Proposal: Memorial Caches

GeoGroucho

Hi there.

Lately I have been thinking about the idea of a cache type I would call "memorial cache".

The purpose of the cache is to create (cache) places dedicated to beloved people who have passed away too soon. Like a virtual cache but with a concrete purpose as a memorial to remember about those we are missing. Cachers can wander by in remembrance, say a prayer or whatever they would like to do.

I haven`t figured it out completely but it might be places the passed person loved or is related to (no public graveyards though).

A real cache might be hidden with a story behind the person, his/her history and his/her sad destiny(again, the cache should not be placed on the cemetery, of course) and a log book where others can enter their thoughts, condolences, etc. Items should not be removed from the cache.

Aim is to create some sort of virtual monuments so those people are not forgotten and others get to know about their destiny.

I had the idea lately when my mother passed away due to cancer after having suffered for long and I would like to know what others think about the idea.

Maybe there already is something similar.

So thoughts, ideas, complaints ? :P

Regards,

Oliver

Edited by ofels

If caches are meant to be temporary then a memorial would also have a set life span and would in time pass. That doesn't strike me as a memorial.

I don't think caches were meant to be permanent but if they were I think your idea has merit, except they would need to find a way to not block area for other caches placed for the beauty or challenge of it.

Once I was driving on some memorial highway, and I stopped at a memorial park and sat on a memorial bench where I could see the memorial trees next to the memorial path. It made me feel odd and that's not what life is about.

I think it's a neat idea, however if I may play devils advocate. We don't really need to come up with a new cache type (if that's what you are asking for) because the regular and virtual cache types already fullfill your needs for this. Great idea though, you could have the cache contents be related to what things the person loved, hobbies done, etc.

Well, this is a little off the topic, but goes a little with a memorial.

I have actually wanted to make my mother's memorial card (the one you pick up at funeral homes) and a picture of her and laminate them and make it a travel bug.

Since she loved to travel, the idea would be for her to travel to all the states and abroad. Maybe that is corny, who knows?

Maybe you know someone who always wanted to go to the beach and drink Mai Tais, but never made it. You could make a memorial travel bug and send a camera around with it, and have people take pictures of the TB at the different beaches people bring it to.

That's what I find great about this sport/hobby/addiction....you can be so creative and find so many treasures during your hike or in the cache, or within yourself.

Edited by Faith the Aquariaqueen

If someone wants to place a cache in memory of or as a memorial to someone, I think thats fine, but of what purpose would there be to having a special memorial type of cache?

Would you want to keep statistics as to how many memorial caches you have visited?

Would you want to set up PQ's to include or exclude memorial caches?

Would memorial caches be restricted to virual type of placement or could you put a standard box at the site with a log book where you could record your thoughts?

Just questions I have.

Edited by Blanston12

My mom passed away on June 8th of this year from cancer. We hav been dealing with it for a year and God called her home.

I will probably create a cache site where she will be memorialized but do not think a special cache type is needed. Too many type makes it hard to manage in the ui and will probably slow things down eventually.

My mom liked caching and has a multi hidden in celias rainbow garden. That is where we will be sprinkling her.

So memorializing a person in a cache is a good idea but a regular cache or multi would be fine. I know virtuals are not being created right now but that could be another option/exception. A way for us to place a cache but not require a container.

My mom passed away on June 8th of this year from cancer. We hav been dealing with it for a year and God called her home.

I will probably create a cache site where she will be memorialized but do not think a special cache type is needed. Too many type makes it hard to manage in the ui and will probably slow things down eventually.

My mom liked caching and has a multi hidden in celias rainbow garden. That is where we will be sprinkling her.

So memorializing a person in a cache is a good idea but a regular cache or multi would be fine. I know virtuals are not being created right now but that could be another option/exception. A way for us to place a cache but not require a container.

Sorry about your mom but Virtual caches are still being listed. Please dont continue to spread this mistaken belief, I listed one a few weeks ago.

OT I know but I hate that people keep spreading this bad information.

I wonder how the folks who don't like caching in a cemetary Cemetary caches would react to memorial caches...the places where people actually passed on as opposed to being laid to rest...

sorry for the slightly off topic observation, but i couldn't resist.

Personally i think memorial caches would be great. I've been thinking of doing a multi up here along those lines...There's a group up here called Our Angels In Heaven which give support to families who lost a loved one tragically...typically children. Each year on, or about, the anniversary of the creation of the group they organize a Memorial Ride and get a bunch of people together as well as the media and visit a selection of memorials and perform a service etc etc...for about the past year the group has been somewhat inactive (from what i've seen) so it looks like even the memorialers sometimes forget.

A multi-cache would help liven everyone up again and fit right in with their agenda.

I wonder how the folks who don't like caching in a cemetary Cemetary caches would react to memorial caches...the places where people actually passed on as opposed to being laid to rest...

I have made the restriction not to use cemetaries because personally I also would not like to see people with electronic devices run for caches in a quiet place like this - a lot of people would propably feel offended if people would use graveyards as a destination for family excursions, especially if a few start digging beneath for hidden treasures... :lol:

Thanks for all the valuable input btw.

I start to like the travel bug idea and also the multi cache sounds promising, maybe some sort of a life trail. However one has to be careful because on such a personal trail the borderline between public and private is rather thin.

As to a seperate cache type I had the feeling that the world is full of interesting destinies, good and bad, and people might make conclusions for their own lifes. And if people would like to do this concentrating those caches in a seperate type makes it easier to find them and it makes clear that those are not for trading.

It might bring people closer together making the world a smaller but more interesting place but it also might not. So it starts becoming highly philosophic here :lol:

I don't demand a seperate cache type, in fact I have not even decided myself if one is needed. I am just putting it to discussion.

Thanks,

Oliver