This Could Happen To Cachers With Dogs

When recently visiting a local cache to drop off a TB, I entered a field with Trixie via a stile which is on a public foot path. Due to the shape of the field and the fact that it forms a hill in the middle, I could not see that a herd of cows were in situ. It was only when I heard them charging and felt the ground rumble did I become aware that they were there. I picked up Trixie just in time to face aproximatly 25 cows charging at me, luckily enough they just seemed curios. But having them charging at me was a frightening experience for both of us. In future if my route takes me into a field where cows are present I will abandon my search, as just having a herd charge towards me out of curiosity is not a experiance I ever want to go through again!

Dave

It's happened to me plenty of times. With lots of trigpoints being on farm land, I tend to be on less used paths. If in doubt I always let Jake off his lead (If he is on it) He will be waiting for me at the stile or gate when I get there. I do feel it's normally curiosity more than anger. But all animals can be unpredictable, so watch out.

It's just when you go back, the way you came and they are waiting for you.

fe36537c-8938-401a-9af0-3a934b3adc7b.jpg

Makes for good photos though

P17998.jpg

P19151.jpg

Edited by Deego

I don't have a dog, but I do have wee man and I would never venture into a field of cows with him on my own (although I have been caught out a couple of times recently but luckily managed to stay close to the field edge so we could escape if necessary - even so the adrenalin was pumping through me and my heart thumping until we were safely out of the actual field). My Dad was chased by a bull when I was young and the look on his face even after he'd come home was so frightening for me that I have never trusted either bulls or cows since. This has caused lots of cache hunts (and even a placement) to be abandoned halfway through, when I have suddenly come across a field of them. In fact, last year I deliberately left caches that mention you have to pass through cow or bull fields until the winter when I hoped that the beasts would be in byres/barns or whatever instead of out in the field.

I'm afraid that this story just confirms my opinion that they are unpredictable and EVIL!

I heard about this on the radio today when I was caching in the Coventry - Nuneaton areas. I got "muggled" by 2 different heards of bullocks on two different caches! Interestingly on a third cache a herd of young cows wanted little to do with me, must be "boys being boys" thing. Fortunately there were no adult cattle about (wouldn't risk it if there were, accidental killings by cattle are all too frequent at this time of year) and the cattle back off if you just walk towards them with your arms out a little talking to them.

Remember:- Dont' run and keep dogs on a lead.

cows can be dangerous beasts I have been chased half a mile by a demented cow that decided I had stolen its calf (it was actually my dog) The farmer had taken the calf away from its mum so the vet could check it and the cow decided the black and white dog was its baby and i had stolen it. The cow leapt a big metal gate to get out of the feild and chased me all the way down my road and I had to hide in an old farm building untill it passed, By the time I called the farmer the cow had made about 2 miles away trying to find me.. Man I love a nice steak :mad:

Deego wrote: " If in doubt I always let Jake off his lead (If he is on it) He will be waiting for me at the stile or gate when I get there. "

Well, sorry Deego, but if you mean what you wrote you are an utterly irresponsible fool who should never be let loose in the countryside. We spend a lot of time in the countryside and never cease to be amazed at some of the morons who own dogs. Time and time again they ignore notices that dogs should be on leads - we have been seriously messed around on countless occasions whilst out trying to enjoy some peace and quiet. "It's OK, he won't bite" is no consolation when some undisciplined mutt is climbing all over us and to let a dog loose amongst cattle is complete lunacy. A few weeks ago on one of our local farms a dog was charging amongst some new lambs whilst the utter prat of a woman owner stood by the fence watching - it's lead hanging uselessly in her hand. The farmer should have shot the dog, then her.

Cows are remarkably placid creatures - we walk amongst then frequently. When they have calves we steer a wide birth so that we do not cause them concern. We have never experienced any problems at all.

We spend a lot of time in the countryside and never cease to be amazed at some of the morons who own dogs. Time and time again they ignore notices that dogs should be on leads - we have been seriously messed around on countless occasions whilst out trying to enjoy some peace and quiet. "It's OK, he won't bite" is no consolation when some undisciplined mutt is climbing all over us

I have to agree with that part.

A minority of dog owners are giving the rest a bad name and don't appreciate that, just because they love dogs, not everybody else does.

There's nothing more frightening for a small child than to see a large dog bounding towards them and jumping up at them.

When the owner finally catches up with the dog, saying "he's only playing/he's just being friendly/he won't hurt you" etc isn't a great deal of consolation.

As I said - it's the minority, but it's getting regular!

When I was learning to fly I was given this snippet of vital information:

Cows and sheep are dumb - landing in a field with livestock is also dumb. Sheep scatter, cows dont - and they are big and heavy. Hitting a cow is painful for you and the aircraft. If you manage to land safely in a field with cows - remember that are not just dumb but also curious - and will probably trample the aircraft even if you do land safely.

Lesson: cows are bad news

Cows are generally docile and friendly, except when they have young calves, which they'll do anything to protect.

They're also very curious, which is why they come and investigate you. We once parked our car in a field of cows (The farmer told us it was OK), and from up the hill we were climbing, we couldn't see the car as it was surrounded by cows. When we got back, they had licked every square inch of it - it was no longer muddy, but covered in cow spit!

As for letting the dog off it's lead, if you need to get away from the cows, the dog will run away first, giving them something to concentrate on while you make stroll casually away.

If in doubt I always let Jake off his lead (If he is on it) He will be waiting for me at the stile or gate when I get there. I

The general rule is "Keep your dog on a lead".

The trouble with cows is that they want to trample your dog, and if you are tied to the other end of the lead they will probably trample you too. Let the dog off and it will get out of the way, they are not that stupid, and the cows will usually then leave you alone. Its one of the times when the rules don't always apply.

My friend is a beef farmer in Somerset. He has a vicious killer attack cow called 'Bambi'. She was cute as a calf apparently. Even Andy is very very wary of her. However, you can still safely cross the field that she is in, with her calf, if you are sensible (and carry a big stick). The general advice is to appear non threatening, so this includes not walking staright at the cows, keeping your eyes averted, dogs on leads, etc. If anybody feels threatened by approaching cattle, shouts and stick waving will make them back off, for a while at least. Keep calm and dont panic and you should be okay.

Well, sorry Deego, but if you mean what you wrote you are an utterly irresponsible fool who should never be let loose in the countryside.  We spend a lot of time in the countryside and never cease to be amazed at some of the morons who own dogs.

As the Post is about cows attacking, That's what I was referring to. When being charged at by a cow / or cows. It's normally the dog they are interested in, by letting him go, they will follow the dog who is a lot faster than I am.

I am not a moron dog owner and I also spend a lot of time in the countryside, as does my dog.

I think you should read the forum guidelines, as your post came very close to a personal attack and I felt very offended by it.

I have cats as well, I dont let the dog chase them either :mad:

From the countryside agency

Countryside Code - advice for the public

Be safe - plan ahead and follow any signs

Leave gates and property as you find them

Protect plants and animals, and take your litter home

Keep dogs under close control

Consider other people

From the ramblers.org.uk

Keep dogs under close control

The countryside is a great place to exercise dogs, but it’s every owner’s duty to make sure their dog is not a danger or nuisance to farm animals, wildlife or other people.

By law, you must control your dog so that it does not disturb or scare farm animals or wildlife. You must keep your dog on a short lead on most areas of open country and common land between 1 March and 31 July, and at all times near farm animals.

You do not have to put your dog on a lead on public paths, as long as it is under close control. But as a general rule, keep your dog on a lead if you cannot rely on its obedience. By law, farmers are entitled to destroy a dog that injures or worries their animals.

If a farm animal chases you and your dog, it is safer to let your dog off the lead - don’t risk getting hurt by trying to protect it.

Edited by Deego

That's cleared that up then :D

But what if you don't have a dog (or cat) with you and you still get "muggled" by cows?

This pic was taken yesterday at Castle View where I got surrounded by a couple of dozen mid sized bullocks. My only way out was over the fence. (the picture doesn't show the others all around me licking me and my GPS....errrgh!) :D

bfe67254-1b05-4351-9cda-a6687dd137e9.jpg

The second was also taken yesterday at Golden Fields Of Wheat where I was again followed by a similar size herd of much smaller bullocks! They were quite fun and although curious about me, were nowhere near as confident :D

b4860f4a-ffd9-4ed8-bcb1-0876d167cbf8.jpg

Anyone got a decoy I can borrow? :mad::D:D

Edited by nediam

I got attacked by a rather vicious dog when caching recently. Luckily it had a muzzle on, but it was barking it's head off, leaping all over me and doing it's utmost to bite me, but luckily failing because of the muzzle.

The owner wandered up and said 'oh sorry' and dragged the dog off (still barking and foaming at the mouth). I think it should also have been on a lead, as it was obviously a problem mutt.

An interesting experience, I have to say. I was pretending to be not bothered and confident at the time so the dog might give up and go away. Arrival of the owner saved the dog from receiving a good kick from yours truly.

Spooky!

I came online this afternoon to start a new thread about "Geocaching - It can be very Dangerous."

Yesterday, en route to one of my clubs I decided to stop off in one of the small villages I pass through, taking the trouble out of traffic jams, in order to check out a location for a cache.

I set off down the lane and followed the Public Footpath signs. Like Dave - Mancurian Pyrocacher

Due to the shape of the field and the fact that it forms a hill in the middle, I could not see that a herd of cows were in situ. It was only when I heard them charging and felt the ground rumble did I become aware that they were there. I picked up Trixie just in time to face aproximatly 25 cows charging at me, luckily enough they just seemed curios.

I too never saw or had any inkling of their presence until I was nearly at the other side of the field.

To make things worse, the footpath was not a well worn one and did not appear to lead to an obvious stile. In the field were about 30 cows - no calves visible - and a horse. As I looked over towards them they had already stopped doing whatever they were doing and EVERYONE of them was staring at me. I managed to traverse some gorse and brambles in order to keep my distance and avoid them. As I did this, one turned and walked off. The others followed - except one. This cow aided and abetted by the horse started to stroll in my direction. I turned and slowly walked away. Looking over my shoulder, to my horror were the 30 cows PLUS horse heading my way - rapidly!

This was scary. Yes maybe they were curious but to be honest I wasn't going to hang around and have a chat with them. moving pretty quickly now I managed to escape into a nearby field over a metal gate. This was not an incident I would like to repeat. Like I said in the log of a cache I did with my daughter, "they're bigger.."

Maybe cows are docile most of the time but please take heed: Geocaching can be dangerous

PS This is still a good place to place a cache!!!

Some years ago I was driving along a country road and turned a corner to meet a herd of cows being driven towards us along the road. Tried to back up but the queue of traffic didn't get the message and start moving quickly enough. So I tried to pull in as tight as possible in a layby, which actually left enough space for 2 cars to pass, it wasn't a single track road.

Any way, one of the cows decided that it was better to try and climb over my 2 month old Laguna. That is quite frightedning I can tell you, especially with a young child screaming in the back. A full grown cow with full weight on the bonnet does quite a bit of damage. It was just about to go up on the roof or possibly put a foot through the windscreen when it's feet slipped and it rolled of sideways.

Car was a bit of a mess. The insurance forms were great fun to fill in.

What colour was the other vehicle? : Black and white.

Make and model: Fresian?

Registration number: Didn't look

What speed was the other vehicle going? 2 Mph

Did it sound its horn? Didn't look closely enough to see if had horns.

Funny how the guy driving the herd didn't know who they belonged to, where he was taking them, or his own phone number, judging by the fact that the number he wrote down was unobtainable and the farm he claimed to live on didn't exist. Also the people that lived in the farmhouse didn't know who owned the cows that had just come out of the field next to his house. This was about the time the BSE was just kicking off and I must admit I wouldn't have been upset to hear that his herd had been struck. This was followed up by foot and mouth and again my heart wouldn't have bled for him.

Hi,

Ive enjoyed reading this thread. I too have left doing caches because of the cows.

I did a cache where I walked through this field and there wasnt a cow to be seen then I just passed this bush and a herd of them come charging up right towards me, I was startled and panicked. Im not the fittest of peeps but I ran and the ground was all muddy and cow patted but I still ran( it was like running in sand). Strange how you have the adrenalin when you need it. The problem was I knew I had to come back the same way. I got back to this field and looked and they were all spread around this field so I couldnt avoid them. I walked slowly around the edge and didnt give any eye contact. I then heard one make a loud puffing noise and when I looked it was massive the biggest cow there and it was huffing and puffing at me and slowly walking towards me. I just looked away and walked real quickly I didnt look back I could feel the cow right behind me. Its was awful but funny too.

I also had an experience with a goat who ate my paper with all the cache info on that didnt help. And I once drove towards a parking area ready to do a cache and loads of chickens came for the car.

Animals love them really and yes I have cats. lol.

Love my roast Beef though, go nice with my Yorkypuddings.

Having been caching with Deego I would say that the litlle fellar he caches with is under close and constant contol.

When Jake needs to be on a lead he has put it on one.

Back on Topic.

From experience most cows are more interested in the dog than in you. If they do come near it's normally to give you a friendly nudge or lick.

If they have just calved they can become defensive but nmost will back of if you walk towards them.

If you dont feel safe leave.

Cheers

and Ducks

most will back of if you walk towards them.

That's true, but make sure first what's dangling between their legs first :D. A lesson I learned from experience :P . We were renting a farmhouse and the owner had a cow shed in the rear yard, my OH pointed out a cow going walkies up the road, being the good neighbour I went after it in my slippers and herded it back into the yard and phoned Tom (the landlord). 10 minutes later he turned up and all we could hear was the clatter of hoofs as he chased it out of the yard :P , it turned out I'd herded a bull into the yard and it was not his :D.

Dave :D

If there are so many instances like this, then surely the Public Footpaths should be defined properly and closed in if they cross fields in which cows; bulls etc are allowed to graze freely.

I do understand that this land may well belong to the farmer and he may have given permission or must allow the right of crossing by matter of law or deed.

Are we not permitted the right to feel safe and be protected when the invite to cross over land is offered?

Comments ..... or am I being over reactive?

*Ducks down behind bush to avoid the flack and passing herd of cows*

There is a law about bulls not accompanied by cows, in fields crossed by rights of way, but I can't remember it exactly (Bulls with cows are safer than bulls without, apparently).

I'm glad other people feel the same as I do - I thought I was being a real wuss last week when I took a HUGE diversion on part of a multi-cache, rather than continue across a field with bullocks in. They were all watching me, and some coming closer, and if I'd tried to skirt round them I'd just have been walking toward others, the field was full of them. I've always believed that even if all they want to do is give you a friendly nudge, your ribs are going to be just as broken as if they meant to hurt you.

Normally I just do the "GARN, B*****R OFF!" trick, but if I'm uneasy about them (like I was last Friday) I take an alternative route.

As for uncontrolled dogs - don't get me started...