How do I find someone?

BullDogBob&Double00

My first thought was the forums 'geocaching group by country', but perhaps another thought is to do a cache search for caches in the cities you are looking at, find a few active cachers (one's that have a lot of cache placements in town), and try e-mailing them directly through their profile. I thought this might get you a more enthusiastic and experienced cacher that might be willing to go the extra mile for you.

"Could be worse...could be raining"

Please forgive the newbie question but is this plan w/in the scope of TravelBugs?

I thought the idea behind a TravelBug was to pick them up in one cache and deliver them to another ... yourself. The notion of handing a TB off to someone else to hide, in another country or elsewhere, just doesn't seem quite right to me. A great way to send TB far away, though.

Perhaps I'm just not seeing this quite right.

Smenzel is right. They are supposed to move from cache to cache. To hand them off to others, mail them across country, etc..., is not keeping with the spirit of the travel bugs.

This being said, there are no actual rules regarding travel bugs and many bug owners might not have a problem with something like BullDogBob is proposing. So contact the bug owner and ask them if it's OK with them. If it is, then go right ahead.

The only potential difficulty is that the TB tracking program doesn't allow for geocacher to geocacher transfer of TB's. The bug would have to be "dropped of" by the first geocacher in a cache, then "grabbed" by the second geocacher.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

Q. What is a Travel Bug?

A. Simply put, a Travel Bug is a new form of hitchhiker you can track on Geocaching.com. A hitchhiker is basically an item that is carried from cache to cache (or person to person) and you can follow its progress online.

This is what I read when I found the travel bug. This is why I asked. It says (or person to person). If this is not the way to do it I will place it in a cache myself. I'm a newbie so I dont know these things yet. icon_smile.gif

"WITHOUT GEOGRAPHY YOU'RE NOWHERE....Jimmy Buffett

quote:
The only potential difficulty is that the TB tracking program doesn't allow for geocacher to geocacher transfer of TB's. The bug would have to be "dropped of" by the first geocacher in a cache, then "grabbed" by the second geocacher.

Actually, that's not true. The system does support it. Once in a while, someone will pick up a Bug, log it, drop it off, and forget to log that drop. Then someone else finds it. If they do it by bug number, it will let them say that they have it. It'll give it to them. I've seen a couple like this recently when reading some bug logs. It'll go from one person to another without a drop-off in between just fine, I believe.

- John...

You can go person to person on the TB page. Faile and I do that all the time when we find a bug. One logs it from the cache, then the next one logs it and the page just says it was grabbed by so and so.

Go ahead and do it I suppose. On the other hand, I don't know what the bug owner's idea for the bug is. So the best idea I guess is to e-mail the bug owner and ask what they think about it. If its your bug (you didn't really make it clear if it was one you bought or found since you said "acquired") then do what ever the heck you want.

If you can find some one overseas to pick it up from your friend great. You could always get your pilot friend into the game and he could just plant it for you.

Signature? I don't need no stinkin signature!!!!

quote:
You can go person to person on the TB page. Faile and I do that all the time when we find a bug. One logs it from the cache, then the next one logs it and the page just says it was grabbed by so and so.

Oops, I was wrong on this one. You all are correct. Just that I never tried it.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

Well I've got a TB stranded in Saipan in a cliff side WWII fortress. The cache has been there for about a year and no one has found it yet.

I'd love to get him off that island. I've thought about contacting someone on the island via email and ask them to nudge him on his way -- even if it means putting him on a boat or mailing him to a locale that has caches in the area.

I really don't think he'll ever make it off the island otherwise. I know it's not exactly in the spirit of the game but somehow trying to rescue a TB from halfway around the world seems like fair game if a TB is simply stranded for life.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

Hey Bob, welcome to geocaching.

I looked at your profile, and I noticed it said you had not found any travel bugs yet. I looked at your finds, and it looks like maybe you took the travel bug from Notta 'nother Sunday Picnic and forgot to log it?

If you don't know how to log the travel bug find on the website (it's sorta like logging your cache find) go to www.Groundspeak.com and enter the serial number on the TB tag. More info can also be found here.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Mine has gone AWOL again.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=21851

Someone with good intentions trying to move it all the way to the destination in as few hops as possible. Exactly what I didn't want. I'd rather my bug spent more time in caches and moving between caches then sitting at the bottom of someone's gps accessory bag.

It can never make it to its destination for all I care as long as he keeps getting logs, keeps moving and stays in the system. As it stands his trip is boring and frustrating.

Let the bug loose and let it adventure, it isn't on a structured trip, it is supposed to be on a random chance journey. If you're not going there personally, don't delay it by trying to make special arrangements for it.

Otherwise, give the friend your GPSr and make him plant it and log it. icon_smile.gif

You might just get them hooked too.

SA / PP-ASEL-I

[This message was edited by DBleess on July 18, 2003 at 05:20 AM.]

I'm just relating my experience from the ownership side of the bug. While it may not be that big a deal to you, the owner of the bug is probably more interested to see their bug move than they are to see it stalled. I'd rather see a bug travel 1000 miles by 15-50 miles at a time rather than all in one hop.

I understand ocean crossings are difficult, but that is just part of the challenge. To have all the right people and times just happen to line up conveniently. If you already know someone at the destination, I'd say your plan was a great idea. But you have to actually work to make it go. I *personally* just don't agree with it. I don't speak policy for anyone but myself. You can certainly do as you please, but you asked for opinions. That is mine.

I'm suggesting that you try to keep bugs moving. I personally don't like to hold a bug longer than a week or even a weekend if at all possible. This is because of the experience so far with my own first bug.

This is the only email reply from the current holder that I received on the status on my bug:

6-2-03 Dixon's O n' A wrote:

> Hello,

>

> I do have the travel bug still. I apologize for not

> getting it back into the swing of things. My wife and

> I actually do a lot of chaching but we always forget

> to log where we went. So there's no need to worry, we

> will get it in a cache soon.

> Thanks.

They never log caches and have only ever logged pulling my bug.

If it goes into a cache, I likely will not know where unless/until someone else finds it. I sent another email a week ago, with no response, and may try one more time in another month.

The first person that had it, had their GPS stolen and was out of it for a month before they got it logged into a cache.

Things come up, and you may even lose interest in the hobby. (no idea how) So, again, I just say keep it in a cache if you can. If a chance comes up to send it overseas, go get it back. If it has already moved, then it is serving its purpose. TRAVELling. The journey itself is more important than the destination.

SA / PP-ASEL-I