Letter To Garmin Technical Service

Below is a copy of a letter I wrote to Garmin's Technical Service. Please feel free to copy and resend in support of this idea:

Dear Garmin,

As you know I am a long-time customer who has purchased a GPS 38, two eTrex Mariners, an eTrex Legend and Vista, a GPS 128, GPSmap 162 and GPSmap 60CS. I have also purchased a Camo eTrex for my Dad, and 7 titles of Mapsource maps.

I am writing to request that you not add waypoint categories to the GPSmap 60C(S) and 76C(S) series. I love the way these units handle waypoints and think that categories would create another layer of menus that would provide little to no value to me as a user.

Thanks for your consideration on this and all the past requests that you have both considered and implemented.

Thanks again,

XXXXXXXX - actuual name withheld

I got a surprise e-mail from a Garmin tech service employee this morning here it is (minus the attachement):

XXXXX,

I received your e-mail just before quitting time on Friday. I didn’t know what to think of it until I looked at the Groundspeak forums yesterday evening. I know now that it was written rather tongue-in-cheek. I just happened to see to XXXX XXXXXX this morning and told him about the thread and your letter. He thought it was funny and told me I could send you our internal release of the GPSmap 60C/76C firmware that includes waypoint categories and a 255-character comment field. I didn’t have 3.90gi at home so I’ve attached 3.80gi. The “gi” stands for Garmin Internal. We keep an internal version and a production version that gets posted on the website.

The only other difference between 3.80gi and 3.80, other than the comment field and waypoint categories, is a cosmetic change to Gekiods.

By the way, Waypoint Categories does add a menu option but doesn’t add any menu depth until you actually select it.

I’ll try to remember to send you 3.90gi when I get to work on Monday. Just e-mail me at xxxxxxx@garmin.com if I forget.

Have fun but please do not share this firmware with anyone else.

Sincerely,

xxxxx

By the way,

I've loaded 3.80gi but have never set up any categories in Mapsource so I'm going to be working for the next 30 minutes or so setting up some categories. I'll also check to see if I can transfer 255 characters from Mapsource comment field.

The cosmetic change to Gekoids is that the asteroids look like sport track units until you shoot them then they turn into two explorists. The center icon that does the shooting looks like a 60C.

you da man.

255 characters what a bonus - that lack of information download (phone#, personal notes, usgs map datum) has been causing me to use a lot of cryptic abbreviations for the past several months. now waypoints will be more than just markers on a display. bye bye waterproof field notebook.

the 60cs and 76cs will soon be the most powerful hand-helds on the market - best of breed 4 sure.

gotta love garmin – what a company :yikes::D:P:P

IT'S A JOKE JUST LIKE THE FIRST FAKED "TECH SUPPORT E-MAIL".

I would never ask for a feature to not be implemented and I hope that Garmin's tech support folks have something better to do on a Saturday morning that send e-mails and hang around with managment.

Sorry for anyone who took this a real - IT'S JUST A JOKE.

:embarrassed: