Do We Have A Secret Sign?

Hey all. We just started geocaching earlier this year, so I don't know if this topic has been discussed already an nauseum, resolved, rejected, tabled, etc. yet. But here's the situation.

On several cache hunts we've encountered people whom we think may be geocachers either heading to the find or heading back from the find. But since we both think the other people are muggles, the GPSrs get quickly hidden away and we just wander past each other with innocent looks on our faces. <_< We usually shut ours off and pocket it after the find anyway. So, is there any safe way of confirming that the other person/group is geocaching? Sometimes I think of innocently mentioning the name of the cache in small talk, like if the name of the cache is "Lake Path" asking them if they know of any nice lake paths nearby. But most of the time we're just passing on a trail so conversation is difficult.

So I was thinking of some kind of insider hand gesture or secret sign that we could flash at each other to confirm that we are both indeed geocachers. Something not too weird, or gang-like, or obvious, like maybe making two quick fists with one hand, to be answered with three quick fists. So, what do you think? Too gang-ish? Any suggestions for the hand gesture (besides the obvious one :mad:)? Or should we just put geocaching stickers on our car and backpack? Or just yell at any suspected geocachers, "HEY! ARE YOU SOME OF THOSE GEO-NUTTY PEOPLES????". :angry: Thanks.

Mike

I have a purple cammo bucket hat (from Army/Navy surplus) that has our local "Northern Michigan Geocachers" patch on it and my own patch that I made with my avatar and nick. I usually get weird looks because of the purple cammo hat, and then when they are close enought to read the patches, they either grin or look puzzled. (But most realize it's some kind of club.) I've had a few ask what geocaching is. There have been no times I've met other geocachers on the hunt. Could be that the area is mostly woodlands, and population (of geocachers) more sparce than other places. But I did get a chuckle out of that 'dance'haha4.gif

I have a purple cammo bucket hat (from Army/Navy surplus)  that has our local "Northern Michigan Geocachers" patch

Did you just use the words "purple" and "camo" to describe the same object?

:)

yep! cammo pattern like in the green/tan/brown/black cammo, but there is purple/grey/white/black on it. You've never seen those different cammo patterns in denim colors? or orange/limegreen? Well, mine's purple...my sig color. Some of the local cacher folks refer to me as 'the purple lady'. :D

I use a shoulder bag for my caching. Much handier than a backpack because I can reach into it to retrieve a paper note or pencil or...whatever.

I hot-glued a geo-cache patch on the outer flap. If I get close enough to another group or person, that patch is visible. If they are one of us, it's an instant smile and conversation. If not, then I know to just keep walking and being stealthy.

And no finger gun to my chin.

Generally, if you see someone with a GPSr in their hand, and a printed cache page in the other, looking befuddled, you can be fairly certain that they are a geocacher. Then it's fairly safe to say "I'm Harry Dolphin. I just got the FTF." Unless, of course, you aren't Harry Dolphin. Then that might not work. I've met several cachers that way. Including the very kind Mrs. AddedValue who found a tricky cache for us. :mad:

Generally, if you see someone with a GPSr in their hand, and a printed cache page in the other, looking befuddled, you can be fairly certain that they are a geocacher. Then it's fairly safe to say "I'm Harry Dolphin. I just got the FTF." Unless, of course, you aren't Harry Dolphin. Then that might not work. I've met several cachers that way. Including the very kind Mrs. AddedValue who found a tricky cache for us. :mad:

You would think so, but a few months ago I was on a maint run and ran into a couple near my cache. The guy was holding a GPS and they were studying a sheet of paper and had that confused look.

I asked them if they were geocaching and the guy says "whats that?". He never heard of it. Turns out that the sheet of paper was a printed directions for the hike and the guy just bought the GPS and was trying it out. They were trying to reconcile the GPS with the text on the page.

Generally, if you see someone with a GPSr in their hand, and a printed cache page in the other, looking befuddled, you can be fairly certain that they are a geocacher.  Then it's fairly safe to say "I'm Harry Dolphin.  I just  got the FTF."  Unless, of course, you aren't Harry Dolphin.  Then that might not work.  I've met several cachers that way.  Including the very kind Mrs. AddedValue who found a tricky cache for us.  :mad:

You would think so, but a few months ago I was on a maint run and ran into a couple near my cache. The guy was holding a GPS and they were studying a sheet of paper and had that confused look.

I asked them if they were geocaching and the guy says "whats that?". He never heard of it. Turns out that the sheet of paper was a printed directions for the hike and the guy just bought the GPS and was trying it out. They were trying to reconcile the GPS with the text on the page.

Dems' muggles is tricky.

One must exercise extreme caution in giving the 'secret sign' if you're en route to a First To Find! After all, you want the other guy to take his time, right?

Dead giveaway that the other person is a geocacher: they're talking on a cell phone on a forest path instead of having a silently profound Wilderness Experience.

Dead giveaway that the other person is a geocacher: they look at anything but your eyes and walk quickly away from the target area.

Dead giveaway that the other person is a geocacher: they're dressed in Homeless Chic instead of a Nordstrom's jogging outfit, and there are moss stains on their bum.

Dead giveaway that the other person is a geocacher: hair full of twigs, fir needles and various insect life, also spiderwebs hanging from the eyebrows (or in my case, glasses).

My caching hat is a brown canvas fedora with my avatar superimposed over the GC logo on one side. It's fairly small, so it doesn't get noticed to easily. :D

OTOH, my caching vest is loaded to the gunwales, I have a GPS, a compass, a flashlight, leather gloves, and assorted other things hanging off of it. :mad: Real stealthy.

I doubt if we really need a "secret handshake", or a finger gun pointed at our chins. But, we have one. :D

[edit--will someone PLEASE put a spel chker in the foremz? :D ]

Edited by Shop99er

if this is meant to ellicit a sensible response then i'd just go for the badge or tshirt etc.but why turn off and hide the gps?? if they're muggles they won't have aclue what it is and ignore you. if they're cachers then they'll talk to you. no need to hide it. worst case is that a muggle will ask what it is. potential new victim for the sport.

I seems odd, but I have only met fellow cachers a very few times in my career, and in every case except one, I already knew who they were. Except for the one time at night when I thought they were the cops. But I digresss.

The one time I met unfamiliar cachers, it was obvious what they were doing, and it was obvious that they were brand new. We chatted a while, but of course there wasn't much to chat about since this was their first find--or DNF. Unfortunately, they picked a set of micros which were insanely small to do first, and they didn't look like they were having much fun. I found it for them, and suggested some other, much easier caches to try.

They never logged online, and I've never seen any trace of them again. Oh, well. We do try.