Camo'd Caches

so i am one who dispises hiding ammo cans and 35 mm film cans,altoids are alright as long as they are the newer ones,a lot of my ideas come from things i viewed here,but only one cache have i found that is worthy of being called camo'd.what is up with that?i am thrilled to offer assisitance as to how i create some of my caches to askers but it seems that not many people have the same mindset when hiding.am i before my time or one of a kind?my main theme is to take a coffee can and dig a hole in the backyard and place the can in it and place concrete around it to create a "rock".i have 49 hides now and am wondering where all the creative cache hiders are,for # 50 i am finishing a nite only cache that involves black lite reflective paint that will reveal cache coords.

I've found quite a few gorgeously camo'd hides - mostly micros but in JAX Fl Stressmaster is the master of camo for caches of all sizes. Not everybody is into crafts, the money & time it takes to create a special econtainer. I love 'em when I find 'em and I've hidden some real creations myself, but the film cans and geo-pouches are okay with me too. Especially if they're in a nifty spot.

I rarely see a need for camo beyond a few squirts of spraypaint on an ammo box, or a little camo tape on a Lock n Lock. I don't want people ripping bark off trees, taking apart sprinkler heads or turning over every rock in the area thinking my cache might be there.

Hiding your cache far enough from the crowds will reduce the need for extensive camoflage.

Man, I've seen caches that look like rocks, that look like branches, ones that blend in with a dirt wall, ones woth fake ivy covering them, ones made out of bolts, all sorts of stuff, and its not like I have a ton of fines, I'm currently at 195.

Just from what I've read or seen in the forums there are some truly evil camo jobs out there. Besides, a lot of the time it doesn't take a lot of camo to hide something, as long as the spot is good.

There is a whole topic devoted to ideas cachers have come up with, I think its got 12 pages now of creative ideas.

Geolite, I'm not sure why you felt the need to email me concerning your cache hiding techniques, or your disposition towards ammo cans. Until today, I have never received any corresponance from you. Additionally, your profile indicates (as does your email) that you reside very far from any of my cache placements. I have not seen any logs on my caches that would indicate you have visited them. So, I am forced to wonder why you chose to email me. I do have an active cache that uses an ammo can as a container. I chose this container for its durability and weather resistance, which are important considering its placement. The cache's longevity is a testament to the wisdom of my container choice. If you have visited the cache, why did you not log it?

As far as the whole container thing is concerned, I do enjoy the challenge that a camo'd container presents, but I "despise" hides that expose me to scrutiny by onlookers. I like to conduct my search in relative privacy. When caches in my area began to appear in more and more high traffic areas, I lost interest in searching for them. I still want to go find some "wilderness" caches, but that will have to wait for a vacation or something.

So, if you are planning to visit my cache, you should be prepared to encounter a "despicable" ammo can. In fact, the cache page itself informs potential seekers of this very fact, so there should be no suprises. Have fun, and good luck on your next cache hunt. :lol:

I rarely see a need for camo beyond a few squirts of spraypaint on an ammo box, or a little camo tape on a Lock n Lock.  I don't want people ripping bark off trees, taking apart sprinkler heads or turning over every rock in the area thinking my cache might be there.

Hiding your cache far enough from the crowds will reduce the need for extensive camoflage.

I agree with Briansnat.

In addition, when finding a cache, I value a great/creative location or a good hike to get there. I don't enjoy spending a long time picking over an area looking for a cache. Micros in the woods are my least favorite caches.

People tend to hide what they enjoy finding - it doesn't mean they're any less creative or that they lack the skills to camo a cache. A good camo job may be warranted if the location calls for it, but frustrating the seekers just beacuse you can is not my idea of fun!

To each his own...

I thought the idea was to get people to see the area of the Cache. Some Camo to fool the muggles is needed but if they have to look for a long time to find the container then they have missed the point of the Cache. Unless you are just trying to make it difficult for people to find the conatiner, then the game should be called "Hide a container and seek it" I HATE MICROS!! :lol:

I usually take time to throw a coat of paint on my ammo cans just because there isn't all that much green around here. With a few colors I can match most of the natural rock around here, and add a few sage brush highlights.

I like clever hides, be it camo or hidden in plain sight. It can make a cache in a ho hum location worth while.

I have camo'd all my ammo cans, and some of my small caches, but it's not necessarily so that cachers have more difficulty finding them. The small caches are camo'd to make them more muggle resistant. I camo the ammo cans so that they don't look so much like ammo cans to some muggle who might find them accidentally. I wouldn't want them to panic and call the bomb squad. It happened once around here.

Other than that, I want people to be able to find the things without too much trouble. Maybe just a little trouble.

Just my thoughts.

1.Location The cooler the spot the better the cache. A easy hide in a place that is nice to visit to me is better then a great hide in poor location.

2. Some of my hides are for kids and new cachers so they are not real hard but I do try to put them in areas that you would not go to otherwise. (I usually cache with my kids 11,& 14 ).

3. Good Swag not McJunk. If your going to hide a treasure cache make it good and check it ofter. Wet logs , pens that won,t write and trash in and around the cache suck.

Geocaching is only as much fun as the people that cache. Stuffed shirts usualy have plain jane caches and NuTs have the strange ones :yikes:

I like the camo idea. I have found lots of tupperware with camo tape sitting under a few sticks and it is starting to lose its luster. But when the cache is in the rock that I have stepped over a dozen times, that makes me step back (hopefully not tripping over the rock) and say to myself, "if I were a cache, where would I be?" To me that is fun.

I think there is a big difference between finding a creative way to hide a cache and using a micro in the woods. I don't plan to use any micros outside of the urban setting, but I do expect to make my caches hard to find. :P

Look for my next cache to be a 3/2. Then I am going to work my way up to a 4/2. I don't know that I'll ever get a 5/2 because in the woods, that would likely require building your own tree or something. :D:P:yikes:

There is a downside to good camo, enviromental destruction.

I created a cache container out of a foot long piece of dead Joshua Tree. I removed the natural, center core, and placed a 7 inch long cylindrical jar inside. I glued pieces of the core material in a fashion that made the cache invisible.

Within a month, cachers had destroyed every bush within 5 feet of a live Joshua tree. They even ripped several branches of the live tree down, during their search.

After discovering the damage to the cache, and the surrounding environment, I archived the cache.

Well i have done a few of geolite69s caches and i really enjoyed them i do like the in your face type of cache that is not really hidden under anything but more or less disguised as something everyday but also i like to have an ammo can to leave a bit of something nice forthe kids , so i tend to do multies where i have an in your face micro that will lead you to a bigger cache container real close by so you get the best of both . Also i tend to leave a few lame (for the numbers) caches along near or on the way to the harder ones to make it worth your while.

The OP might want to take a read of this thread.

RE: environmental destruction.

When I placed this cache over a year ago

rustys_revenge_1.jpg

I was very careful to state that the cache is in plain view and there is no need to move anything to get to the cache.

The photo above is very recent, as you can see the area isn't destroyed.

Where's the cache?

rustysrevenge_3.jpg