Photo size 100K?

Tony and Charlotte

Adobe Photoshop & Photo Elements both have wizards to help you get the file size down and publish to the web. With photoshop open the image and choose save for web. You can always tweak it on your own but if your a novice with graphic work the wizard should be pretty helpful to you.

-------------------------------------

Hope is the destination that we seek.

Love is the road that leads to hope.

Courage is the motor that drives us.

We travel out of darkness into faith.

-=The Book Of Counted Sorrows=-

If you're in a Windows environment...

Quick, free (and a little dirty) way would be to go to the Paint program in Windows (Start, Programs, Accessories, Paint. Open the image file (make sure you choose the right file type).

You can shrink the image by choosing Image, Stretch/Skew and change the percentages to some lower (but equal number).

Make sure you do a "Save As" and not a "Save!" You wouldn't want to lose the good quality shot. Also make sure it's saved as a JPG file as stated above.

The file size will be GREATLY reduced, as when you resave the file, the Windows Paint program uses a higher-than-average compression on its JPGs.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Pain shop pro is also a pretty good windows graphics app that offers a free trial. www.jasc.com might be worth checking out if you don't have photoshop and don't want to spend the cash on it.

-------------------------------------

Hope is the destination that we seek.

Love is the road that leads to hope.

Courage is the motor that drives us.

We travel out of darkness into faith.

-=The Book Of Counted Sorrows=-

quote:
Originally posted by Paul & Suzanne:

Cropping and re-sizing are the easiest ways to reduce the file sizes.

I tried cropping some images and they looked awful on the web site because the web site resizes them they became very pixilated. What have you found to be the best size in pixels for images?

I use Adobe Photoshop 7.0

Open your photo, then click "File", then click "Save for web". Your photo will then show in different resolutions for you to pick the one you want. Select the photo you want that is under 100K, and save on your drive. This saves the photo in a lower resolution reducing the size. Usually you cannot even see the difference in the quality of the photo.

quote:
Originally posted by IMLost:

I tried cropping some images and they looked awful on the web site because the web site resizes them they became very pixilated. What have you found to be the best size in pixels for images?

Try hitting your refresh button on that page. The website does resize the pix for 300 pix wide. If the pics are narrower than that, they'll enlarge them.

However, if your pix are more than 300 pixels wide and your still getting "pixelization" there is a known bug where the site goofs the first time something like that is viewed. Hit the refresh button and all should be well.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

The website does resize the pix for 300 pix wide. If the pics are narrower than that, they'll enlarge them.

However, if your pix are more than 300 pixels wide and your still getting "pixelization" there is a known bug where the site goofs the first time something like that is viewed. Hit the refresh button and all should be well.

That's what I thought thanks for comfirming this I have been trying to make my pictures 300 pixels and they have been showing up fine. I settled on 300 pixels through trial and error.

One other note if you are saving pictures to only be viewed on a computer and not printed you should save them at 72 DPI resolution. A computer can't display more than that anyway and it will really knock down the file size.