3 Points For Speeding

Just had a letter from those fine folks at the Cheshire Constabulary who noticed me travelling at 47mph in a 40mph limit on the M6 while heading to "Carry on Camping". They've awarded me three points, thankfully I'm not a numbers man for licence points :mad:

Still, every cloud and all that - isn't there a locationless cache for this sort of thing?

ah, that would be telling... but I did do some caches on the way home!

Trainer : So, after the course, where would you not speed again

Attendee 1 : past a school

Attendee 2 : along a country lane

Attendee 3 : in a residential street

Alibags : past a speed camera, that's for sure!!

disclaimer: I do not endorse breaking the speed limit. It's very silly and dangerous and can cost you points and fines.

ah, that would be telling... but I did do some caches on the way home!

Trainer : So, after the course, where would you not speed again

Attendee 1 : past a school

Attendee 2 : along a country lane

Attendee 3 : in a residential street

Alibags : past a speed camera, that's for sure!!

disclaimer: I do not endorse breaking the speed limit. It's very silly and dangerous and can cost you points and fines.

That is just sooooooooooo funny !!!! :mad::D Am sitting here laughing my head off :D:D:D

P.S I am on 9 points .......I have to be so carefull.....and before anyone says anything YES I KNOW SPEEDING IS STUPID AND DANGEROUS........I will not do it again :D

NES xxxxxx

Actually, all joking aside, it was quite an interesting eye opener, the course, for example just how many people had only the vaguest idea what the speed limits actually are!

here's another actual exchange

Trainer : How would you rate your driving out of ten?

Attendee 1 : er 6.5

Attendee 2 : probably about 8

Attendee 3 : 5

Alibags : three weeks of the month - 9.9, the other week of the month - about 1.5

Edited by Alibags

Three points for me too - My first since 1997, so I guess it could have been worse. I can live with that but I had other (better!) plans for the £60 I've been fined. :P

Unmarked police van with a camera facing up a hill, just beyond the start of a 30 zone which was poorly signposted. You have to admire them for picking such an 'accident' black spot. If I didn't know better, I'd have thought they picked that spot because of 'easy pickings'...

But hooray! I was nabbed in Milton Keynes where I'd been caching that day. :D

SP

:P Got my collar felt by the Rozzers on the Isle of Wight. They Zapped me with their 'Star Wars' lazer gun from 200yrds as I came over the brow of a hill, on an empty country road, as we were going to put a TB in a cache :D

Maybe I should have asked to see the calibration date in the gun or suggested that the batteries were faulty. :D .

Did n't get the offer to join any fast ladies, only an invite to the Policemans Ball at £60 a ticket with 3 points thrown in. :D

There's a very sneaky one near us, there is about 200 yds of 30 MPH on one of the only national speed limit roads in the area. Quite right that the limit is there, it's a very nasty blind T junction.

But the camera is quite difficult to see, and set on a hair trigger. Us regulars know it's there, but the other night at about midnight it fired as I went past. I'm sure I was doing 28 by my speedo, which as we know means I must have been doing even less.

However, there were some boy racers going the other way, i.e. not on the side that the camera is on, and not the side with the measurement marks.

Could they have triggered the camera? I'm now checking the post every morning for the letter, even though I'm sure that I was well under.

However, there were some boy racers going the other way, i.e. not on the side that the camera is on, and not the side with the measurement marks.

Could they have triggered the camera?  I'm now checking the post every morning for the letter, even though I'm sure that I was well under.

My understanding is that standard gatso (the ones with the flash) cameras will only trigger for cars going away from them.

Only 1 in 8 camera boxes actually have the internal camera and radar system installed, as these are quite expensive. Some of the dummy sites have a radar system and flash installed, but not the camera. These cheaper radar units are not as intelligent as the real thing, and can be triggerred by oncoming traffic.

If you're sure that you were below the limit, and you do get a notice of intent to prosecute (NIP), then contact them and explain what you think happenned, they should already have checked your speed by the markings on the road, but they have been known to calculate this incorrectly.

If you're really sure you weren't speeding, and they insist you were, let them take you to court. They'll have to provide the evidence of your speed (the two photos taken one second apart), and you can then prove that you weren't.

Of course, there are more and more cameras appearing which take the picture as you come towards them, and use an infra-red flash, so you can't even tell if you've triggerred it (these are the ones with two circular openings on the front)

Lots more info about speed traps at the speed trap bible

edit: Oh, and don't forget: If they take more than 14 days to send you the letter, you've got away with it.

Edited by NickPick

do what ive just done........

spend 50 notes on Ebay getting a snooper, and avoid those fines and points.

i really wouldnt mind if i thought it was all for road safety, but it seems its a way of ripping us all off for using our cars. how many times have you been in a 30 zone, and clocked your speed and its 34mph? suddenly you are a criminal.............catch the muggers, murderers. rapists and other lowlifes mr policeman.

now, can i get off my soapbox in a dignified manner? ooops....no.....tripped and fell!

I'm a naughty boy :o

sitting on my last warning with 9 points :o

i used to travel to work to southport at the time via parbold hill, west lancs off Jcn 27 M6,

and there is a nasty camera near the bottom of this very steep hill,

i knew it was there but at 6 am on a sat morning it caught me doing 35!!! in the 30 zone down the hill, which as anyone local will confirm is the steepest road in the area.

Ah well :)

Good old Thames Valley Police, just love them!!

Caching exploits hit a major problem yesterday, I've got oil coming out of the radiator of the Astra Van, problem? :lol:

On the M40, very early morning 05:30 was pulled over.

Policeperson:- Excuse me sir, what are you not supposed to do while driving?

Me:-Speed

Policeperson:-No sir!

Me:-Err, Drink

Policeperson:- No Sir!!!

Me:-Err, Err Eat an apple (Thinking of a recent case)

Policeperson:-No Sir!!!!!

Me:-Steer with my knees, while trying to get the last few crumbs out of a bag of crisps!!!

Policeperson:-Don't be funny sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me:-OK, I give up can I phone a friend?

Policeperson:-Very close, using your mobile phone!!!

Me:-But I've got a hands free kit?

Policeperson:-We saw you doing something strange with your ear, sir!!!!!

Me:-I might have been scratching it?????!!

Policeperson:-YOU BEING FUNNY MATE, DO YOU THINK WE WOULD STOP YOU FOR SCRATCHING YOU EAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!sir!!!!!!!!!!

Me:-But you just have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!p*g!!!!

Policeperson:- I am reporting you for driving without due care and attention. We have video evidence that clearly shows you driving at 70.00000000001 mph while scratching your ear!!!

Me:-Beam me up Scotty

Scary thing is, it's all true :D:P

Which means you can speed on the M40, pissed out of your brains, steer with you knees while getting the crumbs out of a bag of crisps but DON'T scratch your ear :lol:

Nick