How Small Is Micro Cache

chester-reno

They can vary. A good many are things like 35mm film canisters, Altoids tins, little magnetic key-holders and such. Then there are the truly evil micros. Some folks get really creative and will do things like hollow out the inside of an acorn and hang it from a tree.

Microcaches come in many shapes and sizes, from an Altoids tin to a Altoids strips tin is fairly common with the 35mm film cannister being somewhat "standard" size. Sometimes a micro is called a "nano" or "Ultra-micro" in the cache description. This usually refers to anything smaller than (and including) an Altoids-strips tin.

I once again humbly offer up the Sputnik 57 Rule of Thumb:

If my thumb fits into it (or won't), it's micro

If my hand or fist fits into it, it's small

If my foot fits into it, it's regular

If my arm fits into it, it's large

If I fit into it, it's extra large

As Bill Murray said to Segorney Weaver, "Actually, it's more like a guideline."

I once again humbly offer up the Sputnik 57 Rule of Thumb:

If my thumb fits into it (or won't), it's micro

If my hand or fist fits into it, it's small

If my foot fits into it, it's regular

If my arm fits into it, it's large

If I fit into it, it's extra large

As Bill Murray said to Segorney Weaver, "Actually, it's more like a guideline."

Now that deserves to make the FAQs!

This is the smallest one I have found so far. Had to use the hint for that one :lol: Total length about 2.5 cm/ 1 inch. But so small micros are not that common. In my area 35mm film cannisters and small breathmint boxes are more the norm for micros.

I just bought some containers that were much smaller than this. They are half the height of these and a little more than half the diameter.

Can someone provide some insight on possible micro cache containers. We've never found one and we're not sure what to look for.

I found one magnetic "nano" micro cache that was about 1/2" in diameter and less than 3/8" high. The log was a long, 1/8"-wide strip of paper rolled up inside.

Another "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny" cache was about the same size.

For those tiny ones, I always hope the hint is truly helpful instead of like the hint for one I searched for yesterday. It was very small, the hint said it was magnetic, and the GPSr placed me next to lots of chain link fence. :yikes:

That was a DNF after lots of searching.

I'm a newbie and need some detailed explanation about the types of caches, and how one decides to classify them before submitting the location and description. If the first cache contains clues to the next and there are formulas included in the descriptions would this be considered a multi-puzzle?

Please help as I want to place my first cache soon but want to describe it correctly.

I'm a newbie and need some detailed explanation about the types of caches, and how one decides to classify them before submitting the location and description.  If the first cache contains clues to the next and there are formulas included in the descriptions would this be considered a multi-puzzle?

Except for the multi vs. puzzle question, everything you need to know is in the guidelines.

There is no such thing as a multi-puzzle cache in the reporting form. You pick one or the other.

Since multi and puzzle are both cache types there is a problem in deciding which one to use when a cache involves both multiple stages and puzzles. Most people seeking a cache expect the published coordinates to be a place you need to go and find something, unless the cache is listed as a mystery (puzzle) cache.