Pictures On The Gc.com Homepage

SCP-173

How are the pictures displayed in the top banner of the geocaching site chosen? I've noticed that they're always really good ones. I don't think I've ever seen a "bad" picture on there.

Thats because a real person picks them. Not a computer.

Some things are still better done manualy

The images are generally chosen by a few folks within Groundspeak. We have a tool to help us browse through the recent images and crop them so they look good on the front page. It only takes a few minutes to pick a few to add to the list. There are generally 20 or so in rotation at any given time.

We do store a list of all the images we have chosen for the front page. It has been a low priority item but we do plan to have a gallery where you can browse through the current and past images.

I have to second the kudos since I was initially critical of the quality and choices.

Now I've seen no poorly exposed images, better framing and cropping, and images that compliment each other.

A dramatic and vast improvement! Very impressive...

Thanks all,

Randy

images that compliment each other.

This always makes me smile.

It's completely random too, so the images are just being complimentary to each other without knowing who they are. We could learn a lot from these images. :lol:

Somebody who majored in psychology could probably give a better explaination of why the images appear to compliment each other. I think there are two reasons

1. The images are two different sizes. The smaller square tends to compliment the larger rectangle no matter what appears in them.

2. Since the pictures are selected they tend to have similar qualities so the chance that random pairing seem to complement each other is increased. In fact, the pictures are selected to be representative of geocaching in someway. Even when two completely unrelated pictures are paired, your brain will try to connect them in someway and it will because they both represent geocaching.

Someone who majored in English could probably better explain the difference between "compliment" and "complement", but I will try.

Image 1 Compliments Image 2: "Hello there, Image 2. My, you are looking sharp today. Your color depth and contrast are just to die for. You've really got it goin' on!"

Image 1 Complements Image 2: The left hand image is a picture of a bear charging from left to right at a full run, with teeth bared. The right hand image is a picture of Mopar holding a bucket of chicken wings.