Why Your Avatar

Mine used to be a doctored version of my band's business card, but that has an outline drawing of a drum kit... and people thought I was a drummer.... bloomin' cheek.

So I changed it to a nice piccy of me and the wife... well I thought she looked nice in her bikini... but for some reason she objected.

So I asked her to find a 'nice' picture with us both in. As I usually take the pictures there are very few of me at all. And if it's not me tkaing them.... it's her... so that was just about the only picture with us both in over the last 3 years. Luckily it was passed by the censors.

Well you did ask.

As out title is mark and lynn i wanted something to represent the other 3 members of the family and found this image of two older girls and a boy which fitted nicely added some colours via photoshop got a stamp made up with the image on it.

It used to be a piccy of a canal near to one of our caches

All five of us was used to show markandlynn represents five people.

Because he sums up how I feel most days! He's mean and grumpy just like me.

I'm known by some as a grumpy basket and you can't get more grumpy than Conrad Turner.

And the series is one of my all time favourites. See my signature...

Edited by jochta

'Cos it's my favourite photo of hubby and me, taken on the summit of Ben Nevis which we climbed together 3 weeks after we first met. It was one of our first dates!

Our friends said... "you'll either be rowing furiously about 'whose bright idea was this' by the time you get back down to the bottom or you'll be the best of friends."

In reality, we were leaning on each other (literally) for most of the way down because our knees and ankles were aching so much... and we got married 7 months later!

:o:o:)

PS: To see a larger version, double click on the photo on my GC.com profile page.

Edited by Leoness

We actually caught both of our cats sitting still at the same time in the same place. Actually, the orange one was just starting to attack the other one's tail when this was snapped. Since the two cats were part of the development of our name, we felt they made a good avatar. They're also on our sig cards.

I was bored, I'd bought a green neon tube, there was an old judo suit in the wardrobe... Things got out of hand. :lol:

It was just a silly photo of me I found to illustrate my profile with when it asked if I wanted to upload one. It was that or a creepy one of me dressed as a girl. I was bored...etc. :lol:

SP

A few years ago we started a technical diving training group between 3 of us - Graeme, Andy & Sue - and call it GAS Diving, made up from our initials and because of the mixed gases we were providing instruction for. So when the G&S part gave this up that we stole the GAS to mean G & Sue rather than the initials of the 3 of us. see this page for more info. The G and the S are in the form of line arrows used to mark the line in cave diving to help you find the exit in bad conditions (yes we are both nuts - fully trained full cave divers and instructors to the trimix level). Decided that we knew more about the underwater areas of the UK than above water so switched altitudes to be above rather than below sea level :lol: Can still remember our first use of a GPS on dive ribs and trying to find the spot. 2 ribs declared "we're here" and you could have sunk the titanic between us - they were the days when selective availability was still on. So if you think finding a cache is tricky - try locating a wreck 80m below you on the sea bed with nothing but murky water between you and the wreck - oh yes and you're bouncing around on 20 foot waves.

Sue (& G)

Mine is a very poor scan taken from "Observations Sur Quelques Mammiferes Du Nord De la Chine" published in 1867. It is the first ever illustration of Meriones unguiculatus, the species of gerbil (The Mongolian Gerbil) usually kept as a pet.

For a bit of trivia to astound your friends - the same French missionary (Pere Armand David) was the first European to describe the Mongolian Gerbil, the Giant Panda, and that Buddleia stuff that grows everywhere on wast ground.

[i'll now go back to not being so learned]

Scappoose - according to some - is form of a Native American word that, loosely translated, means "gravelly ground" (trust me, it's appropriate). Others say the word comes from the Chapeaus Frenchmen who lived and worked in the area.

Either way, there's a large totem pole as you enter Scappoose - the avatar was an obvious choice.