against drugs, you wouldn't have made that comment. What does it have to do with avatar theft?

In defense of the _tank, I think he's just having a little light-hearted, tongue-in-cheek fun! That's how I read it, so please don't be harsh. I thought that KA's request was calm and helpful. I kinda appreciated the joke - but I, too, think the mod's avatar might confuse newbies, and those who slept in on Saturday morning.

I think purposely copying someone else's avatar out of anything other than known temporary fun (e.g. various Cheers days, especially April Fool's Day come to mind) is rather strange. If meant in fun and not seen that way I would hope a request to change back would be honored. In the case of accidental copying, I would think a private email exchange would fix it. If I accidntally took someone else's avatar, I certainly would not continue using it once I found out.

The incident a few years ago that was referenced was a little different. The avatars were not the same but had similarities and one person got upset. I am too lazy to go search for that old angst ridden thread and see no reason for it to be dragged back up.

This is a topic worthy or the OT section or a PM or Email. It really isn't about Geocaching or Even the web site. It directed toward one person and that person is a Mod. Seems you could spend you time on something better than just trying to annoy a mod and fellow cacher.

Then again no one has ever accused you of integrity so I guess I just answered my own question.

Another issue is that intentional or not there are those that will see the Avatar and assume it is Keystone. Especially if they see it in another thread. This is a violation of the Terms Of Use. I direction your attention to section (:D Emphasis mine.

The Groundspeak Forums, accessible through the “Discuss Geocaching” link in the Site’s navigation bar as well as through other links, are governed by this Agreement and are also subject to such additional terms and conditions as Groundspeak may, from time to time, post in the Groundspeak Forums area.

You and not Groundspeak, are entirely responsible for all content that you upload, post or otherwise transmit via the Site. You agree not to:

(a) Upload, post or otherwise transmit any content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, slanderous, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, embarrassing, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable to any other person or entity.

(:lol: Impersonate any person or entity, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with any person or entity.

theft.jpg

Hey, why don't you let the moderators handle it? :D

I think it's funny for a little while. Of course I'm speaking as an avatarless one...but I don't mind some of these off-topic? "discussions?" They're amusing :lol: ...and fun for those of us with like less then a million bajillion posts...well, less than a few thousand, I guess.

Anyway, I always read the silly threads. Thanks for providing a tiny taste of the OT to those of us non-premiums...maybe it will boost the membership a little?

Get over it. There is a cacher in this area that, upon seeing me at the 1st event I went to, confused me with here ex-husband...fer real. Now, that means there is someone else out there that looks enough like me to fool someone that she was married to... I can't change my face (at least not without alot of money and/or pain), so I think its perfectly ok for several people to look alike by having the same avatar.

As a matter of fact, I think we should all change our avatars to look like professor utonium.

Hello Sept1c,

I'd appreciate it if, to avoid confusion for other community members, you'd change your avatar back sometime today, once you believe you've made your point.  Thanks.

This topic was not meant to raise anyone's ire. And it is definitely not an attempt to harass, embarass or otherwise disturb my friend, Keystone. As you can see, I didn't even steal his avatar, it's just very similiar:

f86befa1-e7ad-41a9-b1f0-f144cf8c2dec.jpg

My stolen image.

124791_600.jpg

Keystone's avatar.

This topic has to do with geocaching as much as the other topic refrenced in the OP, the one Keystone defended when someone suggested that it was inappropriate. Knowing Keystone's sense of humor, and his apparent appreciation of the other thread, I believed no real harm was being done.

The original post was designed as an example of how easy it is to become confused with changing avatars, and to point out that we seem to be a little sensitive about our own identity.

One of the great things about geocaching is our community. The community is made of parcels with which we identify. Avatars (and signature lines, as well as the obvious screen name) are our marks. Without them, we would just be unknown masses.

I am changing my avatar back to it's original. I believe my antics have made my point. Although it is really confusing now, I will leave the topic open for the angsters and moderators to sort out. :yikes::P

I think this quote from another topic (about the topic that spawned this one) pretty much sums up why this discussion is relevant:

...there are many people in the Geocaching community who regard their avatars, signature lines, etc., as part of their online persona to identify themselves to other community members. Transforming a simple game of electronic hide and seek into a worldwide online and real life community is part of the magic that makes geocaching what it is. But another part of the magic is that you can make the game whatever you want it to be for yourself, within the rules. So, if you are not interested in discussing avatars and their relationship to the forum community, just skip over that topic and don't post.

:P:yikes:

Another issue is that intentional or not there are those that will see the Avatar and assume it is Keystone. Especially if they see it in another thread. This is a violation of the Terms Of Use. I direction your attention to section (:P Emphasis mine.

(:D Impersonate any person or entity, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with any person or entity.

theft.jpg

Hey, why don't you let the moderators handle it? :yikes:

Gee I don't know, Since as a Forum Moderator you don't seem to understand the concept it doesn't seem that leaving it to the mods is such a good idea. In addition, while i am not currently a forum mod I still am a member of this community and entitled to my opinions.

It's interesting that your first reaction is to do the exact same thing that is being complained about. Just because you are ONLY a forum mod for the OT forum does not allow you the privilege of flaunting your disrespect in other forums. It is a policy of the forum mods that they be on their best behavior in ALL thread when using the account that has moderation powers. Since we all know that forum mods can and have correctly used the ability to moderate or suspend peoples posting right is ANY forum. Even those they do not normally mod in. So don't lecture me until you chose to start acting like a mod with this account.

Hello Sept1c,

I'd appreciate it if, to avoid confusion for other community members, you'd change your avatar back sometime today, once you believe you've made your point.  Thanks.

This topic was not meant to raise anyone's ire. And it is definitely not an attempt to harass, embarass or otherwise disturb my friend, Keystone. As you can see, I didn't even steal his avatar, it's just very similiar:

f86befa1-e7ad-41a9-b1f0-f144cf8c2dec.jpg

My stolen image.

124791_600.jpg

Keystone's avatar.

This topic has to do with geocaching as much as the other topic refrenced in the OP, the one Keystone defended when someone suggested that it was inappropriate. Knowing Keystone's sense of humor, and his apparent appreciation of the other thread, I believed no real harm was being done.

The original post was designed as an example of how easy it is to become confused with changing avatars, and to point out that we seem to be a little sensitive about our own identity.

One of the great things about geocaching is our community. The community is made of parcels with which we identify. Avatars (and signature lines, as well as the obvious screen name) are our marks. Without them, we would just be unknown masses.

I am changing my avatar back to it's original. I believe my antics have made my point. Although it is really confusing now, I will leave the topic open for the angsters and moderators to sort out. :yikes::P

Gee you didnt steal the image????? you say in the thread title that you did. You call your image "My stolen image" (quotes added) seems to me that at this point you are backtracking and trying a little damage control.

Once upon a time, Nym registered @ gc.com. Sometime later Team Nym registered and a forum argument ensued. Identity is very important to some people.

Trading avatars as a game may be funny to some, but the resulting confusion is the same as with identy theft.

I don't advocate no change; some people change their avatars all the time, but they are usualy subtle changes, and identification is not difficult.

So, to get back on topic, I repeat my questions from the OP:

How would you feel if someone just grabbed your avatar and started using it like it has always been theirs? Is your identity then threatened? Is there anything you can do about it?

:P:yikes:

I'd love to sit and watch this thread unfold, but I'm off to a local winery (Morgan Creek Winery) to attend an event and help drink a couple of bottles of wine. I'm sure there will be no angst at the event. I hope the angst level is a bit lower here when I get back home this evening. Happy geocaching!

Another issue is that intentional or not there are those that will see the Avatar and assume it is Keystone. Especially if they see it in another thread. This is a violation of the Terms Of Use. I direction your attention to section (:P Emphasis mine.

(:P Impersonate any person or entity, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with any person or entity.

theft.jpg

Gee I don't know, Since as a Forum Moderator you don't seem to understand the concept it doesn't seem that leaving it to the mods is such a good idea. In addition, while i am not currently a forum mod I still am a member of this community and entitled to my opinions.

It's interesting that your first reaction is to do the exact same thing that is being complained about. Just because you are ONLY a forum mod for the OT forum does not allow you the privilege of flaunting your disrespect in other forums. It is a policy of the forum mods that they be on their best behavior in ALL thread when using the account that has moderation powers. Since we all know that forum mods can and have correctly used the ability to moderate or suspend peoples posting right is ANY forum. Even those they do not normally mod in. So don't lecture me until you chose to start acting like a mod with this account.

Practice what you preach :yikes:

This is a topic worthy of the OT section or a PM or Email. It really isn't about Geocaching or Even the web site. It directed toward one person and that person is a Mod. Seems you could spend you time on something better than just trying to annoy a mod and fellow cacher.

Back to the topic, forum members have changed their avatars to fit a theme on many occasions. It has never been a violation of the TOU to do so, even when the theme is a particular person. I recall the first "CarleenP Day" when several forum regulars used her exact avatar (except me, since I edited a saxophone onto her shirt). Everyone involved had a great time and changed their avatars back to normal at the end of the day. We've done many other theme days, quite a few to celebrate birthdays of other geocachers in the forums. Smurf Day, Tractor Day, Flamingo Day, etc all happened without anyone waving the "Terms Of Use" flag.

In other words, Lighten Up Francis!

(:P Impersonate any person or entity, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with any person or entity.

theft.jpg

Practice what you preach :yikes:

This is a topic worthy of the OT section or a PM or Email. It really isn't about Geocaching or Even the web site. It directed toward one person and that person is a Mod. Seems you could spend you time on something better than just trying to annoy a mod and fellow cacher.

Back to the topic, forum members have changed their avatars to fit a theme on many occasions. It has never been a violation of the TOU to do so, even when the theme is a particular person. I recall the first "CarleenP Day" when several forum regulars used her exact avatar (except me, since I edited a saxophone onto her shirt). Everyone involved had a great time and changed their avatars back to normal at the end of the day. We've done many other theme days, quite a few to celebrate birthdays of other geocachers in the forums. Smurf Day, Tractor Day, Flamingo Day, etc all happened without anyone waving the "Terms Of Use" flag.

In other words, Lighten Up Francis!

Since we are talking movie characters I am reminded of Stallone's Character "ROCKY" he managed to succeed without really understanding what was going on around him. Take your own advice Sax.