1 Map Source For 2 Gps Units?

Depends. Mapsource City Select you can put it on two units, but that's it. Mapsource Topo, Metroguide and Roads and Recreation can go on as many units as you have. There is no limit.

Also, can I buy a lower version on ebay or from someone and get the upgrade from the garmin website?

I think Garmin will let you upgrade if you buy it after the new version has been released. I'm sure this only applies however to software purchased from an authorized dealer.

Edited by briansnat

2nd question first - 1st question last:

2. MapSource is the program interface that manages maps, waypoints, tracks and routes. You get the MapSource program with any Garmin map product that you buy. The free upgrade from Garmin only updates the MapSource program - It will not do anything for the map data that you buy.

If you buy MetroGuide 4, download and install the FREE MAPSOURCE UPDATE, then you're going to have old MetroGuide 4 data managed by a newer MapSource program (with lots of nice new features)

1. Some MapSource products can functionally be installed on as many Garmin GPSrs as you want to load them on - though you would be violating the License agreement. Other products require unlocking to the GPSr, and you get to install those on a limit of 2 GPSrs.

Products that require unlocking include City Select, City Navigator, Blue Charts.

Products that do NOT require unlocking include MetroGuide, Topo (USA), WorldMap, Roads & Recreation, Waterways & Lights, Points of Interest.