Why Do Innocent Topics Have To Turn Ugly ?

I was just browsing another topic and yet out of the blue ... it turns into an argument... and really really fast at that ! Seems kinda silly and nitpicky why do we have to behave as such on these forums ?

Just wondering ?

Heres the thread ...

...and other Avatar abusers

it started with this from John X

I request that a moderator close this thread or move it to a more appropriate forum.

and mushroomed between a couple of other individuals ....

geeeeeesh !

Star

Hey, we can express our opinions however we want! Who made you the god of forum responses? :ph34r:Totally kidding.

There have been topics that I've started reading to see if I had something to add, then saw that it had turned into an argument and I'd leave. Just ain't interested in getting into it with someone I don't even know, especially because things can get pretty ugly thanks to the relative anonymity of these forums (I mean, you never have to actually face anyone).

The most unfortunate thing, I think, is that although most of my views are pretty well defined, I like hearing the reasoning behind others' points of view when they're presented rationally and without the undercurrent of "you're stupid for not thinking the way I do." Even if it doesn't change my mind about something, I'm glad when I can better understand where someone else is coming from.

There's my 3 cents (I tipped).

I would agree that the relative anonymity of our particular medium here does not help people with their manners sometimes.

I'm going to get all touchy-feely and say that another component of these electronic arguments is that in this forum, all posts are created equal. In a real live group of people, the more assertive, louder types can and do hog all the discussion time. Here, my line is just as big as the next person's. Therefore, it can be tempting to vent some frustrations that might be drowned out in the context of a real live discussion.

In addition to this, a real live meeting/discussion has a somewhat limited life span. When you say something you really wish you hadn't, its impact begins to diminish shortly after you've finished saying the unfortunate thing. If it's nothing too major, people will have forgotten about it in a few days, and no harm done. Here, one's words are here indefinitely, to be read and re-read again and again. It pays to be extra careful what one writes.

I'm sure there are many more components to this, and I suppose that's why we read through these types of threads--somebody always thinks of something you haven't.

It also seems that there is an individual who seems to have a beef with another individual and can't pass up starting an arguement in any thread for any reason.

if you think that I'm talking about you, I may be, I may not be, but either way CHILL!

Theres a good reason that there are many Premium Members that have next to no posts out here, but are regulars in Off Topic, and even though its the wrong forum, thats also why there is a fair amount of caching talk going on in there. A LOT less angst.

It is very easy is mis-construde ones words as being argumentative in the forums.

When you talk to someone face to face, you can hear their tone and read their body language which is obviously not possible out here.

In my opinion, this is one of the downsides to the relative anonymity of internet as a substitute for other forms of social interaction. I think people routinely post things that they would never say in person. Sometimes common courtesy and a willingness to just live and let live are too much to ask of some folks. :ph34r:

Sometimes folks are just trolls - they get some glee from causing a flamewar. That's a shame, but there isn't much to be done for it. Full time moderation of all posts would be an onerous task. A lot of folks around here seem to be good at recognizing trolls and calling them out. If all of us can avoid taking the bait and responding to or trying to rebutt the trolls, they'd give up sooner.

Sometimes folks read too much into what is posted and see an attack when none was intended. Part of the limitation of this form of communication. This is less formal than people were when writing snail mail letters and it can lead to misunderstandings. When we type like we speak we can forget that nobody can see all the non-verbal cues that are associated with speech and add meaning. Sometimes all the smilies in the world don't make it clear. :lol:

All that said, these forums are far better than many I've seen.

Yeah, I just let the mods do their job. I may have cracked a joke or two about a pending thread movement, but thats about it.

Up until yesterday I'd never Reported a thread, but there was one in the Getting Started forum that I genuinely thought was a Troll, and I hated the thought of some fool scaring off people from trying to help newbies. It turned out I was wrong, and I feel bad, but there was no harm done.

...if you think that I'm talking about you, I may be, I may not be, ...

(...with apologies to DeNiro... :ph34r:)

You talkin' to me?

You talking to me?

Then who the heck else are you talkin' to?

You talkin' to me?

Well, I'm the only one here.

Who the cluck do you think you're talking to?

Oh yeah? Okay!

taxi_driver.jpg

(Just to avoid miscues: If anyone in the thread is a young'en...no, this isn't a serious reply. It's a joke, son. Go ask someone -- somebody old, like in their 30s :lol: -- about the movie "Taxi Driver".)

It is very easy is mis-construde ones words as being argumentative in the forums.

When you talk to someone face to face, you can hear their tone and read their body language which is obviously not possible out here.

I don't know, I've heard from some people that have met you :ph34r:

Careful smurfboy, Ive got family in Colorado Springs and Im overdue for a visit. :lol:

self-appointed forum police do tend to irritate me.  :ph34r:

Dats what I am refering to Uper !

At times, the officially-appointed forum police can be pretty darn irritating, too! :lol:

very, very, rarely as far as my dealings with them go.

Depends on the Forum. That one in the Off Topic Forum can really get to you :lol:

in the interest of self preservation. :P

" Seems People will argue about anything "

Uh, no they will not argue about anything. This very thread is evidence! Notice nobody has countered (or argued, if you so choose) the premises of your thread which is that people will argue about anything.

I take great offense that you think we will argue about anything! People can be very calm and UNARGUMENTATIVE!

GOT IT?!?!?

(oops, something seems out of place here....)

:o

...if you think that I'm talking about you, I may be, I may not be, ...

(...with apologies to DeNiro... :o)

You talkin' to me?

You talking to me?

Then who the heck else are you talkin' to?

You talkin' to me?

Well, I'm the only one here.

Who the cluck do you think you're talking to?

Oh yeah? Okay!

taxi_driver.jpg

(Just to avoid miscues: If anyone in the thread is a young'en...no, this isn't a serious reply. It's a joke, son. Go ask someone -- somebody old, like in their 30s :o -- about the movie "Taxi Driver".)

Think I just found my new Avtar! ha ha ha :)

It also seems that there is an individual who seems to have a beef with another individual and can't pass up starting an arguement in any thread for any reason.

if you think that I'm talking about you, I may be, I may not be, but either way CHILL!

Theres a good reason that there are many Premium Members that have next to no posts out here, but are regulars in Off Topic, and even though its the wrong forum, thats also why there is a fair amount of caching talk going on in there. A LOT less angst.

Oh sure let everybody in on it!

Next thing you know everybody will be a premium member and hanging out in OT. :o

Hey, we can express our opinions however we want! Who made you the god of forum responses? :oTotally kidding.

There have been topics that I've started reading to see if I had something to add, then saw that it had turned into an argument and I'd leave. Just ain't interested in getting into it with someone I don't even know, especially because things can get pretty ugly thanks to the relative anonymity of these forums (I mean, you never have to actually face anyone).

The most unfortunate thing, I think, is that although most of my views are pretty well defined, I like hearing the reasoning behind others' points of view when they're presented rationally and without the undercurrent of "you're stupid for not thinking the way I do." Even if it doesn't change my mind about something, I'm glad when I can better understand where someone else is coming from.

There's my 3 cents (I tipped).

What do you mean other points of view? Just listen to what I say. I will give you your opinion! :o Actually I enjoy a good energized argument... as long as its clean. It's when people get nasty that I pack my bags and leave (after firing some pinpoint missles myself).

it started with this from John X

I request that a moderator close this thread or move it to a more appropriate forum.

and mushroomed between a couple of other individuals ....

geeeeeesh !

Star

Actually, the problem started with the accident shown here:

wreck.gif

My internet connection was slowed to an unbelievable crawl when the guy hit the pole with his truck. I got a little miffed that I was downloading baby pictures from the Geocaching Topics forum in a thread about avatars, and that the cable company did not believe they/I had a problem. Avatars have nothing to do with Geocaching. Very annoying at glacier speed.

My cable connection is back up and working fast so I can now load and ignore off topic posts very quickly.

JohnX,

In case my prior post to the avatar thread wasn't clear, as a forum moderator responding to your post report I am not planning on moving or closing that topic. Hopefully as you've learned, there are many people in the Geocaching community who regard their avatars, signature lines, etc., as part of their online persona to identify themselves to other community members. Transforming a simple game of electronic hide and seek into a worldwide online and real life community is part of the magic that makes geocaching what it is. But another part of the magic is that you can make the game whatever you want it to be for yourself, within the rules. So, if you are not interested in discussing avatars and their relationship to the forum community, just skip over that topic and don't post. Play the game the way you want to, but don't get in the way of others who play differently. Thanks.

Edited by Keystone

hey! i have dial-up and i spend most of my time in the nearly angst-free off-topic area. lots of pics get downloaded there. it's not worth making myself seem even b*tchier than i already do, complaining about the download speeds.

LIGHTEN UP FRANCIS!!!!!

if anyone in these forums is so important or rich, that they are losing money waiting for a download: GET BACK TO WORK!!!!

in every community of people this large you will find people who feel very strongly about any subject, plus people who find it hard to discuss things or are just clumsy wit hsome of the replies they make.

then there's the trolls who'll just say stuff to start an argument....

at end of the day if you don't want to take part in it once it starts then walk away... :o

self-appointed forum police do tend to irritate me.  :o

Hmmm, I saw X's post and thought to myself, if I wanted to get a thread closed for whatever reason, I'd have hit the report thingy and sent the message directly to a mod instead of lookin' like a weiner in an open forum over a harmless thread.

Hmmm, I saw X's post and thought to myself, if I wanted to get a thread closed for whatever reason, I'd have hit the report thingy and sent the message directly to a mod instead of lookin' like a weiner in an open forum over a harmless thread.

As I stated in my previous post, with what I though was a semi-amusing , but real picture of a truck crash, I was annoyed by my ISPs failure to believe there could possibly be a problem with my internet service. I hoped the picture and text would have explained how frustrated I was when I made my original post and that forum readers would understand and cut me a little slack.

I thank the cachers who reduced themselves to name calling over a one line posting that asked a thread to be closed or moved. I just have to laugh out loud when people who can't spell or even follow the most basic rules of grammar take the time to respond to my posts with poorly written insults.

As I stated in my previous post, with what I though was a semi-amusing , but real picture of a truck crash, I was annoyed by my ISPs failure to believe there could possibly be a problem with my internet service. I hoped the picture and text would have explained how frustrated I was when I made my original post and that forum readers would understand and cut me a little slack.

I thank the cachers who reduced themselves to name calling over a one line posting that asked a thread to be closed or moved. I just have to laugh out loud when people who can't spell or even follow the most basic rules of grammar take the time to respond to my posts with poorly written insults.

:o

I read the thread in question and I would hardly call that ugly. A little low level sniping maybe, but not a big deal. I've seen many truly ugly, vicious Internet forums, so this place seems to me to be very tame and the members quite courteous in comparison to other forums.

Its all a matter of perspective. I've seen newbies come here and gush about what a wonderful group we have here and for every one of them, another has come here and berated us for being a bunch of cads and split.

Also, I think some people need to learn that spirted debate is not negative. Its a chief point of having forums.

Theres a good reason that there are many Premium Members that have next to no posts out here, but are regulars in Off Topic, and even though its the wrong forum, thats also why there is a fair amount of caching talk going on in there.  A LOT less angst.

Next thing you know everybody will be a premium member and hanging out in OT. :lol:

Ah Carp! What have I done? Well, I guess we should start lobbying for an Off Topic forum in the Off topic forum :lol:

Theres a good reason that there are many Premium Members that have next to no posts out here, but are regulars in Off Topic, and even though its the wrong forum, thats also why there is a fair amount of caching talk going on in there.  A LOT less angst.

Next thing you know everybody will be a premium member and hanging out in OT. :lol:

Ah Carp! What have I done? Well, I guess we should start lobbying for an Off Topic forum in the Off topic forum :lol:

one thing i like about off-topic is that most posters there have enough manners not to belittle others for their spelling, grammar, or lack thereof.

self appointed spelling and grammar police tend to irritate me also.

one thing i like about off-topic is that most posters there have enough manners not to belittle others for their spelling, grammar, or lack thereof.

self appointed spelling and grammar police tend to irritate me also.

Even when someone does point out a grammatical erro or spelling mistake in there, its because the typo made the comment to gosh darn funny to ignore :D

Ah Carp! What have I done? Well, I guess we should start lobbying for an Off Topic forum in the Off topic forum :D

Make sure you invite only the "right" people. Of course, then you'll face the threat of legal action. :lol:

<Stunod knows what I'm talking about>

After thinking things over for a day or two, I have responded to the following quoted message that may be Internet trickery, but which has sent me into an annoyed fit, so here I go.

JohnX,

In case my prior post to the avatar thread wasn't clear, as a forum moderator responding to your post report I am not planning on moving or closing that topic.  Hopefully as you've learned, there are many people in the Geocaching community who regard their avatars, signature lines, etc., as part of their online persona to identify themselves to other community members.  Transforming a simple game of electronic hide and seek into a worldwide online and real life community is part of the magic that makes geocaching what it is.  But another part of the magic is that you can make the game whatever you want it to be for yourself, within the rules.  So, if you are not interested in discussing avatars and their relationship to the forum community, just skip over that topic and don't post.  Play the game the way you want to, but don't get in the way of others who play differently. Thanks.

I am sorry Keystone, but I am going to have to ask you to explain this message. Normally, I would ignore such a confusing post, but you are listed as a moderator and I wonder if you have mistaken me with someone else.

You addressed me specifically and claim you posted a message I can't seem to find. You wrote:

JohnX,

In case my prior post to the avatar thread wasn't clear, as a forum moderator responding to your post report I am not planning on moving or closing that topic.

I read every message in the recent three page topic about avatars which I think you are referring to and is where this is the only message I posted:

Your only post in that thread was this:

In honor of this thread, I've switched my avatar back to Professor Utonium. Professor Utonium says, "have a fun discussion!"

So does Bubbles...

user posted image

And so does mutant SignalBubbles...

user posted image

And so does Moderator Smurf...

user posted image

In fact, your post is not clear, and does not seem to exist at all. Perhaps I missed something.

You then launch into a lecture about the magic of geocaching and that I can skip over the topic and don't post messages if I am not interested discussing avatars, which is very lukewarm advice considering I did skip over the topic, this topic is not about avatars at all, but is about "Why Innocent Topics Have To Turn Ugly", and that you seem to be responding to a posting about a truck crash and my ISP where I wrote this:

My cable connection is back up and working fast so I can now load and ignore off topic posts very quickly.

You close your post with this request:

Play the game the way you want to, but don't get in the way of others who play differently. Thanks.

So Keystone, if you are a moderator, and you actually wrote the message I quoted, I would like to ask if your post is serious, where the post you claim to have made is, why you are lecturing to me about the magic of geocaching in an off topic post, and what exactly I have done to make you think that I "get in the way of others who play differently?"

Thanks for responding to this message in your role as moderator,

JohnX

Hello JohnX,

Yes, I am a moderator here in the Groundspeak Forums (if you're ever in doubt, the mods are listed here). Yes, each of my posts were intentional, the first one being in response to your "report this post" message asking that the thread be closed or moved. Yes, each of my posts were written in my capacity as a moderator. If I wanted to post an opinion as an individual, I would have used my player account.

I hope that this clarification is helpful.

Hello JohnX,

Yes, I am a moderator here in the Groundspeak Forums (if you're ever in doubt, the mods are listed here).  Yes, each of my posts were intentional, the first one being in response to your "report this post" message asking that the thread be closed or moved.  Yes, each of my posts were written in my capacity as a moderator.  If I wanted to post an opinion as an individual, I would have used my player account.

I hope that this clarification is helpful.

Hey, thanks for responding to my message Keystone. I will say your clarification was not helpful at all.

Just for my own amusement, I will quote you again, and ask again, where is the message you claim to have made about closing the avatar thread?

In case my prior post to the avatar thread wasn't clear, as a forum moderator responding to your post report I am not planning on moving or closing that topic.

It is possible that the post you claim to have made exists, but I did check again, and I can't find it. Geocachers as a lot seem to be people who pay attention to details, as I do, and you apparently do not. I just have to laugh out loud at people who respond to my posts with lectures on the magic of geocaching based on posts they imagine to have made. I would laugh even louder at a person who could not find an existing post and spent their time composing a message while trying to be polite, but insulting t the same time.

Thanks in advance for tracking down the post you claim to have made, and for not getting in the way of others who play the game differently.