Getting Started And Need Some Advice.

ScottFla

I am interested into getting into geocaching as a way for my stepdaughter and me to get out and spend time together. However, I don't want to spend a lot of money on a GPS unit.

I've tried looking on various sites to try to figure out which GPS would work best for me but there are millions of them!

Basically, the cheaper the better for me, if the units will do what I need them to do for geocaching and trip logs for kayaking.

There are a couple of units available at Target (where I have a gift card that I'll never use unless I use it for this) so my question is, are these ok for what I need? Are there needed features they don't have? Which unit is better and why?

If anyone could post a few answers, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Here are the units:

Garmin Gecko 101

iFinder GO 16mb

Magellan Explorist 100

Some Target stores (like our local one), also have the Garmin Legend. It is a mapping unit that is rugged and comes with a computer interface cable. Nice unit.

I would avoid the Gecko - I have seen many reports of dificulties. Many like them but problem reports worry me.

Don't know much about the others but they would all work for Geocaching.

Hello & welcome to the hobby/sport! :lol:

Of those three I would recommend the iFinder GO. It comes loaded with basemaps whereas the other 2 don't. Basemaps are very nice, the one on the GO isn't as detailed as on a more expensive GPS, but it does have all the major roads loaded as well as lake/river shoreline contours. This is very handy frame of reference to help identify a location.

I'm not personally familiar with any of the units you listed, but I would recommend two things:

1) a GPSr that connects to your computer, and

2) a GPSr that has mapping capability - a base map and the ability to (purchase) and download more detailed street or topographic maps.

The computer connection is important because it makes it MUCH easier to enter waypoints (e.g. geocache or other locations) and it allows for downloading maps in the future if you decide you want them.

The mapping capability because it allows you to eliminate the use of paper maps (and most mapping software will also do autorouting, like MapQuest, on your PC and allow you to download the route to your GPS).

Without these two features you're likely to find geocaching more time consuming and frustrating, and your GPSr less useful for other activities.

As others have said, the Garmin eTrex Legend is a relatively inexpensive GPSr that has both of these capabilities and is highly recommended by users (I own the Vista, which is basically the Legend with a few more bells and whistles).

Any of the units you mentioned would be fine for geocaching in most locations in Florida. If you decide after five caches that it's not the activity for you, you won't be more than $70 or so down even if you throw the unit away (which you won't - another beginning cacher will buy it from you for $20 less than you paid).

I found my first 280 caches with a Geko 201 and I hardly ever used the PC interface, so a 101 will also be fine. The main thing is to get caching first. Oh, and if you find five of the first ten caches you attempt, you're doing fine - don't let "DNFs" put you off!

Well, Target was out of GPS units, except for one that came with a VHS and it was out of my budget for now, so I went with the Magellan eXplorist 100. Been playing around with it (since before the drive home, actually) and have recorded my first cache waypoints. So, tomorrow morning, I'm heading off on my first geocache!