Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Is there anyway to use a GIS shapefile as a polygon filter? TIA.

Only if you can convert the GIS shape file to Lat - Lon pairs suitable for the GSAK polygon filter.

GPSBabel may be able to do this but I am honestly not sure.

I ended up with 5 or 6 delorme TXT files.  I asked a local cacher who knows more Perl than me to come up with a quick script to consolidate those TXT files into one.

For some reason I didn't notice this message. Now Perl is a nice glue language letting you do all kinds of things that OS's don't provide. But it isn't required to combine text files "copy" has options for this.

copy /a /y active_found.txt+active_notfound.txt+archived_found.txt+archived_notfound.txt+disabled_found.txt+disabled_notfound.txt ame.txt

The /a means the files are ascii and may need EOF character removed the "+" show which files to combine, and of course the copy is all one long line.

Yeah, I tried that first, Allan. No dice.

Something with the multiple "BEGIN SYMBOL" or "END" statements in the file was tripping up my Delorme, so I had to strip them out.. ergo, handy Perl.

GPSBabel is still the quicker answer for GSAK users though, unless they wanna be a dork like myself and do it the harder way. As Robertlipe pointed out, not everybody is going to have perl (or cygwin, for that matter) installed on their box.

Yeah, I tried that first, Allan. No dice.

As Robertlipe pointed out, not everybody is going to have perl (or cygwin, for that matter) installed on their box.

That will teach me to pay more attention, I read the english and not the perl code and thought it was doing the same thing as a copy. Just now when I read the code I can see it is doing more than that.

I assume you know that you don't have to have cygwin to run Perl on a Windows box.

Just curious, why doesn't GSAK update the found status based on imported notes from GPX Sonar. The notes say Found It.

The import notes feature is just a generic way to add notes into GSAK - not something specific for GPXSonar.

On "the list" is a more specific GPXSonar import (similar to the CacheMate import) that would update your finds and other items.

Hi. I'm trying to load caches from GSAK to a 60cs using custom icons. I'm doing something wrong. I've successfully (I think) installed 8 custom icons in the 60cs using xImage (I can see them when looking at all the icons listed under the Custom heading on the 60cs).

I've created a file GarminOther.txt in the GSAK directory. File contains: 000; Traditional ... 001; Multi-cache (etc.). I also have 000.bmp etc files in this directory (don't know if this makes any difference).

On GSAK "Send Waypoints to GPS" I see in the GPS Symbols table that "Traditional=000; Traditional ... Multi=001... etc". are listed. Previously, I went through the "Change" screen and associated each Cache Type with the Icon text, and on the right part of this screen everything seems correctly assoicated. I clicked the "Cache Type Only" radio button. I didn't make any "Basic Icons" (overrides) active.

So I send and it does indeed send. I use %smart as the waypoint name and limit to 10 characters. The waypoint description name I use is "%Name by %By (%Dif/%Ter)"

However, on the 60cs the wrong set of icons are displayed ... I see a smaller "Marker" symbol for Traditional, and a "Civil Bell" symbol for Multi, and a "POI $" symbol for Mystery.

Does anyone have a clue why these are not mapping the right set of custom icons?

I would REALLY appreciate some help!!

Thanks

Hal

Hi. I'm trying to load caches from GSAK to a 60cs using custom icons. I'm doing something wrong. I've successfully (I think) installed 8 custom icons in the 60cs using xImage (I can see them when looking at all the icons listed under the Custom heading on the 60cs).

I've created a file GarminOther.txt in the GSAK directory. File contains: 000; Traditional ... 001; Multi-cache (etc.). I also have 000.bmp etc files in this directory (don't know if this makes any difference).

On GSAK "Send Waypoints to GPS" I see in the GPS Symbols table that "Traditional=000; Traditional ... Multi=001... etc". are listed. Previously, I went through the "Change" screen and associated each Cache Type with the Icon text, and on the right part of this screen everything seems correctly assoicated. I clicked the "Cache Type Only" radio button. I didn't make any "Basic Icons" (overrides) active.

So I send and it does indeed send. I use %smart as the waypoint name and limit to 10 characters. The waypoint description name I use is "%Name by %By (%Dif/%Ter)"

However, on the 60cs the wrong set of icons are displayed ... I see a smaller "Marker" symbol for Traditional, and a "Civil Bell" symbol for Multi, and a "POI $" symbol for Mystery.

Does anyone have a clue why these are not mapping the right set of custom icons?

Please see the section "Custom icons" in the help file or online here http://gsak.net/help/hs32540.htm

Basically, you must make sure you name your custom icons in the GarminOther.txt file:

Custom 0

Custom 1

Custom 2

Custom 3

Hi.  I'm trying to load caches from GSAK to a 60cs using custom icons.  I'm doing something wrong.  I've successfully (I think) installed 8 custom icons in the 60cs using xImage (I can see them when looking at all the icons listed under the Custom heading on the 60cs).

I've created a file GarminOther.txt in the GSAK directory.  File contains: 000; Traditional ... 001; Multi-cache (etc.).  I also have 000.bmp etc files in this directory (don't know if this makes any difference).

On GSAK  "Send Waypoints to GPS" I see in the GPS Symbols table that "Traditional=000; Traditional ... Multi=001... etc".  are listed.  Previously, I went through the "Change" screen and associated each Cache Type with the Icon text, and on the right part of this screen everything seems correctly assoicated.  I clicked the "Cache Type Only" radio button.  I didn't make any "Basic Icons" (overrides) active.

So I send and it does indeed send.  I use %smart as the waypoint name and limit to 10 characters.  The waypoint description name I use is "%Name by %By (%Dif/%Ter)"

Please see the section "Custom icons" in the help file or online here http://gsak.net/help/hs32540.htm

Basically, you must make sure you name your custom icons in the GarminOther.txt file:

Custom 0

Custom 1

Custom 2

Custom 3

Thank you ... thank you ... thank you! I think I'm about 90% there. I now see the custom icons on the 60cs. I was assuming the tag had to be the name of the bitmap file. (I should also learn to read because the example you gave was correct.) I was able then to download these waypoints into Mapsource and see them there as well.

However, when I used GSAK to generate a mapsource file, Mapsource compained that the .mps was not a valid file. I understand that this may be a Mapsource problem, but if you have a clue, it would be appreciated.

Thank you ... thank you ... thank you!  I think I'm about 90% there.  I now see the custom icons on the 60cs.  I was assuming the tag had to be the name of the bitmap file.  (I should also learn to read because the example you gave was correct.)  I was able then to download these waypoints into Mapsource and see them there as well.

However, when I used GSAK to generate a mapsource file, Mapsource compained that the .mps was not a valid file.  I understand that this may be a Mapsource problem, but if you have a clue, it would be appreciated.

Unfortunately custom icons are not supported in the .mps file format.

Custom icons are only supported in the new GDB format (I think?) and for the reasons why GSAK/GPSBabel does not support GDB please see http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...dpost&p=1386208

The good news is that there is a work around.

MapSource (from version 6.0 or 6.5 I think?) supports loading of GPX files directly. So all you need to do is generate a GPX file from GSAK but make sure you tick the box "Make symbols <sym> element same as last GPS send" Then load this into MapSource. Now your custom icons should show up B)

Edit: And thanks for bringing this to my attention - I will add this information to the help file and link I provided in my previous post.

Edited by ClydeE
When I use the Get Mail option, GSAK gets the Query from my mail server, but it also seems to load old GPX files from the temp folder. Is this correct?

Just like any other load, after a Getmail download, GSAK will just load what ever files are in the folder you tell it to.

If you want to make sure GSAK only loads the new files that were just downloaded then you must tick the box "Delete files loaded when finished" in your corresponding load dialog (that is the settings you are using in your "Load folder of saved .....")

This is my first experience with Gsak. I downloaded it and i found the pprogram very cool. Some how while tring to set my home coordinates I messed it up. Now everytime I try to start up Gsak I get a pop up. at first there is some sort of loading bar goes by hen another window replaces it. This new window is titled "Exception Log" then it says "TPerlRegEx.Compile()-Please specifya regular expression in RegEx first." then there are three options i can click Restart, Ok, and Details. I have gone through all of these and have not been able to get into the program. I have also tried uninstalling the program and re installing it but nothing has worked. I am wondering if anyone can help me fix this problem. I am anxious to use the program for future caching with friends. Thanks to those who read this.

This is my first experience with Gsak. I downloaded it and i found the pprogram very cool. Some how while tring to set my home coordinates I messed it up. Now everytime I try to start up Gsak I get a pop up. at first there is some sort of loading bar goes by hen another window replaces it. This new window is titled "Exception Log" then it says "TPerlRegEx.Compile()-Please specifya regular expression in RegEx first." then there are three options i can click Restart, Ok, and Details. I have gone through all of these and have not been able to get into the program. I have also tried uninstalling the program and re installing it but nothing has worked. I am wondering if anyone can help me fix this problem. I am anxious to use the program for future caching with friends. Thanks to those who read this.

Yea, GSAK shouldn't do this.

The next version of GSAK checks all Regular expressions to make sure they are valid so it won't crash like this.

Go to Tools=>Options=>General and look at the "Method for matching placed (hidden) and found caches" . I suspect you have inadvertently selected the "RegEx" box but have nothing in the box below. Please see the help section on this topic or view online here http://gsak.net/help/hs7690.htm

If this does not sort out the problem then it will be another RegEx that you have left blank somewhere. Rather than go through them all please email me your GSAK.ini file (you will find this file in the install folder of GSAK) and I will be able to track down the problem for you.

This is my first experience with Gsak.  I downloaded it and i found the pprogram very cool. Some how while tring to set my home coordinates I messed it up. Now everytime I try to start up Gsak I get a pop up.  at first there is some sort of loading bar goes by hen another window replaces it. This new window is titled "Exception Log" then it says "TPerlRegEx.Compile()-Please specifya regular expression in RegEx first." then there are three options i can click Restart, Ok, and Details. I have gone through all of these and have not been able to get into the program. I have also tried uninstalling the program and re installing it but nothing has worked. I am wondering if anyone can help me fix this problem. I am anxious to use the program for future caching with friends. Thanks to those who read this.

Yea, GSAK shouldn't do this.

The next version of GSAK checks all Regular expressions to make sure they are valid so it won't crash like this.

Go to Tools=>Options=>General and look at the "Method for matching placed (hidden) and found caches" . I suspect you have inadvertently selected the "RegEx" box but have nothing in the box below. Please see the help section on this topic or view online here http://gsak.net/help/hs7690.htm

If this does not sort out the problem then it will be another RegEx that you have left blank somewhere. Rather than go through them all please email me your GSAK.ini file (you will find this file in the install folder of GSAK) and I will be able to track down the problem for you.

Woops, I just realized you can't get into GSAK to do this B) - plan B B)

Open up the file GSAK.ini in your favorite text editor (or just Notepad)

Search for the entry rbtRegEx.Checked=

If my assumption is correct, after the = will be True. Now change this to False

Now search for rbtWild.Checked=

After the = will be False, now change this to True.

Now save the file and restart GSAK.

This should at least get you going (If not email me your GSAK.ini file) but please look at the link I provided and get your method for matching placed caches correctly, otherwise you are missing out on some import features that GSAK provides.

I have skimmed, but not read this thread, so if I am asking a question that has been answered, please forgive me.

I want to filter out Member Only Caches (MOC) and cannot find a filter setting for that.

Can this be done?

Not specifically. There is a way to do it, but it is involved:

1. You would need to create a PQ returning only "Member Only" caches.

2. Then when you import the file into GSAK, make sure that you check the boxes Set user flag and Clear all user flags first.

3. Then you can set a filter based on the user flag.

You have to do it this way because of the lack of the data being included in the GPX file and not because of the lack within GSAK.

I have skimmed, but not read this thread, so if I am asking a question that has been answered, please forgive me.

I want to filter out Member Only Caches (MOC) and cannot find a filter setting for that.

Can this be done?

2. Then when you import the file into GSAK, make sure that you check the boxes Set user flag and Clear all user flags first.

You have to do it this way because of the lack of the data being included in the GPX file and not because of the lack within GSAK.

If you don't want any data to update with the MOC's also check the "and ONLY update user flag if matched". All that will do is set the user flag on any MOC's in your DB matching that PQ. Then sort on User Flag = Not Set.

Thank you ... thank you ... thank you!  I think I'm about 90% there.  I now see the custom icons on the 60cs.  I was assuming the tag had to be the name of the bitmap file.  (I should also learn to read because the example you gave was correct.)  I was able then to download these waypoints into Mapsource and see them there as well.

However, when I used GSAK to generate a mapsource file, Mapsource compained that the .mps was not a valid file.  I understand that this may be a Mapsource problem, but if you have a clue, it would be appreciated.

Unfortunately custom icons are not supported in the .mps file format.

Custom icons are only supported in the new GDB format (I think?) and for the reasons why GSAK/GPSBabel does not support GDB please see http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...dpost&p=1386208

The good news is that there is a work around.

MapSource (from version 6.0 or 6.5 I think?) supports loading of GPX files directly. So all you need to do is generate a GPX file from GSAK but make sure you tick the box "Make symbols <sym> element same as last GPS send" Then load this into MapSource. Now your custom icons should show up :rolleyes:

Edit: And thanks for bringing this to my attention - I will add this information to the help file and link I provided in my previous post.

And another "thank you." Worked perfectly...Mapsource and the 60cs now show the custom icons I'm planning a trip to Arizona and many of the National Parks and Reservations do not permit physical caches...but they allow virtual. This will make it much easier to distinguish these. Thanks! Hal

Thank you for that information. I will have to try that. I don't think I am setting the User Flag for anything else, so this should work.

Thanks again!

Large databases – can you help test?

GSAK was originally designed to cater for databases of around 3000 waypoints. Response times on any action on such a database is usually quite good – even on modest hardware

However, more and more users are pumping large amounts of data into GSAK and this causes GSAK to get a bit “sticky” in some areas. For example, loading a folder of 20 individual GPX files into a database of 100,000 caches can be likened to a snail on valium. Just clicking on cancel after doing a filter can be a bit stodgy.

I have spent a lot of time in the latest version of GSAK overhauling the code for large database support to address many of these "speed" issues. Some of these areas are just not noticeable on small databases (do you really notice a difference in some action that takes 10 milliseconds as opposed to 50 milliseconds?)

As there were quite a lot of changes made to the code, this really needs testing to see if the changes will work for a larger audience. If you are a large database user (20,000+ or 10,000+ on modest hardware) and are familiar with beta software and would like to test the current development version of GSAK please reply via email. I would be particularly interested to get feedback from users with 50,000+ waypoint databases.

Hi Clyde,

Is there any way of storing the GSAK.INI file (and other settings) in another location? On my PC I load all the Apps that I use, onto my C drive and point the registry etc to the D drive. This means all data is stored there rather than on C. I take a Drive Image copy of the C drive so I can restore it if I have any problems in the future without having to reinstall everything.

The way I have GSAK set up at the moment, all my locations etc are stored on the C Drive with the program, but I'd like to get it so I don't loose all my new settings everytime I do a restore.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dean

Is there any way of storing the GSAK.INI file (and other settings) in another location? On my PC I load all the Apps that I use, onto my C drive and point the registry etc to the D drive. This means all data is stored there rather than on C. I take a Drive Image copy of the C drive so I can restore it if I have any problems in the future without having to reinstall everything.

The way I have GSAK set up at the moment, all my locations etc are stored on the C Drive with the program, but I'd like to get it so I don't loose all my new settings everytime I do a restore.

Go to Tools=>Options=>General and change your "database folder" to point to your d: drive. That will take care of all your data and database settings

For all your other settings (Filters, views, dialog settings, etc) do a File=>Backup and tick the settings box and save this file to your D: drive

Hi Clyde

I am using File | Export GPX/ LOC file ... to generate a LOC file that I later use to build up my own GoogleMaps custom page.

In my database I use the corrected coordinates to reflect the final location for multi's and puzzle caches that I have found or solved. I don't want to show these final locations to anybody that will take a look at my custom GoogleMap web page!

Is there an easy way to revert temporarily to the original coordinates?

-Denis

Is there any way of storing the GSAK.INI file (and other settings) in another location? On my PC I load all the Apps that I use, onto my C drive and point the registry etc to the D drive. This means all data is stored there rather than on C. I  take a Drive Image copy of the C drive so I can restore it if I have any problems in the future without having to reinstall everything.

Go to Tools=>Options=>General and change your "database folder" to point to your d: drive. That will take care of all your data and database settings

For all your other settings (Filters, views, dialog settings, etc) do a File=>Backup and tick the settings box and save this file to your D: drive

If I use a network folder, does it means that GSAK has multi-user capabilities?

Hi,

i have a little Problem with the Macro und Spoiler Sync

RUNPGM pgm="C:\Programme\SpoilerSync\spoilersync.exe" parms=-a Wait=Yes

don't work, because the "Wait=yes" is uses for the Waypoint File in Spoiler Sync.

I tried it in every Combination :o Any Ideas?

bye

Roland

I am using File | Export GPX/ LOC file ... to generate a LOC file that I later use to build up my own GoogleMaps custom page.

In my database I use the corrected coordinates to reflect the final location for multi's and puzzle caches that I have found or solved. I don't want to show these final locations to anybody that will take a look at my custom GoogleMap web page!

-Denis

No, there is no easy way.

Best I can offer is a somewhat convoluted work around.

1. Export to a LOC file

2. Load this loc file into a new database

3. Load a GPX file from gc.com that at least contains the waypoints that had corrected coordinates

4. Now use this database to generate your LOC file for the Google maps.

If I use a network folder, does it means that GSAK has multi-user capabilities?

Sort of, but not in the true sense of the word.

That is, you can have multiple user share the same GSAK database folder but not simultaneously

i have a little Problem with the Macro und Spoiler Sync

RUNPGM pgm="C:\Programme\SpoilerSync\spoilersync.exe" parms=-a Wait=Yes

don't work, because the "Wait=yes" is uses for the Waypoint File in Spoiler Sync.

I tried it in every Combination :o Any Ideas?

This problem will be fixed in the next release.

However you can work around this problem now by swapping the order of the parms and wait tokens.

So change this line to:

RUNPGM pgm="C:\Programme\SpoilerSync\spoilersync.exe" Wait="Yes" parms=-a

In my database I use the corrected coordinates to reflect the final location for multi's and puzzle caches that I have found or solved. I don't  want to show these final locations to anybody that will take a look at my custom GoogleMap web page!

-Denis

No, there is no easy way.

Best I can offer is a somewhat convoluted work around.

1. Export to a LOC file

2. Load this loc file into a new database

3. Load a GPX file from gc.com that at least contains the waypoints that had corrected coordinates

4. Now use this database to generate your LOC file for the Google maps.

Oh Oh! :o

Could this be a simple option when exporting to a GPX or LOC file?

Available in a future release ??? :blink:

Bye

Added to "the list"

Um, Clyde, while you got the "list" out, would you add filter / database support for MOC?

*I would hate to see this list, it's gotta be a long SOB*

I wouldn't be able to amtomate this because MOC caches are not indicated in the GPX files from Geocaching.com so you would have to flag them manually.

You can really do this now by using the "user data" column

I have a (hopefully quick) question about using macros, apologies if it's been asked/answered before.

I've just started using macros to do my regular cache management stuff. Here is how I've set it up:

A macro for "Traditional, unfound" calls that filter, outputs the caches to GPSr and the Cachemate file to my PDA. I have more macros doing the same thing for Multi, Mystery, Virtual, Webcam, and My Owned caches, so 6 in total. Then I have one more macro, "UPDATE", which calls each of these individual macros in turn. All of them run without errors.

The intention is that I can load my pocket queries into GSAK, connect the GPSr and press one button, sync my PDA, and have it update everything. The problem I'm having is that each time it outputs a CacheMate file it installs it to the PDA, which opens the Palm install tool, requiring a click in that program to acknowledge that it's done. (On earlier versions, I've had GSAK crash if you don't click "Done" on the install tool before attempting to install the next Palm file, not sure if this'll still happen in 5.6).

So, is there a way to specify in the macro that I don't want to automatically install the .pdb files to the Palm? Or better still, is there some way to automatically click/dismiss the Palm install tool so that the "UPDATE" macro can continue with the next file without me needing to sit at the computer clicking "Done"??

In the File=>Export=>CacheMate dialog just uncheck the box "Install to palm after conversion"

I think that Dr. Boggis still wants that one button sync option that he had before. Where instead of finding the files where he created them and moving them into the install program, he just wants to press the HotSync button and have everything transfer.

Clyde is correct Dr. Boggis, or at least half correct as I think I have the missing piece you are looking for.

1) Do what Clyde suggests and turn off the "Install to palm after conversion" checkbox on all your cachemate outputs.

2) Add a line similar to this at the end of your macro:

RUNPGM Pgm="C:\Progra~1\palmOne\QuickInstall.exe" Parms=C:\Progra~1\palmOne\<hotsync_username>\QuickInstall\<HandHeld | ExpCard>\cache_mate_file_you_created.pdb

- this points to the file you made earlier in the macro, Note: use one line like this per file you created.

Although it seems like the regular install program needs to be closed every time between each file being added, the quick install does not seem to have this restriction. This is the best fix I have found so far. The QuickInstall box will open, but only once and it does not appear to need to be closed for the script to keep on running. Plus you don’t even have to close it to hotsync your palm.

This is still causing me problems. I've installed the latest Palm desktop which has the QuickInstall, and in GSAK I unchecked the box for Install to Palm when running a Cachemate export.......but now it still uses the old Install tool which I need to click "done" on, and there is no Cachemate dialog box at all any more, even when just running a basic export without using a macro! What's going on?

P.S. The QuickInstall option from the Macro works now, but it still does a regular install beforehand as well!!

I would guess that the settings which contain a checked "Install to palm after convertion" is still being used by the cachemate export. Make sure that you uncheck this option and save the settings. Then use this saved settings for the macro.

ie..in the following the settings is called 'Normal' so you would make sure that the cache export settings called 'Normal' had the "Install to palm after convertion" unchecked and then resaved as 'Normal'

EXPORT Type=CMT Settings="Normal" File="C:\Progra~1\palmOne\<hotsync_username>\QuickInstall\<HandHeld | ExpCard>\cache_mate_file_to_create.pdb"

OK, I've managed to disable the auto-install to Palm, and it's creating the .pdb file in the correct directory for QuickInstall\ExpCard\ (I want it on my memory card, not the PDA). Unfortunately, when the macro boots QuickInstall, it tries to install it to the PDA. Is there some way of forcing the QuickInstall to put it on the card instead? Not sure what the macro option would be.....

OK, I've managed to disable the auto-install to Palm, and it's creating the .pdb file in the correct directory for QuickInstall\ExpCard\ (I want it on my memory card, not the PDA). Unfortunately, when the macro boots QuickInstall, it tries to install it to the PDA. Is there some way of forcing the QuickInstall to put it on the card instead? Not sure what the macro option would be.....

Hrm, I get the same thing here :) . I had assumed that creating the file in the ExpCard directory would fix this but it does not. Looks like quickinstall only installs to the PDA by default.

I can't seem to find a fix for this (Other then just moving the files between windows (handheld vs ExpCard) before you hotsync).

Anyone else have any ideas?

On the other hand, if you've put a file in the relevant directory, do you even need to boot QuickInstall from the macro? What happens if you export the .pdb to the QuickInstall/ExpCard/ directory and then hotsync, without starting QI from GSAK? Will it install it? (I can't try it at the moment since I'm on my work Mac)

While I don't presume to have mastered all the wondrous power of GSAK, I do have most the basics down I think. But I've noticed one glitch that I'm not sure how/why it happens:

I have GSAK set up to send a custom line of "special tags" for the memo section of my Magellan Sportrak Map GPSr, but... while the memo data (i.e. %typ1-%con1-%datelf-%drop2-%hint) comes in just fine for most all the caches - for many caches, the memo field ends up utterly empty in the GPSr! This, on caches that surely have such data (cache type, date last found, etc.) included in the gpx file loaded into GSAK.

Very strange. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason to it - how come some manage to make it, while others don't???