Google Maps

herbk

Google Maps have a search function, advertised as the way to locate an address, a resturant, etc. Without any great expectations, I tried entering into the search window the following: N 37 23.473 W 122 12.676. Lo and behold, I got a map whose center was the stated location. Unfortunately, the point isn't marked, but I can easily print the map and locate the center by drawing diagonal lines from corner to corner. This can be a useful assist in some instances. It certainly helped me find the trailhead for a cache.

Hey! That's (good) news to me, too! I use mapping software all the time, but I guess I'm not enough of a google-geek to have heard of the Lat/Long lookup. This'll save me from going to MapQuest so often - I just love Google Maps!

Thanks for the mention.

..Chris..

Oh, something odd about google maps... Last Thursday I printed out a map of my area, with the location of 4 parks on it.

Today, looking at the same area, two of those parks are 'missing', and a 5th one that wasn't there before showed up.

Just something to consider if using gm for cache hunting. Although I have seen mislabled and moved parks on the gc.com maps, too. But not magically appearing and dissapearing parks!

Edited by EleriandBlade

In my opinion the link to TopoZone on cache pages is the best free maps to use in locating areas. Not only does it give you the terrain features but also marks buildings and streets along with the search and mark feature. Actually this was how I found my first cache, just using the TopoZone map :lol:

Oh, something odd about google maps... Last Thursday I printed out a map of my area, with the location of 4 parks on it.

Today, looking at the same area, two of those parks are 'missing', and a 5th one that wasn't there before showed up.

Just something to consider if using gm for cache hunting. Although I have seen mislabled and moved parks on the gc.com maps, too. But not magically appearing and dissapearing parks!

That's why it says "Google Maps BETA at the top of the page. They're still working on it, and as they do;things tend to come and go and change a lot.

Yeah! But not the way you want. I tried doing a search for the Washington Hospital Center in DC and it gave me every hospital and some other places. They all showed up as pegs. The only way I could just get the one peg for the *right* hospital was to enter the actual street address.

I"m sure that won't help you directly, but if there is a way you can get a search to return your points, they can all be pegged.