Garmin Receivers...is The Screen Glass Or Plastic?

I hate to caste doubt on wickedspirit's answer, by I seem to remember reading here in the forums that DEET will fog or dull the screen of a 60C. DEET melts some plastics, but is safe on glass. This would lead me to believe that the screen is not glass.

Best bet may be to e-mail Garmin tech support.

I hate to caste doubt on wickedspirit's answer, by I seem to remember reading here in the forums that DEET will fog or dull the screen of a 60C. DEET melts some plastics, but is safe on glass. This would lead me to believe that the screen is not glass.

Wickedspirit was correct in that the outer screen is plastic.

My first Garmin (yellow eTrex) got scratched up really bad. It just doesn't hold up well as a skid plate down a gravel road :ph34r: I went down to Tap Plastics and got some polishing compound and worked it for a while. Most of the scratches came out, but it is a very hard plastic, so it takes some work to get it out.

I bought a screen protector from Brando for my Vista C. They don't make them for GPSrs, so I bought one for a random PDA and cut it to fit. It is the bet screen protector I've ever used--TOTALLY clear with no bubbles or distortion. If it weren't for the edge, you'd never know there was a protector on--really, it's that good.

I second Round Robin's use of PDA screen protectors. They work fantastic.

I use them on both of my units, and just cut 'em down to size. I need to replace the one on my Rino - it's been DEETed a few times and is kind of foggy, as well as a few "skid marks" from branches that would have ordinarily scratched the scrren.

The screen itself is fine, no scratches.

Can't beat the cost, either. Very cheap.

Sorry--I misunderstood WS's post.

Are these screen protectors hard or flexible plastic?

They list so many models that I'm sure I could go down to the local Best Buy with a scale and find one of the cellphones or digital camers with the same size screen as my GPSr.

I went to Best Buy and got the Fellows "WriteRight" micro thin screen protectors Universal.... They are bendable and self sticky... You get 12 sheets and once you figure out how to put them on you can get 3 or 4 60C sized screens out of each sheet.... bubbles are not my problem, but dog hairs and lint are... :lol: