Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

This is a process/proceedure question.

I use my 60CS for AutoNav on the weekdays and Geocaching on the weekends. What I'm trying to figure out how to do is update my cache list weekly but save my user defined waypoints (POI that I have marked personally through the GPS). I think I can use the "Clear Data before loading" checkbox to clear the list and update it with the new stuff, but when that is sent to the GPSr it only copies what it has and doesn't delete what is gone, right?

I understand thats a limitation of the GPSr, not GSAK.

So is the only way to remove the old caches to have the GPSr wipe the waypoints (and the POI that I have entered as well)?

Suggestions?

While I don't presume to have mastered all the wondrous power of GSAK, I do have most the basics down I think. But I've noticed one glitch that I'm not sure how/why it happens:

I have GSAK set up to send a custom line of "special tags" for the memo section of my Magellan Sportrak Map GPSr, but... while the memo data (i.e. %typ1-%con1-%datelf-%drop2-%hint) comes in just fine for most all the caches - for many caches, the memo field ends up utterly empty in the GPSr! This, on caches that surely have such data (cache type, date last found, etc.) included in the gpx file loaded into GSAK.

Very strange. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason to it - how come some manage to make it, while others don't???

Yep, this one is a limitation of your GPSr (much to the disgust of many Magellan users) rather than GSAK

Please see item 9 of the GSAK FAQ in the help file or online here http://gsak.net/help/hs1070.htm

This is a process/proceedure question.

I use my 60CS for AutoNav on the weekdays and Geocaching on the weekends. What I'm trying to figure out how to do is update my cache list weekly but save my user defined waypoints (POI that I have marked personally through the GPS). I think I can use the "Clear Data before loading" checkbox to clear the list and update it with the new stuff, but when that is sent to the GPSr it only copies what it has and doesn't delete what is gone, right?

I understand thats a limitation of the GPSr, not GSAK.

So is the only way to remove the old caches to have the GPSr wipe the waypoints (and the POI that I have entered as well)?

Suggestions?

Some one else might be able to answer your question more directly, but just in case you didn't know there is a great FAQ on the 60CS (created from questions/discussion from these forums) which can be found here http://home.houston.rr.com/gpsr/

Gosh thanks DV. Yup, you're right. Though I normally review the database sorted by "nearest" (and thus the stray blank memos seemed to be random), I just now looked at them sorted alphabetically and... Sure enough, 426 wpts loaded and just the FIRST 200 with memos.

Oh and, sorry CE, I didn't first look in the GSAK online FAQ - thanks. In any case, not a big deal 'cuz of course I have the memo info and MORE in my pda. And I still love my Maggie - in the woods, it surely beats comparable "G" models every time.

On the other hand, if you've put a file in the relevant directory, do you even need to boot QuickInstall from the macro? What happens if you export the .pdb to the QuickInstall/ExpCard/ directory and then hotsync, without starting QI from GSAK? Will it install it? (I can't try it at the moment since I'm on my work Mac)

This does not work either. You would think it should but it does not. The Palm installer actually writes the files to be installed to a file in the QuickInstall directory called FileList.dat. Try it out. If you add something to install and then look at the file (FileList.dat), then move the install location to the card you will see the file (FileList.dat) changes. Again it also changes when you remove them all. Because this file is not simple plain text I have no idea of how to circumvent the move without using the QuickInstall program. :unsure:

Edited for clarification

Edited by damel

Clyde:

I am unable to respond to your regsitration e-mail. Your mail server keeps bouncing all attempts to mail to [edited out], and I'm unable to decipher the header info to figure out why. It says:

[yada-yada... explcit addresses edited out to thwart span-mongers]

Nifty s/w, BTW...

Edited by jenkins-ear
On the other hand, if you've put a file in the relevant directory, do you even need to boot QuickInstall from the macro? What happens if you export the .pdb to the QuickInstall/ExpCard/ directory and then hotsync, without starting QI from GSAK? Will it install it? (I can't try it at the moment since I'm on my work Mac)

This does not work either. You would think it should but it does not. The Palm installer actually writes the files to be installed to a file in the QuickInstall directory called FileList.dat. Try it out. If you add something to install and then look at the file (FileList.dat), then move the install location to the card you will see the file (FileList.dat) changes. Again it also changes when you remove them all. Because this file is not simple plain text I have no idea of how to circumvent the move without using the QuickInstall program. :lol:

Gah, that's annoying! Well, I suppose if all the files are set to be installed to the PDA, and all you have to do is switch them to the card before you sync, it's only one action. Also you don't have to wait around the computer while it's running the macros, which is what I'm aiming for. So thanks for the help and suggestions!

Clyde - something is wrong with your e-mail account. I was able to send you a message on 7/19/2005 at 9:15pm Pacific Time. But today such messages are bouncing with the message: "SMTP error from remote mailer after initial connection"

(Edited to remove explicit e-mail and IP addresses)

Edited by Hynr

This does not work either. You would think it should but it does not. The Palm installer actually writes the files to be installed to a file in the QuickInstall directory called FileList.dat. Try it out. If you add something to install and then look at the file (FileList.dat), then move the install location to the card you will see the file (FileList.dat) changes. Again it also changes when you remove them all. Because this file is not simple plain text I have no idea of how to circumvent the move without using the QuickInstall program. :rolleyes:

Gah, that's annoying! Well, I suppose if all the files are set to be installed to the PDA, and all you have to do is switch them to the card before you sync, it's only one action. Also you don't have to wait around the computer while it's running the macros, which is what I'm aiming for. So thanks for the help and suggestions!

I have tried to automate the hotsyncing-to-SD-card process as well. The latest suggestion I learned about here (using Quickinstall) does not work for me as I cannot even find that program anywhere in my Palm stuff. I would definitely be interested in a solution to getting stuff to the SD card if someone can find it.

My current recourse to the problem is to NOT hotsync anything from inside GSAK, but rather store all the pdb files in a known folder. Then at the end of a set of macro commands that generate several of these, I run a .bat file that copies the files to a memory card reader. I have to remember to take the card from the PDA and put it there. That's not too hard; what I find hard is to remember to put it back to the PDA afterwards.

Clyde - something is wrong with your e-mail account. I was able to send you a message  to clyde at gsak dot net on 7/19/2005 at 9:15pm Pacific Time. But today such messages are bouncing with the message: "SMTP error from remote mailer after initial connection:    host filter.iinet.net.au [203.0.178.195]: 554 mail.iinet.net.au"

Yea, my blasted ISP has got a bit over zealous with spam blocking.

Should be fixed now and email sent to "clyde att gsak dot net" should no longer bounce

Edit: Hyner, could you please edit your post in this forum to remove my literal email address. Posting the actaul email address in a public formum like this is an open invitation for me to get more spam.

Edited by ClydeE
I am unable to respond to your regsitration e-mail.  Your mail server keeps bouncing all attemtps to mail to clyde....bla bla, and I'm unable to decipher the header info to figure out why.  It says:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

bla, bla,

mail.iinet.net.au

Any idea as to what's afoot?

Can you send an e-mail to davidfjenkins at earthlink dot net, and I'll try to respond?  Also, try sending one to david dot f dot jejnkins@usa.net.

Nifty s/w, BTW...

See previous post to Hyner.

Could you also please remove both literal references to my email address

(gsak.not and iinet.net.au)

Edited by ClydeE

I got several corrected coordinates in my GSKA data files for solved puzzles, multi caches, etc. Is there a way I can check on which cache coords have been changed? The offline database shows up as "corrected" but that doesn't help me locate all the ones I have changed.

I scanned the previous messages in this forum but I didn't see or I missed any similiar questions. Thanks in advance for any help.

I got several corrected coordinates in my GSKA data files for solved puzzles, multi caches, etc. Is there a way I can check on which cache coords have been changed? The offline database shows up as "corrected" but that doesn't help me locate all the ones I have changed.

I scanned the previous messages in this forum but I didn't see or I missed any similiar questions. Thanks in advance for any help.

Just set a filter on "Corrected Coordinates". That is, make sure you tick only the "yes" box for Corrected Coordinates on the "other" filter tab, then run the filter.

You display will now only show all your caches that have corrected coordinates

I have tried to automate the hotsyncing-to-SD-card process as well. The latest suggestion I learned about here (using Quickinstall) does not work for me as I cannot even find that program anywhere in my Palm stuff. I would definitely be interested in a solution to getting stuff to the SD card if someone can find it.

My current recourse to the problem is to NOT hotsync anything from inside GSAK, but rather store all the pdb files in a known folder. Then at the end of a set of macro commands that generate several of these, I run a .bat file that copies the files to a memory card reader. I have to remember to take the card from the PDA and put it there. That's not too hard; what I find hard is to remember to put it back to the PDA afterwards.

The Quick Install utility is a fairly recent addition to the Palm desktop software. I didn't have it when I first started this discussion a week or so back. You can download the latest desktop version (current version available is 4.1.4) from www.palmone.com - though I had to reinstall my USB drivers to be able to hotsync afterwards, so be warned.

I did get it working in almost one click last night - generated each cachemate file, booted QuickInstall from each macro, and it carried on with the next macro afterwards without needing any input from me. I suppose I could install all the files in one go at the end, if necessary.

One click to start the macro - reads in new .gpx files, then starts each filter, exports to GPSr, exports Cachemate file, and installs to QuickInstall, then goes on to the next filter.

After it's finished, I move the files from the "install to PDA" box to the "install to card" box, and sync the PDA. *Almost* exactly what I wanted. If anyone wants me to post my macro settings etc, let me know.

One click to start the macro - reads in new .gpx files, then starts each filter, exports to GPSr, exports Cachemate file, and installs to QuickInstall, then goes on to the next filter.

After it's finished, I move the files from the "install to PDA" box to the "install to card" box, and sync the PDA. *Almost* exactly what I wanted. If anyone wants me to post my macro settings etc, let me know.

Since it appears you guys have been fiddling around with this, I think a number of us may benefit from your efforts. You may want to submit the macro to Clyde for inclusion on the GSAK macro page.

In my database there are caches which have no date in the last found column. When I go online and look at the caches they have been found. However the last few logs are notes and not found logs. Is there a way to fix this. When I try and edit the caches, I can mark that I have found it, but I don't see a way to mark that others have found it.

I am interested in caches that have not been found by any cacher so I am trying to have GSAK show this.

Thanks

You could add a couple of PAUSE commands to the macro:

PAUSE Msg="Place card in reader"

PAUSE Msg="Return card to PDA"

In my database there are caches which have no date in the last found column. When I go online and look at the caches they have been found. However the last few logs are notes and not found logs. Is there a way to fix this. When I try and edit the caches, I can mark that I have found it, but I don't see a way to mark that others have found it.

I am interested in caches that have not been found by any cacher so I am trying to have GSAK show this.

Thanks

If people post notes in lieu of finds, there's no way for GSAK to know it's a find. Also, pocket queries only include the last four logs, so if those are notes, GSAK will not receive previous entries logged as finds from the pocket query (this is a limitation of pocket queries, not GSAK).

To manually mark those caches that you've checked on line, you could use the "User Data" column, i.e. enter the word "Found" in the User Data column. You could then filter on a combination of User Data (General Tab) and Last Found Date (Dates Tab) to achieve the results you want.

I have a curious problem (aren't they all?). I have 11 databases that I use to separate out my different areas. I then copy them all over into an "All" database that I use to upload / sort / view all the ones around the area.

When I try to create an .mps file for my All database (514 waypoints) it brings up an error that says "...is not a valid Mapsource file and could not be opened".

The only other error that I could find mentioned on the discussions said something about custom waypoints. This is not the issue here.

I have generated each database separately and they work fine so I am wondering if it is a numbers issue? If I generate a .gpx file then I can open it in Mapsource so that is my work-around for now.

I am using Mapsource 6.6.2 and GSAK 5.6.0

If people post notes in lieu of finds, there's no way for GSAK to know it's a find. Also, pocket queries only include the last four logs, so if those are notes, GSAK will not receive previous entries logged as finds from the pocket query (this is a limitation of pocket queries, not GSAK).

To manually mark those caches that you've checked on line, you could use the "User Data" column, i.e. enter the word "Found" in the User Data column. You could then filter on a combination of User Data (General Tab) and Last Found Date (Dates Tab) to achieve the results you want.

I had a BUNCH of caches on my first PQ that I thought were unfound. I was excited because there were a few that were near me.

On one of the caches, I noticed in the "nearest" search (not PQ) that it had a last found date, but in GSAK it looked unfound (no last found date).

I discovered exactly what you describe.

I wasn't smart enough to manually mark them as found, so I performed the following work around:

1. I manually downloaded the .gpx file for the caches in question.

2. I looked at the cache online and found when it was actually found (look at all logs, not just the last four). From that entry, I noted the finder ID, Date, and what they wrote.

3. I opened the .gpx file (with only four "notes" and no finds) in notepad and added a fifth log to match the last found date, finder ID, and log entry text.

4. Then, I manually opened that file with gsak and it now has the "fifth" log as the last smiley face log.

It was a little bit of work, but well worth it to know when a cache was found last.

Now, any caches that look unfound in GSAK are actually unfound.

I have a curious problem (aren't they all?). I have 11 databases that I use to separate out my different areas. I then copy them all over into an "All" database that I use to upload / sort / view all the ones around the area.

When I try to create an .mps file for my All database (514 waypoints) it brings up an error that says "...is not a valid Mapsource file and could not be opened".

The only other error that I could find mentioned on the discussions said something about custom waypoints. This is not the issue here.

I have generated each database separately and they work fine so I am wondering if it is a numbers issue? If I generate a .gpx file then I can open it in Mapsource so that is my work-around for now.

I am using Mapsource 6.6.2 and GSAK 5.6.0

The other reason for this error message in a .mps file is duplicate waypoint names.

Please see this post

Hi, I am using the File/Print/Condensed HTML option to print details about the caches. It may be there but I can't seem to find the Difficulty/Terrain information in the resulting descriptions. Am I just missing something?

(Yes, I know that using a PDA is "THE WAY" to go - will get there eventually. Also, I have been printing a "grid" for cross-referencing the D/T info so I can carry it.)

Thanks,

J

Hi, I am using the File/Print/Condensed HTML option to print details about the caches.  It may be there but I can't seem to find the Difficulty/Terrain information in the resulting descriptions. Am I just missing something?

(Yes, I know that using a PDA is "THE WAY" to go - will get there eventually. Also, I have been printing a "grid" for cross-referencing the D/T info so I can carry it.)

The default GSAK settings shows the difficulty and terrain as part of the cache description, so it would seem you have changed these.

Go to Tools=>Options=>HTML and look at the "Waypoint description for HTML view". The default settings shipped with GSAK is:

%name by %by (%dif/%ter)

Of course you can use any special tags you like here, but change to the above and then your print out will show your missing terrain and difficulty

Edited by ClydeE

I download a .gpx file of the caches in my area twice per week. I have been doing this for the past four months or so and it seems that a few of the caches that are listed at geocaching.com don't make it to the .gpx file. ( Which obviously means I cannot find it in GSAK.) The caches are NOT members only, I am unable to figure out why they don't get downloaded (or selected). As an example cache GCM0NV is a active traditional cache, yet I don't have it listed in GSAK, any thoughts???

Thanks,

Joe B.

I download a .gpx file of the caches in my area twice per week. I have been doing this for the past four months or so and it seems that a few of the caches that are listed at geocaching.com don't make it to the .gpx file. ( Which obviously means I cannot find it in GSAK.) The caches are NOT members only, I am unable to figure out why they don't get downloaded (or selected). As an example cache GCM0NV is a active traditional cache, yet I don't have it listed in GSAK, any thoughts???

Search the GPX file to confirm the cache is in it or not.

It sounds like to me that you are reaching the limit of your pocket query.

If you don't set a limit, any one PQ will only return a maximum of 500 caches.

Hey Clyde,

Just wanted you to know that I got my copy of GSAK registered finally. Well worth every penny! I also wanted to put my vote in for a large catalog of waypoint symols so we can manage all our waypoints, even the non-geocache ones. :):)

Thanks for a great product!

Hi,

I tried to search the forums (ALOT of them !!) but couldn't find any info about this pb, it may be a user error but I would like to know where.

I load WPTs to my eXplorist500 using the Geocache Mgr, but when doing this I lose the Cache size info in case the cache is eg MICRO.

Trad and Multi seem to work OK.

The size info is correct in GSAK but if I can read the .GPX file correctly, the size info for a micro cache has been changed to regular before I load it into Geocache MGR.

Can anyone point a quick help ??

I load WPTs to my eXplorist500 using the Geocache Mgr, but when doing this I lose the Cache size info in case the cache is eg MICRO.

Trad and Multi seem to work OK.

Trad and multi are cache types, not container types. Micro is a container type. Explorist has a field for cache type. It does not have one for container type.

You may insert container type in one of the other fields, such as placer or comment.

My old hard drive failed but the compter guy was able to save some stuff, including most of my GSAK stuff.

How do I recover this data and get it all reloaded into my GSAK?

Also, I need instructions on setting my "Home" again.

And finally, I crushed my GPSr in my trunk and had to get a new screen. July was a very expensive month for me.

It now appear the memory card is blank. How do I see what is still on this card. Magellan Meridian Color.

Thank for all of your support. I would be lost with out you (gender non-specific) guys.

-Cole

How do I recover this data and get it all reloaded into my GSAK?

Your going to get into trouble here if you only have only recovered partially here.

This is one of the reasons it is so important to take backups (File-Backup) and store them away from your computer.

My recommendation would be:

1. Download and install the latest version of GSAK from http://gsak.net

2. Restore (File=Restore) your most recent backup

If you don't have a backup, then load back in GPX files to populate your database

If you have lost your registration information you can get it back here http://gsak.net/lost.php

Also, I need instructions on setting my "Home" again.

Tools=>Options=>Locations and add a locaion of "Home" (as per the example) click on the help button for more information.

It now appear the memory card is blank. How do I see what is still on this card. Magellan Meridian Color.
This is really a non specific GSAK question and should be asked in another thread

Hi, I was wondering how does GSAK recognize my found or placed caches? I understand the system, but does it look just through the 5 offline logs attached to each cache or does it search through all the logs for corresponding caches? Because most of my found caches are o.k., but there are some that GSAK doesnt recognize as found. I have set Exact match as a method.

Thanks for answering this.

P.S. I loooove this proggie.

Trenki

And adding to Trenki's question: If my PQ only sends caches I haven't found...is there anything I need to do to GSAK to either show them as found or just delete the entry?

You can do either (right click on the waypoint to edit your found status) or just leave it and ithe next time you load your pocket queries set GSAK to erase the database first.

How can I have more finds than records ?

Let me explain: I have a database with all of my finds. Last week there were 389 records in this database and the "yellow" count was 389. Most of the finds come from a PQ but a few of them I've added by hand over the months.

In the last week, I've found 9 caches, making a total of 398. I just got my weekly PQ and dragged the GPS file into GSAK. It contains about 366 records (it's normal for there to be fewer than the total finds, as the archived ones don't appear).

The bottom line of my GSAK screen now says:

Subset: None 398 Shown (all waypoints) Counts: 403 0 0 24.

So the number of records is correct, but the "yellow" count has gone up by 14 instead of by 9. Where should I start to look to find the 5 extra "found" entries ?

Thanks

Nick

Hi, I was wondering how does GSAK recognize my found or placed caches? I understand the system, but does it look just through the 5 offline logs attached to each cache or does it search through all the logs for corresponding caches? Because most of my found caches are o.k., but there are some that GSAK doesnt recognize as found. I have set Exact match as a method.

Thanks for answering this.

P.S. I loooove this proggie.

Trenki

There is actually two ways GSAK determines if a cache is found by you or not.

If the source of the GPX file is from Groundspeak there is and indicator in the file to say the cache is found by you or not. GSAK firstly looks for this indicator and uses it to update your found status.

However, for some reasons there are exceptions (web cam caches for example) where a found cache does not actually have this indicator so GSAK then searches all the logs (using this method) of the PQ for a found log.

When you ask for a PQ from grounspeak, you get the last 5 logs plus all your own. This way GSAK can interrogate the logs to recognize all your found caches. Unfortunately, PQs to not contain archived caches, so if you want to reconcile your found count exactly to gc.com you will need to download these manually. For work arounds in GSAK for archived caches please see this post

How can I have more finds than records ?

Let me explain: I have a database with all of my finds.  Last week there were 389 records in this database and the "yellow" count was 389.  Most of the finds come from a PQ but a few of them I've added by hand over the months.

In the last week, I've found 9 caches, making a total of 398.  I just got my weekly PQ and dragged the GPS file into GSAK.  It contains about 366 records (it's normal for there to be fewer than the total finds, as the archived ones don't appear).

The bottom line of my GSAK screen now says:

Subset: None  398 Shown (all waypoints)  Counts: 403 0 0 24.

So the number of records is correct, but the "yellow" count has gone up by 14 instead of by 9.  Where should I start to look to find the 5 extra "found" entries ?

As MotleyCrew suggested, first try a Database=>Repair/defrag. I doubt that will fix your issue, but it will make sure we are starting from the correct point.

Please see my recent previous post about how GSAK recognizes finds.

In your situation what you must be aware of is that Groundspeak allow more than one find for a cache (That is, you can have more than one found log - an event cache for example)

So this means that in your GSAK database you have (intentionally or not) 1 or more caches will multiple found logs.

Use the log filter to find and isoloate these caches. Then depending if the logs are valid or not you can use the right click menu option to delete the individual offending logs.

Edited by ClydeE

Something I've noticed and keep forgetting to mention.

GSAK (or CMConvert?) isn't sending Corrected Coordinates to the PDA, but sends just fine to the GPSrS.

I suspect this is "working as designed" and not a bug. If that's the case, any chance of having the corrected coordinates sent as well? I can see both sides of doing it, and how to solve it - without taking programming considerations into play.

The pro would be the PDA matches the GPSr. The con would be the original coords wouldn't be there if something needed to be done with them.

In a perfect world, Senor Smitty could/would modify Cachemate to have a secondary "Corrected Coordinate" field that Clyde could use. Perhaps CWE and BS could have a pow-wow. :D

In the interim.. if it *is* working as deisgned, what's the possbility of adding the corrected coordinates - or the original coordinates, if the coorected are "posted" to the PDA - as a log entry or something?

Just a thought..

the magellan SD format is a new feature, made just for the new explorist series. this is a limit of the explorist(only allowing 200caches to contain data) i think this may be what is going on, but someone else may be able to explain better

Something I've noticed and keep forgetting to mention.

GSAK (or CMConvert?) isn't sending Corrected Coordinates to the PDA, but sends just fine to the GPSrS.

I suspect this is "working as designed" and not a bug. If that's the case, any chance of having the corrected coordinates sent as well? I can see both sides of doing it, and how to solve it - without taking programming considerations into play.

The pro would be the PDA matches the GPSr. The con would be the original coords wouldn't be there if something needed to be done with them.

In a perfect world, Senor Smitty could/would modify Cachemate to have a secondary "Corrected Coordinate" field that Clyde could use. Perhaps CWE and BS could have a pow-wow. :D

In the interim.. if it *is* working as deisgned, what's the possbility of adding the corrected coordinates - or the original coordinates, if the coorected are "posted" to the PDA - as a log entry or something?

Just a thought..

Hmm, I can't replicate this, so if it is happening it is a bug.

Currently all GPX files that GSAK generates should be with the corrected coordinates (though there will be an option in the next version) and not the original ones.

For the Cachemate generation, GSAK just generates a GPX file and hands it over to CMConvert to do the actual conversion.

I just tried this with a cache that had corrected coordinates and that is what shows in the GPX file.

Are you sure your cache in Cachemate is being updated with the GSAK export?

Please check the file CMATE.GPX in the "temp" folder of the install folder of GSAK. This is the GPX file that GSAK generates and passes on to CMConverft. Does this file have the corrected coordinates?

If it does, then it would appear your cachemate database is not being updated with the export you are doing from GSAK and we then need to track down why this is so.