Our First Cache, and why we are doing it!

happierr

Well we did our first cache today!!!!

This is the one we did CLICK HERE

It was fun, we learned much as to the type of equipment we need to do this. We need some bug repellant. I believe I ate my weight in knats, MMmmmm. We also need a real compass, the GPS becomes a pain the rear, when you get right on top of it, and you are fine tuning your position.

Wanted to share with you all why we are doing this. We are a couple, no kids, and we have a pair of friends who are also a couple. All of us use to be a lot more active, but as we became older, and bogged down in life, we did less and less, and gained more and more.

We thought this would be a good thing to do because it gets us out of the house, away from PC’s, and email and work (Two of use, work for a very invasive company that frowns on not checking your email at 3 times a day, every day) We get out and hike, but not just to walk, but now we have a purpose as to why we are out here. It really gives your hike a finishing point. The cache we did today was a hard (For a first time cache) off the path, and required some rock climbing. After we were done, we were hot, sweaty, and tired!

Thank you all for doing this, We love it!

OUTSTANDING!!! CONGRATS!!!

I do not geocache a lot, because there are not a lot of geocaches in the area. But I hike whenever I can. Over 110 hours hiking so far this year. Just let them know your doctor has suggested more exercise, mild hiking on weekends, walking on weekdays, and then go do it.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

LOL. Ahh, I know what you mean.I keep watching the way all the businesses are treating their slaves, I mean EMPLOYEES. They know everyone needs their jobs. Guess what you imperialist pigs, people aren't going to tolerate the crap forever.

the cult I was indentured to changed my whole job description, giving me A TON of new responsibility. I relearned in two days a month worth of training. Two weeks later, end of my shift thursday, the foreman told me the next day was my last till further notice. Its been 2 months and counting so far, and trust me, when they call and expect me to come running to their aid (there are 3 fellas retiring thie end of the year, half that department) I'll be safely in the midst of a new career. OOPS, so sorry domineering former slave drivers.

Two roads diverged in the woods and I,

I took the one less traveled,

and that is how I found the cache.

You're not alone, Happierr. I too am getting to that golden age (56)where every item of food I look at puts pounds on. And the food that I actually eat really does a number. I used to count the days until I retire, now I try to estimate how much I'll weigh when I retire. Geocaching is also helping me to get up and get out and get some excersize. So,Good luck to us both.

What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?

Congratulations on your first cache! We (wife and I) have only found 4 to date. I can identify with your situation. WE are 57 and 50.Our kids are grown and 350 miles away. Geocaching gets us out, for quality time together along with the exercise. We hiked 6 miles on Mothers Day. I am particularly enjoying the learning curve associated with the new activity. There is still a lot to learn. Good Luck!

quote:
Originally posted by happierr:

We need some bug repellant. I believe I ate my weight in knats, MMmmmm.

As my buddy Tonsil remarked during an especially buggy cache hunt last weekend, "The more gnats you swallow, the less there are to annoy you. And they're a good protein source."

A tip when you get close: put the GPS away and quit looking at the arrow. Search the likely hiding spots. If you don't find the cache, walk away and approach again. Using a compass is also a good idea if the reception is bad, etc.

Welcome to geocaching, and have fun!

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

quote:

I did not see it in there, but because I was a Geo-Virgin, I would not want to commit to a whole bug!

"Geo-Virgin" LOL! That brings a whole NEW type of caching to mind!

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

quote:

Well we did our first cache today!!!!

This is the one we did http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=10231

It was fun, we learned much as to the type of equipment we need to do this. We need some bug repellant. I believe I ate my weight in knats, MMmmmm. We also need a real compass, the GPS becomes a pain the rear, when you get right on top of it, and you are fine tuning your position.

Wanted to share with you all why we are doing this. We are a couple, no kids, and we have a pair of friends who are also a couple. All of us use to be a lot more active, but as we became older, and bogged down in life, we did less and less, and gained more and more.

We thought this would be a good thing to do because it gets us out of the house, away from PC’s, and email and work (Two of use, work for a very invasive company that frowns on not checking your email at 3 times a day, every day) We get out and hike, but not just to walk, but now we have a purpose as to why we are out here. It really gives your hike a finishing point. The cache we did today was a hard (For a first time cache) off the path, and required some rock climbing. After we were done, we were hot, sweaty, and tired!

Thank you all for doing this, We love it!

That sounds just like our family! get away from all this computers, tv's etc. back to nature and sweating but enjoying it! Family and quiet time is very important in this day an age.

I just stumbled on geocaching while browsing the web. 4 hours later and I'm a premium member and am joining the local chapter. I love hiking and this just adds to the fun. My wife and I are very excited and looking forward to our first cache!

?Lissenen ar' maska'lalaith tenna' lye omentuva

Sweet water and light laughter till next we meet? - Elven Farewell

I am going on my first Cache in less then 2 hours. I can't wait. My friend Night Hunter is taking me. After we are going to the Pre-launch Geocaching Challenge in San Diego. What a great way to get out and see parts of my city I never knew existed. Can I make my first cache a "first find?" Wouldn't I be so lucky.