Indiana Spirit Quest

E = Mc2

I'm wondering if anyone has bookmarked the entire 'Indiana Spirit Quest' series of caches?

If so, would someone please share it with the rest? There's no way I know of to run a pocket query and search by name...

Thanks!

Doing a keyword search for "Indiana Spirit" resulted in over 200 ISQ caches. It wasn't run as a PQ and I don't have it bookmarked, so it may not be exactly what you're seeking, but here's a link to the list:

Indiana Spirit Quest caches

I'm wondering if anyone has bookmarked the entire 'Indiana Spirit Quest' series of caches?

If so, would someone please share it with the rest? There's no way I know of to run a pocket query and search by name...

Thanks!

Doing a keyword search for "Indiana Spirit" resulted in over 200 ISQ caches. It wasn't run as a PQ and I don't have it bookmarked, so it may not be exactly what you're seeking, but here's a link to the list:

Indiana Spirit Quest caches

Precisely my point. Doing a search like that is just too time consumptive , and all you get is a .loc file. Looks like I need to take this question to the GC website request forum. A PQ by cache name or a buncha PQ's for the whole state(s) would be necessary here. Thanks Cary!

I looked at the above link and it pretty accurately covers about all but the newest of the Indiana Spirit Quest Series of caches by the various cachers that are part of the Grand Exaulted Order of the Spirit Quest Hiders / Seekers

All with the exception of the ISQ-OC (Ohio Connection) caches that is !

Star

Edited by Team Tigger International

It would be nifty if there were some kind of web site devoted to the ISQ's. Sort of both a repository of the ISQ listings and a way to keep up a list of the caches as they come to GC.com. Perhaps additional background information regarding the Quest could be kept up.

One thing that I would appreciate is perhaps an edited version of the listings be available. While the descriptions are quite good and well-worth reading, it makes getting printouts of the pages rather long, and editing them to the essential information tedious, even with a pocket query. Maybe a condensed version of the listings to carry on the hunt would be nice.

No, I'm not volunteering, but I could be enticed into action via other means. :lol:

Ok, my 2 cents,

I think that the depth of the cache pages is what makes the ISQ series special, Too put out just the bare bone info would cheapen the whole series. I don't spend my time at my public liberey looking up info, or visiting my local historic society just to get the the corrdanates and a clue "35 mm film cannister by tree". If this is what you are looking for, I suggest you travel to Ohio and find their Spirit Quest caches. I would not think of asking a puzzle cache owner for just the coordinates to their cache just so I wouldn't have to work at figuring out the cache.

So now I will tell you how I list the ones I want to find. Pen and paper. Very low tech, but it works. I even made a spreadsheet to help me keep it nice and neat. I think the planning is part of the fun of geocaching.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Chris-Team Shydog

Edited by Team Shydog

I agree with Shydog that it is the extent of information on the ISQs that makes them valuable. To reduce that information would cheapen the caches into just another park'n'find. Even when I do not have the time to do caching it is fun and educational to read the cache description to my driving partner as we pass the caches.

I use pocket queries and a PDA for my caching. No problems with the ISQs except for the pictures ... and that is only because I have a low-level PDA.

Regarding the ISQ series, while it is interesting to read the histories and there is certainly work involved in writing them up, I print out only the cover sheet and any sheet with a hint on it to take with me. This cuts down on the paperwork.

. Maybe a condensed version of the listings to carry on the hunt would be nice.

No, I'm not volunteering, but I could be enticed into action via other means. :D

How much other means are we talking? :)

I could say financial gain, but that would be too base and demeaning to the whole ISQ series. I really can't answer at this time because I have no idea how I can be convinced to put in a lot of volunteering time and effort.

I will say that I can host such a site, even get an appropriate domain name, maybe indianaspiritquest.com. Thinking about it, most of the actual work is done already with the write-ups. It's just a matter of collecting everything together, indexing them, and expanding on them.

What did I just talk myself into?? :D

I think that the depth of the cache pages is what makes the ISQ series special, Too put out just the bare bone info would cheapen the whole series. I don't spend my time at my public liberey looking up info, or visiting my local historic society just to get the the corrdanates and a clue "35 mm film cannister by tree". If this is what you are looking for, I suggest you travel to Ohio and find their Spirit Quest caches. I would not think of asking a puzzle cache owner for just the coordinates to their cache just so I wouldn't have to work at figuring out the cache.

In no way am I suggesting that the cache pages be reduced in terms of the information involved. That wasn't what I was thinking. The only thing that I concern myself over is the protracted use of printer cartridges and paper. For those of us that either don't have or can't find our PDA, paper is the medium of choice for essentual trail information.

Fortunately, it's not too bad to go through a pocket query and reduce them for trail purposes. The only thing that I wish could happen in a pocket query is the use of keywords to have such queries be for ONLY the ISQ's. I guess until then, I'll have to edit out the other caches, although I think with GPX spinner that can be done without any difficulty.

OK, I'm done now. :D

. Maybe a condensed version of the listings to carry on the hunt would be nice.

No, I'm not volunteering, but I could be enticed into action via other means. :D

How much other means are we talking? :P

I could say financial gain, but that would be too base and demeaning to the whole ISQ series. I really can't answer at this time because I have no idea how I can be convinced to put in a lot of volunteering time and effort.

I will say that I can host such a site, even get an appropriate domain name, maybe indianaspiritquest.com. Thinking about it, most of the actual work is done already with the write-ups. It's just a matter of collecting everything together, indexing them, and expanding on them.

What did I just talk myself into?? :)

Would a spread sheet listing all the caches with waypoints, coordinates, clues etc. be of any value in this endeavor? :D If so what data would be of value?

Would a spread sheet listing all the caches with waypoints, coordinates, clues etc. be of any value in this endeavor? :D If so what data would be of value?

I suppose that any data would be useful, or at least harmless if redundant. Right now, I suppose that I would need to get familiar with something like FrontPage (which I have) so that I don't have to format everything by typing all of the HTML tags.

I suppose that we should decide what content such a web site would have. I think that in order to meet the desires originally brought up in this thread, there should be a section by which one can download waypoints for all the ISQs. I would guess that there's no problem with LOC files, but I would be concerned about storing GPX files. Does any know about legal issues regarding GPX?

I suppose that we should decide what content such a web site would have. I think that in order to meet the desires originally brought up in this thread, there should be a section by which one can download waypoints for all the ISQs. I would guess that there's no problem with LOC files, but I would be concerned about storing GPX files. Does any know about legal issues regarding GPX?

You will want to review and comply with the License Agreement and the Geocaching.com Site Terms of Use Agreement.

You will want to review and comply with the License Agreement and the Geocaching.com Site Terms of Use Agreement.

OK, this is a toughie. It sounds like there would be too much of a legal quagmire for having an "ISQ pocket query" available on an independent web site. I would speculate that if somehow it could be restricted to premier members that it might be allowed, but that's a guess.

However, I suppose that there is technically no restriction regarding having a batch file that would allow premier members to access GPX downloads. It would be a matter of maintaining a database of the waypoints and letting the batch file do its thing. There might be an issue of using bandwidth, but that can happen anyway if someone where downloading the waypoints from each page individually.

Now we just need somehow to show me how that is done. :D

All this computereeze language and legal gobbledegook makes my head feel like it's going to explode. My eyes are glazed over now. Maybe the technos in the Website forums can be of help. I have a basic speadsheet listing all the ISQ's, but I'll have to add waypoints and other data, a project I have been contemplating anyway, so I think I'll start it, in case anyone would want it and find it of value--It would include Indiana Spirit Quests, Indian Spirit Quests and ISQ-OC caches...

:D:D:D

I would speculate that if somehow it could be restricted to premier members that it might be allowed, but that's a guess.

However, I suppose that there is technically no restriction regarding having a batch file that would allow premier members to access GPX downloads.

Please. Quit speculating and supposing. If the terms of use are unclear to you, write a letter to Groundspeak describing your intended use, and asking whether it's permissible.

My 1/2 cent opinion here.

I did my first few ISQ cache over the July 4th weekend and I really liked them. So much that FallenFaery and I are going to devote a weekend trip to hunting only ISQ caches. The history on the cache pages are fantastic and exploring the old cemeteries is alot of fun. No quick in and outs for us. We like to look around.

Keep up the good work and thanks for all the effort that went into placing and researching these!

All this computereeze language and legal gobbledegook makes my head feel like it's going to explode. My eyes are glazed over now. Maybe the technos in the Website forums can be of help. I have a basic speadsheet listing all the ISQ's, but I'll have to add waypoints and other data, a project I have been contemplating anyway, so I think I'll start it, in case anyone would want it and find it of value--It would include Indiana Spirit Quests, Indian Spirit Quests and ISQ-OC caches...

:huh::(:huh:

I would like that please.

your buddy.

BUDDAMAN

:blink:  ;)  :P

I would like that please.

your buddy.

BUDDAMAN

Ditto here

Circle of Honor was our first ever cache!

Right down the street from us. Kids like to ride bikes and play there.

Game who can find the oldest stone. They like to add birdseed, fresh flowers ect on stones that might not have anyone visit.

We went to a cache today and had to hurry a VET. was going to rest today and we wanted to let the family have peace.

Last cache today was a very old place. Those was not one that would be listed but personal caches. Great finds today!

There are several historic cemetaries in Greenwood that could use ISQ caches. I grew up across the street from a tiny one that has a lot of Civil War era graves. I was thinking about putting a regular micro in there, but if somone wants to do the research and put in an ISQ cache in there then let me know and I'll give you the co-ords.

There are several historic cemetaries in Greenwood that could use ISQ caches. I grew up across the street from a tiny one that has a lot of Civil War era graves. I was thinking about putting a regular micro in there, but if somone wants to do the research and put in an ISQ cache in there then let me know and I'll give you the co-ords.

Better watch it buddy!!! thats Ruperts2"s home turf. :blink::rolleyes:<_<:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I was thinking about putting a regular micro in there, but if somone wants to do the research and put in an ISQ cache in there then let me know and I'll give you the co-ords.

If you think Greenwood cemeteries need ISQ's, then why don't YOU do the research, take the photos and hide the cache? :lol: Then WE could go and find it!! ;) It would up your find-to-hide ratio from 28 - 0 ..... :lol: We don't need the coordinates. We KNOW the coordinates!! ;):wacko::blink:

I know that no one has really been on this topic for a while, but I was thinking that maybe since people have a problem with printing out 4 pages at a time with ISQ, and that cutting the info would compromise the whole point of the ISQ, maybe the ISQ people could cut the photos out. That way, no one is compromising the integrity of the ISQ, but you won't have to waste paper and ink, either. Plus, the people who are printing them out will probably see these things in real life anyway, thus eliminating the need for the photos. Just a suggestion. Don't be afraid to put me in my place, since I am new to all of this. Thanks!

There are several historic cemetaries in Greenwood that could use ISQ caches.  I grew up across the street from a tiny one that has a lot of Civil War era graves.  I was thinking about putting a regular micro in there, but if somone wants to do the research and put in an ISQ cache in there then let me know and I'll give you the co-ords.

Better watch it buddy!!! thats Ruperts2"s home turf. :):):):):DB):cry:

To be perfectly honest, we can use all the help we can get. There are four of us hiding ISQ's to the west of Indy and there is absolutely no comeptition for available cache sites. It would be great to have others on board as long as they are willing to stick to SixDogTeam's high standards. Having someone to cover the Greenwood area would be GREAT.

Edited by Rupert2
I was thinking about putting a regular micro in there, but if somone wants to do the research and put in an ISQ cache in there then let me know and I'll give you the co-ords.

If you think Greenwood cemeteries need ISQ's, then why don't YOU do the research, take the photos and hide the cache? :o Then WE could go and find it!! :D It would up your find-to-hide ratio from 28 - 0 ..... :rolleyes: We don't need the coordinates. We KNOW the coordinates!! :lol::D:D

Hmmm....Not nice.

After finding ~44 ISQ's weekend before last, I have one general suggestion.

You might want to abbreviate the geocache names, ie. "ISQ #255: Way Cool", instead of "Indiana Spirit Quest #255: Way Cool". In Northwest Ohio, they use "SQ - cache name" for their naming convention.

Based on the way I have Cachemate configured, all I see is: "T Indiana Spirit Ques... (1.5/1.5)". I had to select each cache to expand the name or do a find on the number to find the cache listing - in a database of 100's. We ended up NOT using the PDA (it's been a long time since we haven't used it). Instead, we used a combination of the laptop & GSAK, just the coordinates in the GPSr's, or some brief handwritten notes.

You might want to abbreviate the geocache names, ie. "ISQ #255: Way Cool", instead of "Indiana Spirit Quest #255: Way Cool". In Northwest Ohio, they use "SQ - cache name" for their naming convention.

I am bookmarking all of my ISQ finds, and when I do, I shorten the name to ISQ XXXX, where XXXX is a four-digit number (with leading zeroes). I'm anticipating that the series will eventually exceed 1000 caches, so I'm ready for it! If the cache names themselves used that four-digit format, it would put them in numerical order when a search is made. Just a thought.

After finding ~44 ISQ's weekend before last, I have one general suggestion.

Based on the way I have Cachemate configured, all I see is: "T Indiana Spirit Ques... (1.5/1.5)". I had to select each cache to expand the name or do a find on the number to find the cache listing - in a database of 100's. We ended up NOT using the PDA (it's been a long time since we haven't used it). Instead, we used a combination of the laptop & GSAK, just the coordinates in the GPSr's, or some brief handwritten notes.

Don't think we should change a thing ... tis what sets Indiana Spirit Quest apart from those "others" that put little or no effort into telling the stories of a particular place, person etc.....

Star

To resurrect an older topic, the new premium features now allow for the creation of pocket queries from bookmark lists. I'm currently going through the ISQ listings and creating a bookmark list of all the caches, and others will be able to create pocket queries from this list. If there is no objection, I would be willing to make this list available on the ISQ listings.

That's a great idae! I had started a bookmark list, but with limited time on the road and limited bandwidth at home, I let it slide. I had thought about running PQ's to get every cache in Indiana, and then using GSAK to filter the results. Your idea is much better!

All righty then. I will have them available to the public. Only one minor problem is that each bookmark list is limited to 100 items, so there will be several lists, which I'm grouping into centuries. I should have the first 100 finished today and the rest by this weekend.

OK, I've got up the first three hundred onto bookmarks. They should be visible by accessing any of the cache pages. They're currently split into three 100-cache lists, but from what I understand, the lists will eventually go to a max of 500. When that happens, I'll merge them.

One minor point of concern. I couldn't find #215, #281, and #288. Am I missing something, or is there something about those?

OK, I've got up the first three hundred onto bookmarks. They should be visible by accessing any of the cache pages. They're currently split into three 100-cache lists, but from what I understand, the lists will eventually go to a max of 500. When that happens, I'll merge them.

One minor point of concern. I couldn't find #215, #281, and #288. Am I missing something, or is there something about those?

shhh!

We don't talk about those caches.

First rule of ISQ: You don't talk about 215, 281 and 288

Second rule of ISQ: You don't talk about 215, 281 and 288

Wulf

The thing about those is there is a space between the "#" and the number in the title--this may have messed up your search...They are:

ISQ #215, The Great Sultana by Mystery Dog (GCP904)

ISQ #288, Let Us Have Peace by Mystery Dog (GCPYPR)

ISQ #281 assigned to Dover Duo, not published yet, to our knowledge.

Thanks for your hard work on this!! It is appreciated.

:D

P.S. Rules number one and two were recinded at the last meeting. You guys would know that if you had been there. You are both in violation of rule #87.

Edited by Earthdog Patrick