Nurse To The Ape

Nurse Dave

Right now my week next week is looking fairly empty.  I may be able to get the day off and join you guys.  If nothing else to get my hands on some of that yummy frito pie!

Hopefully the week after next is your slow week because if you show next week you'll be on your own. :anitongue:

The Terrible Ts are planning on attending also (work permitting). There are 3 of us (plus the dog Scout). We will be proving our own transportation.

What is the ground surface like in the tunnel? Is it fairly smoth? or is it sharp edges all the way? We are concerned with Scouts paws. Has anyone had any problems bringing a smaller dog through the tunnel?

Thanks for any info.

The Terrible Ts are planning on attending also (work permitting). There are 3 of us (plus the dog Scout). We will be proving our own transportation.

What is the ground surface like in the tunnel? Is it fairly smoth? or is it sharp edges all the way? We are concerned with Scouts paws. Has anyone had any problems bringing a smaller dog through the tunnel?

Thanks for any info.

On the first Riding the Iron Horse event someone brought a dog. But the end of the trail (all the way down to Rattlesnake Lake) the paws were in pretty bad shape. The tunnel is very smooth, hard-packed sand. The trail is normal dirt/rock, the trestles are rough gravel.

By the end of the trail (all the way down to Rattlesnake Lake) the paws were in pretty bad shape. The tunnel is very smooth, hard-packed sand. The trail is normal dirt/rock, the trestles are rough gravel.

That would have been for the whole 22 miles though. I imagine Scout will do fine for the distance we're going.

I posted and then didn't check the thread for a while, and now you all have me confused. Are we meeting in a particular place to carpool? I'd be coming up from Puyallup. I'd rather not spend $5 if I can avoid it. Can someone summarize what the plans are at this point? (Sorry, for some reason I cannot unravel the flow of the replies on this thread....I must be tired or something...) :ph34r:

Land Rover is hosting a car pool, but that is full. Others have not made any specific plans that I can discern out of the messages I see here. No definite plan was made for a meeting point.

On another note, I talked to someone today that lives in Vancouver. She told me that 4 hours might be a better estimate on the time from Portland to Snoqualmie. She also advised avoiding I-205 since it is down to one lane in each direction for construction. I don't know if NurseDave and Beckerbuns were planning on 205 in Portland, but I thought I would pass that along.

From what I have ben able to decifer, the plan is to meet at the pay lot near the east end of the tunnel at 1030. How you get there is up to you.

Except for my already full carpool I have seen nothing definative just a lot of we could do this or that type chatter as far as meeting someplace else & forming carpools up to Hyak.

Looks like Reino and I will be joining in on the fun. We'll be coming up from Auburn, so if LindaLu (or anyone else from this neck of the woods) wants to ride up there with us, you're more than welcome to.

We'll be sticking around for Frito Pies ... what can we contribute? Whatever the "experts" think we'll need more of, I'll bring.

We won't be heading to the Runhills cache afterwards (it's in a great spot, but we've already been there).

I'll toss a canoe on top and grab some PFD's just in case anyone is interested.

If there is enough interest I'll toss 2 canoes on the truck capable of holding 3 each and I have enough PFD's to go around.

And the production gathers speed. :anicute:

I would love to claim a seat in one of your canoe's and do that cache.

Quick question, is anyone doing this on a bike or is the whole group going to walk?

As far as I can tell, everyone will be on foot.

There was some talk early on about doing the whole 22 miles on a bike, but the plan is to get to Ape and then walk back to the cars going through the tunnel twice.

Bring warm clothing. That wind is fierce through the tunnel. Hopefully it will not be in our face both ways, but that can happen.

I'll toss a canoe on top and grab some PFD's just in case anyone is interested.

If there is enough interest I'll toss 2 canoes on the truck capable of holding 3 each and I have enough PFD's to go around.

And the production gathers speed. :anicute:

I would love to claim a seat in one of your canoe's and do that cache.

Reading the latest logs for Stuffed with Fluff & Keechelus Crossing II both appear to be walk to and one may even be a drive to cache at the moment.

"Stuffed with Fluff" I guess used to be out in the water when it was first placed almost 2 years ago. If you park in marked spots near the cache you will be about 20 yards from it.

"Keechelus Crossing II" water is way to low to even use the boat ramp to get anything out there. This "island" cache isn't an island right now. If you try driving out to it bring some tow straps :anicute: But it is absolutely a walk to cache at this time....sorry C5

"Keechelus Crossing II"  water is way to low to even use the boat ramp to get anything out there.  This "island" cache isn't an island right now.  If you try driving out to it bring some tow straps  :rolleyes:  But it is absolutely a walk to cache at this time....sorry C5

I think I'll walk it. The truck gets better gas mileage anyway without a canoe on top. Looking forward to it. :lol:

Man, I was hoping to talk a few people into going to APE on my next visit.

Stupid Nurse guy is hoarding all the locals for this trip :rolleyes: .

Have a good time guys; I'll be there in spirit.

There's a few that can't make this time. Depending on you schedule, maybe we can talk a few of t;hem into joining you.

Man, I was hoping to talk a few people into going to APE on my next visit.

Stupid Nurse guy is hoarding all the locals for this trip  :lol: .

Have a good time guys; I'll be there in spirit.

I'd not be adverse to doing it more than once ya know. :rolleyes:

Okay, here's my Bookmarked wish list of caches to do on the 6th. I know I won't be able to get them all but those of us in the Land Rover are going to do our darndest to geterdone. There are a couple on the list that are probabbly going to get tossed but I had to start somewhere.

The must does are the 4 on the Iron Horse trail, the two at Lake Keetchleus, Prayer Flags & The World as Runhills Likes To See It. All the others are "sure would be nice to do if we have the time."

Okay, here's my Bookmarked wish list of caches to do on the 6th.  I know I won't be able to get them all but those of us in the Land Rover are going to do our darndest to geterdone. There are a couple on the list that are probabbly going to get tossed but I had to start somewhere.

The must does are the 4 on the Iron Horse trail, the two at Lake Keetchleus, Prayer Flags & The World as Runhills Likes To See It. All the others are "sure would be nice to do if we have the time."

Well you better be starting way earlier than 10:30AM.

Why not throw Silver Peak into the pile if you are going up to huckleberry cache and mirror lake? Lots of coins in that cache right now :unsure: .

Edited by MarcusArelius

Quick catch up here before I ferry over to Vashon for a long overdue box run and holiday festivities.

Firstly, I'm giving up my shotgun seat with LandRover and instead hitching a ride with CENT5 (given that I've now moved verily in his backyard here in West Seattle a much closer rendezvous). I presume we'll likewise be tagging along after LR though to do most all the caches on the list - leastwise all we can squeeze in. Do let me know what time to meet at the Cinco Centavo Palace, yes?

O.k. now... whatsay we get a last minute headcount so I'll know how much chili/fritos to bring. Reviewing the logs here, I'm thinkin' we've got:

Nurse Day and BeckerBurns (2)

Weightman

CavScout

CENT5

Prying Pandora

LindaLu

LandRover

Defender1

reino and GeekGirl (2)

Terrible T's (3)????

andrewri???

PlaidGuy????

Yes? No? Did I miss anybody?

If all above then we've got... 17 including the globalgirl...

What should we bring? It looks like most of the stuff is covered, but we can bring something so that someone who is on the list for two ingredients only has to cover one, or we can bring extra of whatever we're likely to need a lot of. More cheese/sour cream/fritos/chili? Suggestions?

What should we bring? It looks like most of the stuff is covered, but we can bring something so that someone who is on the list for two ingredients only has to cover one, or we can bring extra of whatever we're likely to need a lot of. More cheese/sour cream/fritos/chili? Suggestions?

I already have the cheese and sour cream, but maybe Cent5 will appreciate it if you bring bowls and spoons since he's bringing the stove and chili pot. Check with him.

The closer to this event we get, the more I am looking forward to it! ;)