New To Geocaching

bear&fox

Good day fellow South African geocachers.

My girlfriend and I stumbled on to my first geocache purely by chance on Sunday. We bought ourselves a GPS unit just two hours ago. You could say we are hooked.

Looking forward to many discoveries, as well as placing many interesting new caches ourselves.

Cheers,

Bernard and Angela

Welcome to the sport/hobby/game/addiction!!!

It's always a pleasure to welcome new players to the game, and we, team Azaruk, sincerely hope that you will get many hours of enjoyment hunting for caches and get to go to awesome locations, some of which you probably didn't know existed!

Tell ALL your friends, and lets get even more new members here in South Africa.

Have FUN!!!!!!

Brian & Susan

Welcome

Hope you enjoy the sport. It will be nice to see new active members on the forum as well!

Be sure to follow the cache challange and also join the 2006 TB race on the Globalrat website!

See also the other South African websites---

QFC's Geocaching Rankings

Africard 2005 Travelbug Race

Geocacher.co.za My own site with a Geoshop!

Just "shout" if you need to any help or you need any information!

Hey jbvoges

Well done on your lucky find! Looking forward to seeing you around.

I'm sure everyone has been itching to ask you which province you are from, so as to gain an edge in the interprovincial cache placing challenge, but they were too polite to ask!

Hey vespavespa, why don't you set up an event cache when you come to cape town, to meet the rest of us loonies!

Sounds like the right way to be introduced to the sport ! I think this could be a first in South Africa for someone stumbling upon a cache, and not steal the darn thing. :mad: Welcome aboard. Now all we need to to know is where ? C'mon the suspense is killing me.... :D

My girlfriend and I stumbled on to my first geocache purely by chance on Sunday. We bought ourselves a GPS unit just two hours ago. You could say we are hooked.

I went to look at your profile and discovered that you haven't logged the find you stumbled over. You are quite entitled to do so.

Not many people are able to log a find before they have actually registered!!! :mad:

Enjoy!

Thanks all. Yes, I am in Cape Town. Or around 33°55.629S, 018°24.786E at the moment. Elevation 28 meters.

Will be heading off to seek at least two caches tomorrow, and possibly plant my first.

Keep well,

Bernard

Edited by jbvoges
Will be heading off to seek at least two caches tomorrow, and possibly plant my first.

Welcome to the sport, and we hope to see many contributions from the two of you in the future.

We've had much debate about newbies placing caches. As per GC.com, and general consensus, it is preferable to find a few caches before placing one of your own. This isn't meant to discourage you BTW. It's just that by finding a few caches you may have a better idea on which is the best way to place a cache, and it will probably improve the quality of your own placement. This isn't a rule, just a guideline.

It's always great to see new members, and especially one that is on the forum... yeeeeehhhhaaaa!! Unfortunately for us you are in WC. There are some great caches in Cape Town and surrounds, but we hope you make it to some other parts of the country in time as well.

Happy Caching!!! :mad:

Thanks Globalrat, we intend placing something simple, in a simple position. We will model it on the first cache we came across.

Future plans are far elaborate though! We will placing some sneaky ones on our travels around the Western Cape. We tend to travel roads that are, shall we say not tarred. I am pleased to see that the SA geocachers seem so jacked up - love the local site with all the goodies you can buy. Very impressed with that.

I'll be keeping my eyes open for cachers this weekend.

Bernard