Data Loss With Explorist 200

I have a couple month old eXplorist 200. It is a replacement for my first explorist 200 that I got for Christmas and the screen got cracked. Several (4or5) times now, and just recently, it has lost its data in the middle of a hike. I am zeroing in on a cache and the screen will flash and it will ask me for my location (North America), state, etc. Of course, POI are gone...its very frustrating. Also, a few times, maybe three, I have turned the thing on to find that all of my POI are gone, without it asking for location. Anyone else have simular experiences? Is this a possessed device. No warrenty on it, got it off eBay. So, does anyone know where I can get this thing fixed in Western WA, or can I somehow reset it myself (which probably won't work since that is what it seems to be doing on its own-resetting, I mean). Thanks in advance for comments and advice.

I would definitely try a "hard reset" to reset the unit back to factory condition.

[Note: the following lines are the edited, corrected sequence]

To do this, first go to a place with an open view of the sky.

Now, press MENU, then Preferences/Clear Memory/All.

You will be asked for confirmation. Click yes.

The unit will shut off and all memory will have been cleared. Now, re-start the gps, then allow it several minutes to "find" where it is. It'll take a couple minutes to begin finding/tracking satellites. You can perhaps speed things up a little by pressing Menu, then Preferences/Restart GPS. In this case, you have an opportunity to choose your country, state (or province), time, etc. so that the gps will have a better idea of a starting point. This is usually not necessary, though.

After giving it several minutes to acquire and lock on to satellites, try it out for awhile.

One note, I have had similar experiences twice, after using lithium batteries. Now, I will hasten to add that I have used lithium batts before, with no problem, so I'm not necessarily implying a cause and effect. It's just something I'm keeping an eye on.

I hope this helps. Report back!

Edited by jacques0

I think the procedure you described would be a soft reset--which, when things are odd, is what I would usually suggest to try first.

With the stakes (losing data that you have to replace manually) and the frequency this has occurred, I personally wouldn't want to wait and see if the soft reset was sufficient. I'd hop to the hard reset: with the unit off, simultaneously press and hold the Out, Goto, and Power buttons until you see the screen come up with a message asking which language you prefer.

If the data loss happens after a hard reset, I don't know what else you could do except contact Magellan for their repair intervention.

I'll note that something like this happened to me once--thank goodness only once--with my Meridian. I appreciated very much at that time having waypiont backup on the SD card, as I was able to continue the expedition after reinitializing rather than having to give up and return home.

Hey, sorry for the time that went by. I wanted to let you know that I tried your solution that very same day you posted ( and thanks for your QUICK response, BTW). It seems to have worked! No issues in the last several days, and have been out and about frequently, with the machine off and on several times. THANKS!!!

Sarah

DSDVall