Briansnat, Carleenp, Team Gpsaxophone…

Some people change their avatars often. Actually, I find this somewhat annoying (because I’m getting old, and set in my ways); I get used to seeing that image over in the left hand corner, and I get lazy and rely on it to identify who’s speaking.

But some of the most prolific, respected posters (and Jeremy) change their forum fingerprints regularly, making it very confusing to keep up with the important hot topics and who’s saying what.

Recently I was looking at an old topic about avatars (there have been many, including various contests), and I reminisced about some of the old avatars associated with various cachers.

Unfortunately (or maybe not), when an old avatar is replaced, there is no history available. Look at a two-year-old post, and it shows a (possibly) one-day-old avatar. In the topic linked above, much of the rhetoric makes no sense because of this.

Are you an abuser? How has your avatar evolved? Mine is pretty simple:

It started out in black and white. I added color to the moon, 119047_1900.JPG and later more color (current). :D:P

I hate change: except for my background screen on my computer, my screensaver (I use the "my picture slideshow"), and my avatar. I change those all the time. Whenever I go out on another outing, I use those pics for my background and screensaver.

Being a product of Cheers does not help with the avatars, though. :P

I agree. I wish that all the avatars remained the same in the post that you were using them. That way everything stays relevant.

My avatar has always been Yoshi but I dress him up a bit at different times of the year:

Hunting Season

72d7b614-267a-423a-a83f-bf1c6731d377.jpg

Christmas

3bfa2b16-a4b2-414b-8658-683b21e75928.jpg

New Years

b302866e-e11d-4b30-be4f-96d9ba8a18ce.jpg

I have plans to create variations for other seasons such as July 4th, St Patricks Day, Valentine's Day and my birthday.

If any of you photoshop wizards care to take a crack at any of the above mentioned themes, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I request that a moderator close this thread or move it to a more appropriate forum.

Previous avatar discussions have been allowed to stay in the Geocaching Topics forum. If you don't like it, there's a little "X" on the top right of this window. Feel free to click it.

I dispute that assertion.

Emus have never been allowed to be discussed in Geocaching Topics. Avatars have :P

Read the whole topic. It is a discussion about using emu's as avatars.

Ive had my avator since i got started here. Its simple and basic, just the way i like most things to be in life.

Makes no difference to me when someone else changes their avator. Im just not sure why they do. An avator represents a person and to me it seems they would want that representation to stay the same and be recognizeable to others. Yes, there will be changes in a person's life when they may want to change their avator but i wouldnt think this would come about too often. There are many out there who like change! :ph34r:

I've had two. The first one was nixed by somebody important. The second one is a picture of my son--my usual geocaching partner--sitting on an old Farmall tractor that we found sitting in a small junkyard.

He thinks that he's going to talk the old man who owns it into selling it.

"I'm going to call him and pester him on the phone for six months until he sells. . ."

Yeah, that's just what we need in the driveway. A tractor.

BTW, it's a 1957 model 350, and it appears to be fairly complete, although the engine is stuck. Maybe we could do something with it. Stop it, stop it! Time to go caching!

On edit: Oh yeah, I forgot the funniest part--the part that's actually on topic. I haven't changed my avatar in a long time because I don't remember how I got the one I have now on there, and it would take me too long to figure out how to change it.

Edited by Balboagirl

Some of my favorites over the years:

39219_300.jpg39219_500.jpg39219_6000.jpg86540591-8c80-48be-ba26-181c3221eff5.jpg

I've had some interesting reactions about some of these avatars. :lol:

But, Dick, consistent or not, I'll say it again, outhouses do not have septic tanks.

Sheesh. :ph34r:

Bret

Edited by CYBret

Sorry Sept1c, but I enjoy abusing my avatar. It is the dark side of me! :ph34r:

I see your point about a constant avatar allowing for recognition, but it really doesn't bother me much when people change, I always eventually read the name and see who it is. :lol:

I always like to see new avatars. I don't have one yet...but maybe someday :ph34r: And, then I probably won't change it ...unless it has a theme to it.

Oh! I just noticed that I'm the first to post on this thread with NO Avatar at all!!! :lol:

Edited by TCE

I also enjoy the changing avatar scenery, although I don't do it much myself.

But I have long believed that when the regulars change their avatars, it's not random - it's part of a secret code used to pass important messages back and forth to each other without the rest of us knowing. If you look really closely at the avatars, you'll find signs of hidden symbols everywhere. Very clever stuff.

Of course, no one is likely to fess up to this.

In honor of this thread, I've switched my avatar back to Professor Utonium.  Professor Utonium says, "have a fun discussion!"

Gawd, what a relief. That frog-headed Bubbles thing gave me the jim-jams.

Sept1c, I had it in the back of my mind to start a thread like this. I don't remember names well, I read WAY too many sites, and I tend to get people confused at the best of times. I wasn't going to ask anyone to stop doing it, though. Just to point out that, however illogical, a good deal of how I feel about posters (at least initially) has to do with what I think of their avatars. And, if you change yours often, I'm apt to forget who you are.

So if I had a blazing row with you last week, and I'm nice as pie this week, it's not because my sunny good nature moved me to forgive and forget. It's because I was so distracted by that frog-headed Bubbles thing I got brain-lock.

How funny. I turned off avatars 2+ years ago and I'd completely forgotten that they exist. I recognize people who post by their nicknames. Then again, my obsession for finding sodden tupperware has abated so I don't hang out in the forums much these days.

Although I have been caching for 3 1/2 years, I have only been really using the forums for about 8 months now so I have only used 2 avatars - my current one and the muppet professor. I've been working on a new one that is similar to my current one but more colorful and with a few other changes.

I too get confused sometimes when they change but I usually remember to look at the names. However, the April 1 switch really threw me for loop - messed me up all day!

Although I change mine occasionally, my avatar is almost always me.

I change mine occasionally as well... but it is usually never me, and if it IS, it's usually not there for long.

Don't wanna toot my own horn, ya know? :lol:

-=-

michelle

What have you got against horny people? :ph34r:

I'm afraid of the nude photos that might show up in my email.

:lol:

-=-

michelle

When I first started posting in these forums, I would draw a conclusion to the gender of other posters based on their avatars.

I'm always disappointed when I go to an event and people don't look exactly like their avatars.

I some cases I would be very relieved to see that they don't look like their avatars! :ph34r:

I've already changed my avatar since I posted in here last!  B)

<shame!> Abuser! </shame!> B):lol:

Well, now. :P

Do you wear the same clothes every day? :lol: I think not! :ph34r:

Oh but you do wear the same face every day. :D

The avitar is a quick way to skim posts. There are some people who's posts I always read. Other posts I may skip or read depending on their first sentance or two. When everyone changes Avitars it takes some time to adjust. For some people though they change avitars so often you can't ever adjust so you end up skimming half by name and half by avitar.

i change my avatar whenever i darn well feel like it. it is always some form of flamingo....

You bring up something I didn't mention. Since you (and a few others) use a theme you also look for posts by themes and not so much the one specific avitar.

This is getting comples. It's like cache hide styles.

When I first started posting in these forums, I would draw a conclusion to the gender of other posters based on their avatars.

I'm always disappointed when I go to an event and people don't look exactly like their avatars.

I some cases I would be very relieved to see that they don't look like their avatars! :ph34r:

at the geobash you will see that i am not "tall, pink and cranky". i am "short, white and cranky". :lol:

i change my avatar whenever i darn well feel like it.  it is always some form of flamingo....

You bring up something I didn't mention. Since you (and a few others) use a theme you also look for posts by themes and not so much the one specific avitar.

This is getting comples. It's like cache hide styles.

I try to stick to the theme of anime, cartoon or manga women (many are from the same anime). But when Cheers has avatar days then I often go for a pikachu avatar that fits the theme.

I also enjoy the changing avatar scenery, although I don't do it much myself.

But I have long believed that when the regulars change their avatars, it's not random - it's part of a secret code used to pass important messages back and forth to each other without the rest of us knowing. If you look really closely at the avatars, you'll find signs of hidden symbols everywhere. Very clever stuff.

Of course, no one is likely to fess up to this.

Oh, I really like that idea!

As for changing avatars, I worked on mine for several weeks before I got it just right. Originally, the cat face was drawn in black, but people said it looked like the Grinch, so I changed it to white. I like the one I have now, and have no intention of changing it. But I don't have a problem with others changing theirs, either! Hey! Its a free country, and there is the ability to change it built in to the site, so, I say, change away, any time you like!